- advertisement -

Declaring medical condition on Driver's license

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChocolateLover, May 6, 2014.

1. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

For someone with T1 do you declare T1 as a medical condition that could impair driving?

Thanks for your time,

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

There are medical questions that you have to answer that vary by state. Just answer honestly. My son has never lost consciousness so I was being fully truthful when it asked that question. I said yes to insulin dependent diabetes but no to loss of consciousness that may impair driving.

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We did the same.

4. mocha

mocha Approved members

It depends on how they phrase the question. When I originally got my license, I think it was phrased something along the lines of "Do you have a medical condition that could potentially lead to the loss of control of the vehicle while driving?" I remember there being a "potentially" in there.

Answering "yes" means getting a piece of paper signed by the doctor (at least it did in my case). You may or may not have to have the paperwork resigned every few years. Not a big deal, more of a pain in the butt.

5. KatieSue

Also, at least here in California, if you are treated by a doctor for loss of consciousness they have to report it to DMV and you do loose your license. I can't remember how long it's either 3 or 5 years.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

In Illinois, you have to disclose your medical condition if: •You have any medical or mental condition that may result in a loss of consciousness or any loss of ability to safely drive a vehicle, or •You take any medications that may impair your ability to drive. I think anyone with T1 falls under the first one, and arguably the second as well. So, yes. My son will disclose his diabetes when he gets his license.

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

New York says:
    "Have you had, or are you currently receiving treatment or taking medication for any condition which causes unconsciousness or unawareness such as convulsive disorder, epilepsy, fainting or dizzy spells, or heart ailment?" I said yes and had my doctor sign a form. It was not a big deal at all. I don't really see how anyone with diabetes could honestly answer no.

My parents live in DC now and wanted me to get a DC license and I haven't because it requires a form from an ophthalmologist to be signed every so often which seems like a big hassle. It's not a big deal except for the fact that I can't get a resident parking permit without it. I'm not sure what I'll do when my NY license expires when I turn 21 in November. I still have a NY address so I will probably renew that one.

8. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I live in Maryland and they require disclosing. Diabetes mellitus insulin dependent is on the list in the manual. I know there was a specific question asked while at the MVA, but I don't remember the wording. In MD there is a 10 page packet that has to be filled out by your doctor and generally it is approved, but if it requires a more thorough review (say if you did have a hypoglycemic seizure) you do have to go before a medical advisory board at the MVA. You are required you to renew your information every 2 years (but it can be more or less).

It is a hassle, but I understand why the process is needed.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

This is in relation to the State of California, but I thought it was an interesting interpretation on the issue of answering the question.

ANSWERING QUESTIONS ON THE DMV DRIVER LICENSE APPLICATION OR RENEWAL BY MAIL NOTICE:
    The most common source of confusion for individuals with diabetes when completing a DMV application, is how to answer the question, “Do you have a medical condition that may impact your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle?”
    Important clarification: The DMV is not asking whether or not an individual has diabetes. Instead, the DMV is asking if an individual’s diabetes affects their ability to drive in a safe manner. If answering “YES,” the individual is indicating that his/her diabetes will negatively affect their ability to drive. For example, the individual with diabetes may be experiencing severe episodes of hypoglycemia; may have experienced a recent loss of consciousness or had a seizure; may be unable to recognize symptoms of hypoglycemia; or may have additional health issues that impact their ability to drive in a safe manner, such as vision problems related to their diabetes.
    If answering “NO”, the individual is declaring that his/her diabetes does not “impair” their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle, including experiencing episodes of loss of consciousness or marked confusion. For example, the driver takes preventative steps to avoid hypoglycemia, and therefore their diabetes is managed safely.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That is interesting, Chris. Honestly, they should word the question differently, in my opinion, because it is sort of assuming that the question is worded differently than it is. Weird.

11. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Could you help me? We live in Orange County and my daughter has her permit now. We answered the same as you when she took the written permit test and the dmv did not say anything about it. Our endo office is adamant that we are going to need to have her get interviewed by the dmv safety office but no one at DMV said that. When I called to ask dmv the person on the phone didn't know anything about that!

I have no idea what to do, if anything. Could you tell me how the process worked for your daughter? I don't want to sign up for the behind the wheel test and have her sent away because we neglected to do something!

I would appreciate any insight you may have-thanks!

12. KatieSue

DMV never asked us any further questions nor for any further information. Another mom in a group I'm in had to get a doctors note and other paperwork filled out. I don't know if no one looked at our forms closely or what? She got her permit and license with no issues.

From the info Christopher posted earlier we were entirely truthful. She has never been unresponsive. She wasn't even in DKA when she was hospitalized. I do know other parents who answered the same and didn't have to give any further information either. I'd guess if she's got her permit already they would have asked if they were going to.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I honestly cannot remember how we answered the medical part - it was vague, asked something about a history of seizure, I think we might have said "no", we went back and forth on it. Mentioned the driver's ed at the last endo appointment and the CDE said she's take care of the paperwork. She sent some sort of letter because we got something from DMV saying that they had received it and basically that they concurred that it wasn't a liability. Hopefully when she goes for her license it won't be an issue. I don't anticipate that it will be.

14. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Thanks KatieSue!! We will just see how it goes.