- advertisement -

Deep sea fishing...bad idea??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashleesmommy, Jun 24, 2012.

1. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

We have plans to go to the Texas gulf coast. When i was in college down there i loved going deep sea fishing! I thought it would be fun to take my girls on a short deep sea fishing trip, 4 hrs. The more i think about, im not sure its the greatest idea...1st off, we will be offshore, not too far, but still stuck out there on a boat! And my biggest worry is that she gets nauseated and starts throwing up d/t sea sickness. I do have zofran though. Any thoughts?? Thanks!

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

All you can do is try it.

If she gets sea sick, that is not really an emergency like the stomach flu. If it goes badly you would just end the trip and get on shore and it goes away. I wouldn't give Zofran for sea sickness.

3. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Typical response here would you worry if D was not involved? I went deep sea fishing with my dad. I was sure sea sickness would not hit me I love boating. Boy was I wrong I was so sick but it was manageable. Now I am not diabetic. But my child does get motion sickness easily and D, I would let her go. I would pack extra water, give her a lite breakfast high in protein not sweet cereal or high carb. I would make her wear a hat. Heat adds to nausea. Maybe even a hand held little fan. I would give zofran before trip and consult on max dose or ask dr about using a motion sickness bracelet too. I would also pack something for low, but my child goes high usually when vomiting so insulin is all we might need with glucagon just in case. You know your child but don't let d stop the fun or the memory. My sea sickness on the 4 hour trip still left me with memories.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

We used Bonine on our cruises and that kept us in good shape. You need to take it a bit before you get on the boat.

If you have Zofran you might bring it along in case of nausea. I've only used it for stomach flu or throwing up from migraine headaches so I'm not sure it mixes well with Bonine. You'd need to ask the dr. to know for sure.

I guess you'd never know unless you try it!

5. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

We go to Port Aransas every summer. Last year Harrison was just 3 weeks from dx when we went. My husband took him on the 4 hour trip as well. We worried so much but still did not want him to miss out. He ended up getting sick once but he never had any problems with BG, he was still honeymooning though. My husband told me that he ended up taking him inside a little room that you could buy snacks and stayed in there the rest of the trip. He had no more trouble after that.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can't imagine not going fishing, or any like outing, just because of diabetes. :confused:

7. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

Sorry, I was wrong. Husband said they were ok until it was time for Harrison to eat lunch. That's when they went inside the room, it was hot in there and that's when he got sick. So they went back outside and sat for the rest of the trip. Anyway I would say do it. Your daughter may do just fine.

8. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

That's where we'll be, in Port A. :) Glad to hear it went well!

Thanks for your responses!
    I never want to limit her from doing anything b/c of her diabetes, we never have! I think just the fact that we will be stuck out on a boat in the middle of the ocean. What if there was an emergency, how long will it take to get help?? I'm sure everything will be just fine, just can't help thinking about the what Ifs. But like yall said, we won't know until we try...so we shall try :)

9. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Remember in a real emergency we have coast guards who fly out in minutes.

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We've taken DD on 4 hour family ocean fishing trips (not deep sea fishing though) that were uneventful. In January, we went on a whale watching cruise in Hawaiian waters for several hours and a helicopter ride the next day.

Both Dramamine and Bonine make "kids" versions, which are half the adult dose. I don't know too much about the difference between the active ingredient in each, but I think they are most effective if taken in advance. I was reluctant to do that given that she hadn't been sea sick before, so I just carried it with me. We didn't use it.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

Just plan for it. Cool the insulin, enough supplies and sugar to treat lows. Glucagon. Snacks. Test strips. Enjoy.

12. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

We're going to New England this summer and my husband and the boys are going deep sea fishing for 8 - 10 hours.....It never occurred to me not to send him because of D (of course, now I'll worry a bit!)...my daughter and I aren't going because I get sick!

I have used those sea sickness wrist bands in the past, just in case, and it worked, so far in that I didn't throw up!

I would just take extra supplies and hope for the best! It's only 4 hours, and changes are, she'll be fine and have a blast!

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Depends how you want to live your life....always scared of "what if?" or planing the best you can and enjoying all life has to offer. I say go for it. It is only 4 hours.

14. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

This is exactly how we live each day.

Not to downplay your concerns because they are valid. I think you've gotten some good suggestions and positive support. I hope you do go ahead with your fishing trip.

15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

You've gotten lots of great advice (and I have none because I've not dealt with seasickness!) but I wanted to say that I totally understand your worries. I'm a huge "what if" person and I can invent all kinds of horrible scenarios for just about every situation. I've worried about tubing down the river for goodness sakes, I mean, he can't carry glucose, meter can't get wet, sometimes it's a bit remote, etc. We did it the other day and I felt stupid for ever worrying. But hey, it's what I do!

Prepare and have contingency plans, know what your action plan is and go for it. But it's OK to worry, I think that's what helps us prepare best. Just don't let your worry ruin your fun, cause you will have fun and it'll go just fine. And it'll be one more thing you'll check off your "don't need to worry about" list.

16. coni

coni Approved members

I don't think there's a diabetes emergency you couldn't handle for up to four hours if you had to. On land, for lows, you have to act faster than an ambulance, that's why you carry glucagon. For highs, you adjust with insulin, which you'll have anyway. Throwing up? Well, yeah, it would be good to be ready for that possibility, but even when my child has thrown up from a flu or something, it usually takes more than a few hours before there's the possibility of real danger that I can't manage.

Just trying to put things in perspective. I understand the concern. I worry about "what ifs" too. It could be a rough time, but then, it could be a blast!

I say, be prepared and have a good time!

17. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

You've gotten great advice here and I'm glad you are going. Have a great time.

the trick in D is NOT to let D problems turn itnot emergencies. that means you come prepared. A low is not an emergency--a low without any glucose IS and emergency. A high is not an emergency--a high without insulin and/or syringes etc. IS an emergency. If you need glucagon and you have it, that's not an emergency--it's only if you need it and you DON'T have it that you have an emergency. You see what I'm getting at. I agree that as long as you are prepared you don't have D emergencies. Emergencies only come up if you don't have what you need to manage.

So you bring snack, gluc tabs, water, insulin, supplies, testing stuff, glucagon, and a sweater. that way you are ready and can avoid emergencies. :)

18. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

We live in southern La, and spend a lot of time on the water. There are many things that can make an offshore trip miserable, and D is at the bottom of the list for me! Sea sickness is the worst, so I would suggest dramamine in the morning before you head out. I don't usually get motion sickness, but it has hit me once or twice. And it is hot as Hades, so make sure to bring a hat, cool water, and lots of sunscreen! Pack the usual snacks, sugar, and supplies and have a great time!!

This seems silly, but if anyone has long hair make sure to pack ponytail holders. It sucks to get whipped by your hair for hours on end:p

ETA: A thin long-sleeved shirt (like a men's button down) will help to keep you cool on the water. It's sounds weird, but whatever cover you can get from the sun will be appreciated!