- advertisement -

deciding on the pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pooh's Mom, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Pooh's Mom

Pooh's Mom Approved members

My 3 yr old was just given the go ahead to decide on the pump. I am asking insurance what they cover but if they cover more then one which does everyone recommend. Our options are Omnipod, Medtronic and onetouch ping. Please advise

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Try them all, and choose what you like the feel and fit of the most.... Reps should come to you.. :cwds:

3. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

For sure I agree with having the reps come to you and ask for sample sets to practice with before you decide. They even came to where I work to meet with me.

We went with Medtronic due to someone we know having Medtronic that raved about the pump and the customer service. It is easy (my son is 6 and knew how to use it the first day-with supervision of course). It has a lot safety features that that I like (I think the others have some of these features, too). The best one is it allows you to program the maximum number of units you can administer regardless of how many carbs you enter. This was a lifesaver (and I'm not kidding). I like that it delivers very, very tiny amounts of insulin so you can get much tighter control (well you can at least hope for much tighter control) and you can set 24 different basal rates throughout the day (I've set 10 thus far and it has helped tremendously with nighttime highs and lows). We also went with Medtronic because they are "supposed" to releasing the "Enlite" sensor continuous glucose meter that talks to the pump but I've quit holding my breath for that.

A friend of ours chose Animas...she is a swimmer and loves the beach. While she doesn't swim with the Animas on, she is around the water a lot so they wanted the peace of mind that if she did get splashed quite a bit that everything would be okay. They like it, too. Of course, my son dropped his Medtronic pump in the toilet the first week we had and it was fine.

The only thing I know about the Omnipod is that a friend of ours has one and has to tape over it repeatedly to keep it from coming off. We decided against Omnipod because my son is quite small and fairly thin so there's not a lot of good space to work with based on the size of the pod....I think they have or will be coming out with a smaller pod, so that could get interesting! I know from reading some posts that some people love it!

I'm not sure you can go "wrong". I think you'll really like it!

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Sometimes there are "Pump Fairs" at big clinics. Check with your endo. There are so many factors to consider. Omnipod is tubeless, Metronic integrates with a CGM (though many prefer a different type of CGM), Animas Ping has a remote/tester that you can dose from up to around 10 feet. Omnipod has a PDM/tester through which you dose. They all do practically the same job in delivering basal amounts (taking the place of Lantus) every 3 min. or so and dosing for carbs. Animas Ping has a few more buttons to push to dose than Metronic. Animas can dose w/ the pump but the Omnipod can only dose with the PDM. Those are the very basic differences.

As far as waterproof...Animas claims to be waterproof up to a certain number of feet, but Metronic is virtually the same, though they don't claim it. We let our daughter choose after attending a Pump Fair at our clinic (she was 17). She liked the "look" of the Animas Ping and the remote feature. Still, she only uses the remote when she's wearing a dress and has the pump tucked into her tights. Most of the time, she doses from the pump!

5. Dan

Dan Approved members

We have only used the OmniPod. We love it. We started using it when he was around 5. The only time we need to tape it down is if he swims all day. I would estimate 1 in 10 pods. A non issue for us especially since we don't need to deal with tubing. I can't wait for the new smaller Pod. We expect it to launch March/April.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You'll find that most people feel that whatever they are pumping with is the best one on the market :p Best to do a little reading up and get your hands on as many as possible and just follow your gut.:cwds:

7. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Watching YouTube videos really helped. You could see it live as to how to change the pumps out and what needed to be done. Helped us tremendously with our choice.
    The other option as mentioned, is to contact each company and have them come out. They'll come at whatever time is convenient for you and you can actually touch, hold, and play with the pump. They can even do an insertion on your kiddo and see how it feels.

You really can't go wrong with which one you choose, but each has their pluses and minuses.

For us, we swim a lot during the summer, so we automatically ruled out the Medtronic. We were deciding between the Ping and the OmniPod, and ultimately loved the tubeless aspect.
    We do have to tape our pods down, which is really not a big deal at all, when we're not dealing with tubing and the actual PDM needing to be attached. I feel we have more room to move it around too so we're not dealing with which way to feed the tubing through clothes, and will he yank it off as he's going potty.
    We can use his arms, hips, butt, thighs and really move it around a lot. Our son is 3 and started at about 32 lbs 7 months ago.

We LOVE the OmniPod, but it's not for everyone. I think the Animas Ping is the next great option and if we didn't have the choice of OmniPod we would have chosen the Ping.

8. Traci

Traci Approved members

Play with each of them. Hold them, touch them, feel them. Walk through a bolus, a bg check, a temp basal, etc. Imagine having to walk someone through the instructions over the phone for each of these items if your child is too young to do it themselves. Test out the insertions for each one on yourself. The pump I had chosen before I saw them all turned out to be my least favorite once I played with each of them! :). I wound up choosing the one that I had selected as last on our list.

We've been on a tubed pump and Omnipod. Loved our tubed pump, but love our Omnipod more. I never have to tape it down unless ds will be swimming (and we just wrap vet wrap around the pod, not tape). No curling edges, nothing extra underneath, pods just stay on for us...but every child's skin is different. My son is very thin and has had no issues whatsoever wearing his pods--except our endo advised against wearing on his stomach because he has no fat to insert into.

I would think most pumps have a bolus limit...both of the ones we've been on have that feature. They all do basically the same thing and have the same (or similar) safety features. You'll just have to figure out what "bells and whistles" you prefer. I'm sure you'll love which ever pump you choose!

9. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Our daughter started pumping when she was 3. We went with animus for a few reasons, it was waterproof (she did not swim with it but we lived by the beach so...), the remote, and the screen was easier at night to read.

We just switched to Medtronic in December after doing a trial on the new 530g. I will say we REALLY miss the remote, but having the low glucose suspend was more important to us

10. Tomdiorio

Tomdiorio Approved members

I can only speak about the ping. We chose the ping because you can bolus with the meter, so you don't have to take the pump out every time you need to bolus.
    But the main reason we chose the ping was because it has the smallest increments for basals of the three. You can increase or decrease the basal by 0.025. At that time Medtronic was only 0.05, however it now has a 0.025 increment as well. It doesn't sound like a lot, but for a ten month old it is. He is now three and we still love it.

Plus, the customer service is excellent. They even offer "loaner" pumps absolutely free for when you go on vacation. Just a piece of mind in case it were to break.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  11. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Medtronic is 0.025 now. too. :)

12. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Medtronic is also .025 for bolous insulin now too vs .05 for animus. One I the reasons we switched, however after the past few days using the animus my wife does not want to go back!

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

When it comes down to bottom line, all insulin pumps do the same job. They deliver insulin. But, then you can add on a whole bunch of bells and whistles. Overall, each company offers a very good product. As a PP said, everyone will say the pump they use is the best. You need to do some research and find out what fit is best for you. Ask your endo if they have samples on hand to feel and fiddle with to get an overall idea.

Here's a good chart comparing the various pumps:
    http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes-technology/insulin-pumps/current-pumps/pump-comparison

We use the Animas Ping. We've always been happy with the Animas product. Currently the reason we've stuck with it is because of the remote. You can give insulin via the remote. But, the pump also has downsides, more annoying than anything else.

14. Tomdiorio

Tomdiorio Approved members

Wow, that's great that Medtronic now has 0.025 basal and bolus.

Nice chart Beach Bum

15. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Approved members

We just went through the same thing - trying to decide which pump for our very active and physical 4.5yo. Our endo recommended the Animas Ping for the simple reason that he was so active,we wouldn't need to get him to stop each time we need to bolus.
    We did look at the others but to be honest it is so difficult to decide in the abstract. So we plumped for the animas ping, and we are happy. At first I have to say we were disappointed that the technology seemed so dated. This is in a time where we are all using touch screen technologies, and where our phones almost seem to know what we want them to do before we ask them to do it!! However I realized that these products were probably developed about 7/8 years ago, and because it takes so long for things to get approval, by the release date they are almost outdated. Anyway, rant over.
    Over the next week or so I really began to like the pump and especially the meter remote. In fact, I love the remote. It is such a great idea, especially for kids, for whom having to stop their play and get a shot was such a pain.
    I also send the remote into school for the nurse to use, and again she likes it as she can stand almost outside the classroom and bolus him, without really disrupting class much.
    Its also great at night, being able to correct without having to twist him around to find the pump etc.
    We did not like the remote as a BG meter, so we have continued using the onetouch verio, (which we love) and then we just feed in the BG to the remote. A bit extra button pushing, but worth it.
    As a previous poster says, everyone will recommend their pump, as its what they use, and they are comfortable with it. Every pump has some downsides I'm sure. Its just about finding the one feature that you think is very important to you, that the other pumps don't offer.
    Good luck!

16. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I chose minimed for my son (age 8) because of the integrated CGM option, but I think I would go with ping for a younger one because of the remote bolus option. I wouldn't want to have to chase down a 3 year old to grab his pump every time he decided to eat something. And if your 3 year old is like my 3 year old, that's like a hundred times a day, and he's always on the move. Having the meter/remote isn't a huge deal for us because DS is old enough to do his own bolusing, etc. But it would be if I were the one having to give boluses.

That's my two cents. Ask your endo and/or CDE for advice. They can help you understand the more technical issues (for example, my endo likes the data he gets from minimed a lot better than ping). Try to get your hands on each one, and I think that will take a lot of the "mystery" out of it and be the best way for you to decide.

Good luck! Pumping is GREAT!

(I had to chuckle...the way you wrote it makes it sound like your 3 year old is in charge of choosing the pump. lol)

17. Laura Ben

Laura Ben Approved members

Omnipod basal

Hello, I am looking at pumps too for my 4 year old. Does anyone using the pod for little ones know if Omnipod has the ability to deliver small enough basal for someone who is currently on 1.25-2 units of Lantus per day?

18. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Hi there,

The pod's lowest basal rate is .05 units/hr for a total of 1.2 units a day of basal. So that would be less then your son's amount of lantus used per day. I imagine the NPH you are using also adds something to his basal so perhaps the total amount he uses is even higher. Also, you can do a 0.0 basal rate if needed perhaps every other hour. I use the omnipod part time and I occasionally only need 3-4 units of basal and I don't have a problem.

Hope that helps! I imagine someone with a little one on the pod will chime in soon.

19. JQ33

JQ33 Approved members

My son was four when he started the Omnipod, and had not been taking any Lantus or Levemir for weeks due to a fairly strong honeymoon period. Our CDE was a little concerned having the .05 minimum running all day on someone who was only using mealtime insulin, but it ended up not being an issue at all. Taking a half unit of Lantus was causing us lows all day and night, but the .05 unit per hour basal of Humalog or Novolog worked just fine for him.

20. Pooh's Mom

Pooh's Mom Approved members

medtronic

We decide to go with the medtronic. We chose it because it check bg every 5 minutes 24 hrs a day. we also chose it because of the computer connection and size. i had considered the ping but she is not big into water due to tubes in her ears. just doesn't like water but we can just take it off need be.