- advertisement -

Defective syringe ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Becky Stevens mom, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im not sure if it was or not but I either gave Steven 11 units of Lantus or 11 units of air:confused: I got the syringe ready for his lantus shot. I inserted the needle into his buttocks and started to depress the plunger. It seemed to be moving very easily, much more so then Ive ever had it before so I took out the syringe and turned it upside down to make sure there was insulin in there and nothing was in it except for air. It was at 7 units before I did this so I had injected 11 1/2 units already. Because I didnt know if there was any insulin in the syringe to begin with I decided to give him another 10 units of Lantus. Im hoping that I was right and that there wasnt 11 1/2 units in there because that would mean he got an extra 2 1/2 units. Either way, we will be having a long night either chasing lows or correcting highs:(

I still cant figure out what was wrong with the syringe that it just had air in it. Im almost sure that I had the needle in the insulin when I was drawing it up. From now on I think I will draw up a little extra to squirt it out and make sure its in there

2. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Here's to hoping for a good night for you and steven..Hope he stays in range for ya..:cwds:

3. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

I thought we've had made every mistake possible with diabetes, but haven't seen that one yet. :cwds:

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Hoping it's not too long of a night for you.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

That's happened to me and I think it's related to the relative pressure inside and outside the syringe, especially with their being not enough air inside the vial. I'm not sure. I have some techniques for making sure I'm getting insulin though- to fill the syringe I:
    1. Inject air into vial.
    2. Pull down random amount of insulin.
    3. Slam plunger up. This should make a pop sound and get rid of air. If it doesn't, I go back to step 2. Sometimes I have noticed the reason that it didn't was that no insulin came down in step 2.
    4. Pull plunger down slowly to desired number of units.
    5. Wait for the syringe to look full.
    6. Inject

6. Becky Stevens mom

This is exactly how I do it normally. i usually have to push the insulin back in as there are bubbles that I have to get out but there didnt seem to be any last night so I didnt bother. I have to admit that I was wool gathering while gettting the syringe ready and I think thats why this happened. Ive been doing this so long that Im on automatic pilot now but this woke me up to the possibilities of mistakes being made so I will be sure to do it this way from now on. Thank you for this suggestion Jonah:cwds:

7. Becky Stevens mom

Well, Im still not sure exactly what happened or how much insulin Steven truly got last night but here's how it played out. I tested Steven before bed at 9:30 and he was 250, gave correction while thinking that was pretty much how the night was going to go. Hubby tested him when he got home from work 2 hours later and he was 124. He then got up nearly 3 hours later and tested again and he was 128. At wake up this morning he was 142. I almost jumped up and down when I saw that:D I was so sure that we were in for a night of problems because of my not paying attention to what I was doing. Im so glad I was let off easy this time and wont let it happen again. Thank you to everyone for your concern:cwds: