- advertisement -

DD tried the demo Omnipod...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danismom79, Jan 26, 2009.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Is that similar to Skin Tac then? I've seen all these words in various posts but never paid much attention since we weren't even thinking about pumping.

And is it ok to insert the cannula through these wipe-on barrier films?

2. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Bard is different then Skin Tac. Skin Tac is an adhesive. Our OmniPod came with IV Prep that I believe is similar to Bard, but we couldn't use it. It wouldn't allow the pod to stick to her skin properly. But everyone is different.

I don't remember what we did when we used the IV Prep, but with the Skin Tac we do leave a little circle for the canula.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Darryl - can you use the Bard wipes under the CGMS sensor?

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We have not needed to use it under the CGM, you could try it and see if it helps.

If you are using the Minimed CGM, where is the irritation happening? Is it under the adhesive, or
    under the transmitter? We found that the area under the transmitter got red after 7 days, and solved
    that problem by taping a small piece of Tegaderm under the area where the transmitter goes (we also
    tape down the clear part with a separate piece of Tegaderm). Actually, we use one piece of Tegaderm
    1624W and cut it in half to make these two pieces. Then use another half-piece to tape the edge of
    the transmitter once it's plugged in. So there is Tegaderm both undereath, and over the edge of the
    transmitter.

Especially if you use Bard under a CGM sensor, I would tape the sensor down with Tegaderm to prevent
    it from coming loose.

Bard is not an adhesive, it is a barrier that protects the skin. It does make the pod stick a little less,
    which in our case is good, but for some people the pod actually requires additional adhesive. I recommend
    Bard if you are having trouble with rashes, itching, or difficult removal of the pod. For us, it solved all of
    those problems.

5. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I wonder if you can use a Bard wipe let it dry then skin tac then pod. Will the skin tac stick to the bard? Sounds like a great product Daryl.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I can't tell what is causing the irritation. I need to give it a closer look next time I remove the sensor. We put a piece of Opsite under the Transmitter itself, and that has helped. Maybe it's the tape under the purple part of the sensor that is causing issues? Or maybe it's the remover product we use. I don't know. I might swipe a Bard wipe over it all and see if it helps. You're sure it won't affect the sensor reading like IV Prep or the like does?

7. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Hm, I never tried this - does skipping it cause problems? Maybe this is causing our highs after site changes...?

8. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Scott, not sure what your question is. Skipping the IV prep?

But we too get slight highs after site changes. So what ever the question was - probably not. LOL

9. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I meant not putting the skin-prep where the cannula goes - we just put it all over his arm.

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I can't say for sure that Bard would not affect the sensor readings, because we've never tried it. But as you will see the film is microsopically thin. I can't imagine why it would affect the sensor at all. Mostly I would be concerned with reduced adhesion of the sensor, so just be sure to tape it with Tegaderm or something similar.

I don't think that skin-tac on top of Bard would make sense. You'd just be gluing the pod or sensor to the Bard, and it is the Bard that actually separates when the site is removed.

You have try anything to know how it works, you have little to lose by trying. From what you are experiencing (itching, redness, etc.) I think that the Bard may be a good solution unless there is a problem with adhesion or allergy.

11. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

I really don't know about IV Prep as it's been such a long time since we used it. But we were told to leave a hole in the Skin Tac so it doesn't clog the canula. Don't know if it really would, but never have chanced it.

12. jet59or

jet59or Approved members

CGM with Omnipod?

Thanks for all the tips on the omnipod - both for comfort and technical. My recently diagnosed son (17 yrs.) has been resisting any pump at all, but is now very interested in the pod since there would be nothing "tethered" to him. Since I don't check his bg much unless we agree for a night check, I'm very interested in a CGM - terrified that he won't wake up when low, or not pay attention (too busy being a teenager). Is it really much more to have that sensor on you? It is wireless right? Which one(s) do you recommend? Any idea if the Omnipod company is thinking of integrating one? I haven't heard back from our rep yet. His sample should be here any day. Thanks for any insights.

Note: Funny, I just got an email back from the rep. so I can answer most of my own questions. The size of the pod probably won't be smaller, but the PDM should be. Can't say for sure as it's all in for FDA approval. Late spring debut most likely. Also, they are working with Navigator for their CGM - no launch date but they are working together.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009