- advertisement -

Deciding on a pump for 20mo.old daughter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaTuTu, May 10, 2011.

1. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

HI everyone! Hope you all are doing great this morning and that some of you may be able to help me with a few questions I have. My daughter is 20 mo.old (Isabella) and we are in the first steps of starting her on a pump. I will be ordering the pump next Wed andI'm between the Animas ping or menimed revel. I am leaning towards the ping I like the size weigh remote and peace of mind that comes with the water proof replacement that is bound to occure at some point in the next 4 years. However I LOVE the CGM that the revel offers the peace of mind that I can be alerted that a low or hi is on the way would help me sleep at night. I do worry about water damage tho Im not sure if menimed would replace for free if something like water damage happens. Also I have read mixed reviews on the CGM from menimed and dont want my daughter to have to endure and extra prick if the sensor isn't too accurate. I know the ping is waiting for approval from the FDA to integrate a CGM to work worth the ping but I dont know WHEN... I want to keep Isabella in as tight control as possible so I was thinking about the Dex7 but again the cost of equipment and sensors not knowing if ins will cover it would make it unaffordable for our family. GEZZ when picturing decisions that I would make for my children I never pictured choosing a new pancreas ;) All in all IM SO EXCITED to start Isabella on a pump and I guess no matter what I decided it will be better than shots thanks in advance for your help!

2. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

Hi -

We just started pumping a week ago, so please take my advice with a grain of salt ;) but we settled on the Ping. Hank is 22 months old, and very active, and I wanted to able to keep the pump somewhere out of reach, like on his back, and I also didn't want to have wrestle him to get to the pump every time I needed to do something. For us, the remote was the primary decision factor.

I would love to get him on a CGM, and we likely will in the fall, but I do worry about lack of real estate for two different site placements.

Good luck!!! I was so excited to start pumping, and the last several days have been mostly positive, and I do believe we made the right decision to switch to pumping, but the adjustment period is more intense than I had tricked myself into thinking.

3. MamaTuTu

Thanks Kim! Im prepared to be stressed with pumping in the beginning I will have nothing to do except feed my family and deal with the pump because I have herd that it is so much work in the beginning. Do you know when the CGM is supposed to released for the ping? Also since starting the pump have you been able to help your son to have better control with BG?

4. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

I'm not sure about the release date for the integrated cgm with the Ping...others might...

As far as getting better control...we are definitely seeing steps in the right direction, but not as quickly as I hoped. There definitely is an adjustment period where you will be tweaking doses, as it seems like things don't translate from MDI to pumping 1:1. I think my biggest lesson learned in the last week is that this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint, and that patience and diligence in checking and tweaking are going to get us the results that we want.

5. MamaTuTu

Yes, your are 100% correct! Thanks for your advise and best of luck to you and your son!!!

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Though Molly's an 18 yo, we give a thumbs up for the ping. With our start, we had more issues with getting the infusion set in correctly than the actual pump settings. Who ever you go with, please know that you can call them and get some extra tips on the most successful way to insert those sets. One suggestion I have is to change out a set before lunch (or even breakfast) so that you can see if it is working 2 hours later. We found that if we switched it out later in the day or evening, we sould sometimes wind up staying up pretty late trying to figure out if the set is working and that's no fun! ;) For us, after around 6 weeks, we were smooth sailing! Best of luck!

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I just wanted to add two things. First, the Revel has smaller bolus capabilities than the Ping. For a little one, that might matter. Second, The Revel is just as waterproof as the Ping, and MM definitely will replace for any water-related issues.

I suspect the integrated CGM Animas pump will be here in 18 months to 2 years. It will not have a remote.

We have used the MM CGM for 3 years now and get great accuracy.

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Do you have any idea why they would get rid of the remote? That seems crazy!

9. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

My daughter will be 3 next month and she has the MM Revel. I love the pump, I think it is very user friendly. I picked the Revel over the Ping for a variety of reasons, mainly the small bolus/basal option, option to add CGM, and some other small dynamics. I do, however, think that a remote would be a nice feature. But I think we do just fine without one.

Regardless of the brand of pump, I can 100% say that I prefer the pump over MDI, especially dealing with a little one!

Good luck with whichever pump you choose!!

10. hawkeyegirl

Well, they've mentioned some nonsense about the frequency of the remote interfering with the CGM, but I think it's just that - nonsense. The MM has a linked meter with integrated CGM, and I don't think the remote would be much different than that.

I think they just wanted to get the integrated pump on the market as quickly as possible and didn't take the time to figure out how to include the remote. I think it's a bad decision on their part, but considering how long it has taken them just to integrate, people might be waiting forever if they decided to included the remote too.

11. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

I have a three year old

She uses the ping and I absolutely can not imagine doing without the remote. She would never tolerate being told to hold still while i use her pump 12 or more times a day.

I was able to get Abby a minimed cgm and it is really a pain having two to carry. However, minimed is not going to support starting a toddler on cgm. We had to enroll in a study to get one and I have had to call customer service several times for help.

The last time they had a minimed employee and user who lives in my city call me and ask me "not as an employee, but a user" if he could help me personally and to please stop calling customer service for help. Because they are not approved for toddlers apparently minimed can get in trouble for helping me use the equipment on my toddler.

We love the CGM but I can not pay out off pocket for it and if the study ends or we no longer qualify I will not be able to continue. Also the needle is very large and painful, hard to insert, and requires a lot of tape that leaves rashes on my daughter. If we could find a dexcom study I would try to get her in.

When we were shopping around a salesman for minimed tried to sell us on their pump because of the cgm, too.

12. hawkeyegirl

What?! My son started on the MM CGM at age 4, and the MM trainer came out to our house to get us started. We've called customer service on numerous occasions and always been helped. If you have a prescription, MM can't get "in trouble" for helping you use their equipment on your child.

There are many, many, many other posters on this board who have a young child using the MM CGM with full Medtronic support.

ETA: Just read some of your old posts. The reason Medtronic isn't providing product support to you is because the transmitter you're using isn't yours, since you got it from being in a study. I'm sure customer support is probably only able to talk to the "owner" of the transmitter. It's just flat-out incorrect that Medtronic won't support starting a toddler on CGM. Your circumstance is highly unusual, and it frankly shows how good Medtronic customer support is, as they had an employee who was willing to spend his personal time helping you, since the company "officially" couldn't.

It has nothing to do with their sensor not being approved for toddlers, and everything to do with the fact that you don't own the equipment.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I didn't have time to read all the responses, so I hope this isnt' too much of a repeat. :)

We just started pumping YESTERDAY! so this is fresh in my mind. :) We went with the MM pump, since I thought the future CGM possibility was better than having a remote for a 9 year old. My doctor said he liked the MM better than ping. He said, 'It's just the best pump out there" and said the data he gets from the MM is far better than the ping.

However, my DH's cousin just started her 18 month old on the pump also, and she went with the Ping. It's the remote...not having to interrupt the play of a 2 year old every time he needed a bolus was worth it to her, even though she liked the MM pump a little better than the ping. I think, not having seen the ping myself, that I might make the same choice she did, with such a young child. They just don't sit still for more than a second or two...plus with a remote you can put the entire opreration under their clothes so the tubing doesn't get snagged on anything.

Some insurance companies will cover the CGM. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask before you make your final decision.

When I was asking the "which pump should I choose" question, most people said that the two pumps are nearly the same, except the CGM or remote features. So if you base your decision on only that one criterium, you'll most likely be happy with what you do.

Good luck!!! I hope your pump start goes well. I'm so excited for you!

14. 22jules

22jules Approved members

My suggestion--hold them! I absolutely thought we were going to go with the animas (didn't have the ping at that time) but once I saw both, held both, and pushed buttons on both, for us the decision was clearly to go with the minimed. We love our pump!

15. hawkeyegirl

This is very good advice. The menus and navigation have a very different feel. Play with them, practice giving boluses and changing basals (probably the two most-used functions) and see which you like better. It's really just a personal preference.

16. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

We use the Animas ping and love it!. My son just won't sit still long enough to pull his pump out multiple times a day, so the meter remote is key for us! I think the advise of playing with each pump to see which you like better is great advise. Also, all pumps do the same basic thing, deliver insulin! Each pump has different perks, depending on what is important to you can change the pump that works best for you. Good luck

17. MamaTuTu

Thank you all for all the input and advise! Im still going back and forth and saying "I'm definitely going with ..." Im driving my Husband NUTS. My DD Endo also suggested the MM so maybe Ill just do it :confused: I think no matter what Ill have to learn and love my choice for many years to come. Thank you all again! I will let yall know what I decided next Wednesday :)

18. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Why not do a free trial with both and see which one really fits? They are both great pumps, but they do have minor differences that you may love or hate. It's a 4 year decision - I'd try before I buy.

19. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

I'd like the OP to have all the information

A minimed salesman tried very hard to impress upon me when I was shopping for a pump that I would love the CGM. I do. However, it is not possible at this time for my daughter to get any kind of insurance coverage for a cgm because of her age, where we live, and insulin dependent diabetes can not be insure unless its unerd a group plan, we are self-employed so Abby gets Children's Medicaid. There are 10 other families in central indiana also enrolled in this study because we can not get insurance coverage here for cgm.

When I called several times because I had a broken charger that was destroying transmitters. (we did not know what the problem was at the time) I was told it must because she is too young to wear a cgm. They told me I could not insert her site anywhere but her stomach because it was not approved for backsides. (her nurse says she is too thin to put it anywhere else) When I asked then were they suggest I put it on a 30 lb kid I was told that is why cgms are not recommended for toddlers. So I asked why they tried to sell me on one a year ago and was told it was a mistake and the salesman must not have known Abby was 2. (I knpw for a fact that he did, but whatever) Then an hour later I recieved the call asking not call again.

I love the cgm and it is totally worth putting up with the nonsense but getting a cgm for toddler can be very tricky.

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee's been using the cgms from the age of 4.. they've been extremely helpful.. If I didn't have to fight my insurance company then she would have started it earlier. Dexcom isn't approved for under 18 years of age, they can't even talk to you until they get prescription from your dr.. And there are tons of people who have reactions to the tape on dexcom.. its one of the things I like about MM, we can use the tape we want and works well for our daughter. As for the needle, yes, its huge and scary, but if you use EMLA and numb the area they don't even notice.

To the OP, when picking a pump don't go for what MAY come out in the next year (because most likely it'll take way more than the next year for something to come out, it always does) look at what is available NOW, what will benefit your child now. We use the intergrated cmgs with the MM revel (we've been pumping for 5 years) and love it.. can't image her having to carry another device of which is no where NEAR waterproof, that dexcom casing has water damage happen very easily, I have no idea what their replacement policy is on that).

MM Revel has the smallest bolus capabilities, .025.. that little .025 DOES make a difference. The alarms for the cgms are great, fall rate, rise rate, low predicted, high predicted etc and are all completely customizable.

MM WILL replace your pump if it has water damage.. UNLESS its been done on purpose.. you smash it and put it in water, well, then they may not replace it.. BUT The casing IS waterproof until a hairline fracture happens, which are hard to see, then its no longer water proof.. same goes for Animas pumps.. Just this past week someone on this board had their pump replaced (within 3 hours at that!) from MM because their son went into the pool and forgot his pump was on (excitement, it happens ;)).. MM is extremely good about replacing pumps.. we just had one replaced with a scratch to the screen that was so deep I thought it could be a crack.. they didn't want to take the chance so they replaced it (and let her switch the color of her pump)..

MM also has a remote (its NOT fancy, and does the basics, very basics) plus they have a wireless meter.. we don't use it as I don't like it,but there are people who do use it and have no issues using it.

If you haven't already get ahold of the pumps and play with them, get a feel for them.. they all do the same thing, deliver insulin, each have their own 'perks' so you need to decide which 'perk' suits your family better. There is no wrong choice.. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they hated their pump and wish they hadn't choosen it. ;)