- advertisement -

dead birds

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by joan, Jan 5, 2011.

1. joan

joan Approved members

What do you all think about these dead birds falling from the sky? There has also been the same thing with fish. I am a little bit scard by this.

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

what dead birds? I havn't seen any. course its so cold i don't spend much time outside.

3. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Yeah.. a little bit freaky.

4. joan

joan Approved members

I don't know how to link a website to this but if you google dead birds you will see.

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

6. joan

joan Approved members

Thanks Ellen, I didn't even hear about Italy. Why isn't this a major news story? There have always been fireworks and never dead birds like this. It really is horrible.

7. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

It is a major news story, it's in every news site and it have been for days.

8. joan

joan Approved members

I don't think I have seen anything, definitely not front page in the NYTs. I haven't seen anything on our TV news but I could have missed it. On line is how I read about it.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I was just discussing this with my sister this morning and she wonders why Homeland security is not looking into this. When it was one flock in Arkansas I assumed that someone had put out poison bait. But since it is more then that now I think that it could be something thats being put in the air to gas them to death or put in the water to kill them. I hope they are being tested to see what exactly is killing them and if its anything that looks like chemical warfare agents

10. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

11. joan

joan Approved members

my husband thinks I am going nuts with all the theories I have. i am going to pack an emergency d bag just in case.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  12. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Be careful about seeing more to this story than there is. Evidently, this sort of thing happens with regularity. What doesn't happen is the reporting of these incidents.

14. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I've seen several runs of bird kills in areas I've lived here and there over the decades. It is always spooky. But I agree, I suspect that this happens not infrequently but when it's in your back field it freaks you out, then you hear another story from the backyard of some guy across the country, it keeps snowballing because our methods of communication these days makes the world seem so small.

Having worked in a greenhouse and in some agriculture, I can tell you the use of pesticides is not near so locked down as we'd like to think. As an example, if we mixed a little too much pesticide at the greenhouse we'd pour the extra onto the bare ground inside the house. We always tried to get as close as possible, but you're going to always have either a little too much or too little, and you can't have too little or you get a few plants with aphids still on them and then you have to respray the whole house in a week.

Why did we pour it on the ground? EPA wanted us to. Sounds creepy, but if you think about it, it makes sense. How do you dispose of extra pesticide? You don't want to flush it into the water system. You don't want to put it in a landfill. It's already 'cleared" to spray on the plants, and so much of it will drip onto the ground. You're just putting the "extra" where the residue was winding up, anyway.

I only repeat this to illustrate that agricultural use of pesticides can be kind of surprising. Now, add to that millions of lawn-loving homeowners who don't have the EPA looking over their shoulders -- I had a neighbor who would regularly use Roundup on his irrigation ditches to clear out weeds. Yeah, the irrigation ditches used to transport water to his neighbors' gardens. But, hey, they sell it at Walmart so it must be safe.

My suspicion is that these birds got into a contaminated bunch of grain or an oversprayed field or a contaminated pool and died in mass. Each flock reported getting poisoned from a different source.

So, I don't think it's the end of the world via one big global plague/catastrophe/attack. But I don't think the idea that flocks are regularly and consistently poisoned from different sources throughout the world on an ongoing basis is comforting, either!

Of course, this or any of the other spooky things out there could indicate something off. I personally have had my bags packed for a couple years now, but I don't necessarily see the bird kills as a greater indication than all the other odd stuff going on in the world and in my community and family.