- advertisement -

Days away from Pinging!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tiger7lady, Apr 20, 2011.

1. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

We have our Pre-pump class on Friday morning and will start with insulin at our Pump class on Monday morning. I'm swear I'm counting down the hours until we have no more Lantus.

Last night the Animas rep came out to the house to go over everything. I was so proud of Vincent because he actually paid attention and picked up on the button pushing very quickly. She gave him the option of having me insert a set or having Vincent do it himself and he chose that I do it. I was so nervous because when we had a pump trial 2 months ago and wore a fake pump for 3 days the insertion was horrible. The Animas rep at the trial did the insertion and Vincent said it hurt a LOT. Plus there was some blood in the cannula. I asked at the time if that was right and she insisted it was fine. So last night I held my breath and followed the reps directions and it worked perfectly! Vincent said it didn't hurt at all. He was thrilled with that. The only thing he complained about is he said it was itchy after a few minutes. He didn't break out into a rash or anything so it's probably something he just needs to get used to. So since we have to do a saline start for the clinic on Fri, Sat, and Sun I gave him the option this morning of either leaving it on until then or taking it off now. He wanted to leave it in the rest of the week because "I'm just starting to get used to it." I'm so happy for him. We practiced bolusing him at dinner last night and breakfast this morning. Since we had pizza for dinner last night I split dosed him so I did the same thing with the pump last night as well. The second dose he was in the bathroom down the hall with the door closed when I dosed him the second dose. I was mainly just testing to see how good of a range the remote has and I was shocked it actually worked! He came out of the bathroom and was like "My pump was vibrating! What is wrong with it?!"

Does anybody know when we will give him is last Lantus dose? If we start Monday morning on insulin would we stop the Lantus Saturday night so it's completely out of his system by the time Monday rolls around or will we still give him his Lantus Sunday night?

2. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

So so excited for you! :D We have been pumping for just over a week. It has been such a blessing for our family. The first full day of pumping my son came home and said mom I feel free. It just made my mommy heart melt. It's been a little bit of an adjustment mostly on my part as we are still trying to get his basal right. With that said for us the pump has been nothing short of life changing. I wish you a great "pinging" start and that your ds feels that same freedom.

I was also nervous about that last levemir dose. I gave it to him the night before like he would normally get and then brought it up when we arrived at our pump training the next morning. What they had us do was to turn the basal off until 8:00pm which was the time he would normally get his levemir dose. Then from that point on the pump did the rest.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. Cassidi's mom

Cassidi's mom Approved members

so exciting for both of you- can I ask you questions once we get started? So nervous. We just got ours in the mail Friday so should be having training set up soon. How soon did you get yours up and training completed once you got yours? Just wondering and ready to get started!