- advertisement -

decongestant/ antihistamines?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jewlzann, Dec 20, 2009.

1. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

What does everyone use to treat the cold symptoms? It just occurred to me today that the Dimetapp I am using may be loaded with sugar and causing some of the spikes we have been having???

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

We use the Wal Mart version of Dimetapp for Molly and do not see any bg issues. We have also used Children's liquid Mucinex and haven't seen any issues. I try to stray away from Delsym b/c it's made w/ high fructose corn syrup but had to use it recently and didnt see much in the way of bg movement from that either. :eek:

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm thinking the spikes are caused more by the illness than the medicine. There may be a little but not enough to make a difference. We use any number of decongestant / cough medicines and Benadryl

4. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

I agree with Nancy and others -- there is so little carbs in the amount of medicine given, we never do anything to "bolus" for it. The value of medications far outweighs any sugar.

I believe that any antihistamine can cause an increase in BG, but then again, so does illness :cwds:

5. candise

candise Approved members

We love the Mucinex mini-melts.

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

I used to worry so much about the carbs in medicine. They make kids' medicine soooo sweet! Then one day it occured to me that one teaspoon of pure sugar would only be five carbs. Obviously there is a lot more going on in each teaspoon of medicine than just sugar and Nathan's blood sugar goes way higher than five (or even 10) uncovered carbs would take it.

What I do now is try to give him a bit of food or something that I can bolus for with medicine. That way the "fast" carbs in the medicine can be cushioned a bit with the food and insulin.

7. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

Baking Soda, Hydrogen Peroxide, and a Neti Pot.

Takes care of just about anything..and no carbs to deal with.

8. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we give food with it and then insulin. Also run a humidifier and take supplements.