- advertisement -

Debate about dosing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mrtweedy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. mrtweedy

mrtweedy Approved members

My grandson is 5 years old and was dx 3 years ago. Recently his parents have separated and he is living at our house for half the week. My question is this morning he had a low of 65 at about 10:30am he has just started kindergarten so his schedule has changed. I gave him a fruit bar at 8 carbs for free and 15 minutes later as he began lunch his mother tested him and he was 60, she did not dose him anything for lunch until she got a 105 reading which was about 30 minutes later. By then he had consumed around 30 carbs which in my opinion led to his 325 reading at school 2 hours later.Finally my question I would have dosed partially for lunch right away is this right or wrong? She says the drs say never dose until you get a higher reading but in my mind this is causing huge spikes later. HELP

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't think there's any flat out right or wrong with a 5 year old who has just started school and was headed there right after lunch. That said, I would have probably given juice or tabs for he low, and just covered lunch right after he had eaten and once I knew how many carbs he had had.

3. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I choose to follow the doctor's orders. Some lows take several treatments to come into range and that is why the doctors have this rule. We have had enough of these experiences to respect the rule.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I would have treated the low with fast carbs (glucose, juice, etc) and waited for a BG above 70 before dosing for the meal.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If I had time, I would treat the low, wait until it came up, then dose for lunch and eat lunch.
    If I didn't have the time, I would do what she did.

My reasoning is that I have had a number of lows where I did inject for the meal, and then had severe lows (20s and 30s) during or right after the meal, and it was extremely difficult to treat them- for me, treating a low right after a meal is harder because my digestion of the juice or sugar is slowed by the meal I've just eaten, plus I'm full.

A blood sugar of 325 is bad. A blood sugar of 25 is worse.

6. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

I think you need to look at one more issue: When your grandson was at 65, was there any active insulin? If breakfast insulin was all gone, and you are pretty sure that an 8 carb fruit bar would bring him up nicely, then I would have done what you proposed - dose for lunch when he ate lunch. Probably would have had a extra check about an hour later.

I don't want to cause any family problems, but there is nothing wrong with your logic.