- advertisement -

Dear Abby and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by bgallini, Feb 22, 2010.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, I think she handled this very well! Nice that someone on the outside gets it (or at least someone on her research team does).

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Nice - but watch out the comments from idiots disagreeing. If one person has registered account, be sure put CCC in their place!

Also, be sure to drop Abby a line for getting it right. We need to praise them when they do it right!

4. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

I saw this article too. I thought she did pretty well with her response. I wish other journalists/media would do as well.

5. etringali

etringali Approved members

What's with the dingbat saying " It's wrong to adjust your insulin so you can have a sugary treat"

Um, Hello! isn't that what we do all day. adjust, adjust, adjust! Just cos her friends get faint. Can happen to any diabetic and anytime.

hrumph.

6. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

And isn't that what a healthy pancreas does? Produce more insulin when you eat more carbs?

But I do worry about that poster's friends who were fainting! Really?

7. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Her friends were probably type 2's, have never done any sort of PP testing or carb counting, decided they wanted to eat some cake. Rather than learning how to properly bolus for meals and set up a regimen that allows it, they probably did something stupid like randomly add 30 units of NPH. Then when things go wrong, they don't blame themselves, they think it's "impossible" where a few seconds of research would destroy that myth.

From there, she generalizes that nobody in the world can adjust their own doses, unaware of how T1's must do it.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I will be writing Abby and giving her kudos and thanks for doing research into type 1 before penning her answer. I hope the parents investigate further

9. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I have to admit that my heart sunk when as I was reading the question because I was already dreading the way it might be answered. Great job to Dear Abby! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I was so very pleasantly surprised.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm so glad there are more comments from people who get it and know t1 than idiots who are going by hearsay and what they 'think' T1s should be doing.. The one that says T1s shouldn't be having treats once in a while (justmy2cents) really irritates me.

11. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

12. bisous

bisous Approved members

Wow! I like that response a lot. :) And LOTS of people read Dear Abby!!