- advertisement -

Deciding on a pump for 20mo.old daughter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaTuTu, May 10, 2011.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, maybe because of your insurance situation, but many, many insurance companies cover CGM for young children, no problem. We were approved immediately. I certainly wouldn't discourage someone from trying just because their insurance *might* deny them.

2. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

Of course

I never intended to discourage the OP just let her know that she be in for a fight. As parents of cwd all of us have to fight for everything the need and as a newly diagnosed I know I had no idea how hard it would be and how much opposition I would face.

Choosing a pump based on the cgm MIGHT not be a great critera considering weather or not you can get coverage for a cgm or even that model is uncertain.

The OP asked about accuracy in kids. Abby's works great. Often within a few points of a fingerstick. And has cut our need for fingersticks in half. I am able to respond much more quickly and safely to increased basal needs when she is going through a growth spurt. I also love that it catches lows at preschool before they become a problem.

3. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

Accuracy

I never intended to discourage the OP just let her know that she may be in for a fight. As parents of cwd all of us have to fight for everything they need and as a newly diagnosed parent I know I had no idea how hard it would be and how much opposition I would face.

Choosing a pump based on the cgm MIGHT not be a great critera considering coverage for a cgm or even being able to choose the model is uncertain.

The OP asked about accuracy in kids. Abby's works great. Often within a few points of a fingerstick. And has cut our need for fingersticks in half. I am able to respond much more quickly and safely to increased basal needs when she is going through a growth spurt. I also love that it catches lows at preschool before they become a problem.

4. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

We've had Isaac using the MM Revel now for quite a while and really like it with all the features it has and the quick responding customer service. As for the sensors accuracy we follow the advice that was given on here by Darryl and have amazing accuracy. Of course when he's dropping quickly or rising quickly it's a little less accurate, but for the most part I am amazed at how it's usually only off by about 5 pts.
    Hope that helps a bit :p

5. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

oh and we had approval to start pumping 6 wks after dx and using the CGM shortly after that. We had no trouble with insurance coverage for either :) Then it, our insurance, changed and now we're happy that we stock piled sensors as they're pricey to pay for out of pocket...but our insurance rep we talk to has hope that we'll receive approval since we have a large amount of data (and an awesome A1C) showing that the CGM helps us tremendously in Isaac's diabetes routine. :D

6. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Reading and re-reading Im so confused. I saw both MM and Ping and I like the Ping display, it seems easy to read and use (almost like its already familiar to me) and a bit lighter in weight. I also like the idea of the remote for a busy toddler. If the Dex is covered then the Ping will be the pump we go with. I believe the needle on the Dex CGM is quite a bit smaller than the CGM for the MM. Do any of you know if that is truly the case? Tho I really like the CGM idea especially the all integrated with MM Im attracted to the Ping...Isabellas Endo says he thinks she would do great with MM so maybe I should listen to his advise.

The Rep from MM just called Im going to meet with him tomorrow and he is going to loan a pump to play with maybe I will that will be the deciding factor. Who knows I look just look forward to making a choice and getting started!

7. hawkeyegirl

The Dex needle is the same length, but thinner.

8. hawkeyegirl

Sorry for the double post, but wanted to add that the MM is slightly smaller dimension-wise and weighs slightly less than the Ping. But the difference is negligable.

Revel: 2 x 3 x 0.8
    Ping: 2 x 3.5 x 0.86

Revel: 3.5 oz
    Ping: 3.9 oz

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

One thing about the ping vs. MM that not many people realize, and most people that have only used one wouldn't notice is that with MM when you put in all the information it gives you the total dose and the screen, flashing, so you can change it.. you press act and it goes.. with Animas there is more button pushing it gives you the estimate, the next screen it starts at 0 and you have to dial in what the previous screen told you so its more button pushing.. if you've only use Animas you aren't going to notice the difference, those that have gone from MM to Animas definitely notice the difference.. I would not like to have to deal with that for fear of dialing in the dose wrong, with MM its right there, you can change it if need be, but the estimated dose is right on the screen.

10. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

So right on! We've pumped exclusively with Animas for 5+ years now. We really didin't have a choice since he was put on it right at dx at 12 mos old and they were the only pump to have the lowest rates at the time. I really like Animas. I have no complaints personally with their customer service, either. We upgraded early (before warranty was up) to the Ping and LOVE the remote feature. Especially with little ones!!

Back to K's point above...not knowing any other way, having to "arrow up" to enter in the suggested bolus amount wasn't an issue. However, now that DS is bolusing himself, I wish we didn't have to do that (too much room for error). Enough so much that I would consider switching in the future to MM. I'm hoping that since he also, like us, knows only entering in the bolus amount, it won't be a big deal.

So, would I give up the remote to have the bolus be automatic? Nah, not now and not within the past 5 years. Maybe in the future.

We choose not to CGM, so I can't speak on that...

11. MamaTuTu

I didnt realize that MM gave the exact bolus and all you have to do is "act" and that with the ping you do it yourself. Hummm... Its great hearing all of the different views it gives me much more to think about. The needle size for the CGM is just a bit different I guess then also great to know!

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I want to make it clear that Animas does the calculating for you.. so you still have that estimated dose, you just have to dial it in (using the up arrow) on the next screen.

13. sage68

sage68 Approved members

Both my girls are on the Ping and we love it. We chose the ping because of the remote mostly. At the time, only Elly was D and she was 3, but about 2 months after she started pumping, Anne was dx, and she was 11months. We were required to be MDI for a year with Elly before pumping, and we really didn't know any different or i probably would have pushed to pump sooner but with Anne, they let us go to pumping right away, so she started 2 weeks before turning 1. The ping has been wonderful, and I just love the remote. I can dose the girls if needed at night and i don't have to fish out their pumps to do it.

With regards to the CGM, we have done Dex and MM. We ran into adhesive allergies with Dex with both girls and haven't had that issue with MM. We started the CGM when anne was 17 months old so i don't think age is a factor with the CGM.

14. MamaTuTu

Hi everyone again :) I decided!!! I am going to go with the Ping! The meter-remote is something that I believe will be very handy! I appreciate all of your advise over the past couple of days, I think both pumps are great but for us I think Ping will fit a bit better at Isabellas age. I look forward to CGMs in the future (and hope that they truly integrate in 2012 with Dex) Now that I have made my decision I feel calm, this decision has brought me to tears and then laughing at myself. This past week has been hard but I am feeling better this morning now that a decision has been made. Im off to order Isabella a pump pouch. Have you all seen toosweetboutique? Also do any of you know of a place that makes pouches similar to a backpack?

15. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Congratulations on making your decision. I know that medtronic has a child harness/backpack on their store website--you don't need to have the medtronic pump to order--and maybe animas does too.

www.medtronicdiabetes.com/store/products/2-pa-para its called child's pump harness. You can find under pump cases and other accessories.

16. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members