- advertisement -

Daycare/SAC program in the summer at public school

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by zell828, Mar 17, 2009.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Do you know if a public school has a daycare/SAC program in the summer and I send my children there, if that is considered federal funding so they have to following rules the public schools normally follow (for my child's rights) during the school year or is this totally different?

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Most likely that's not run by the school system but by the parks and rec and just "hosted" at the school. That's how all the ones I have seen are operated. They probably have some requirements re: 504 but its not the school, so it won't "transfer over". I know at our school, the kids that go to "aftercare" at the school have to have separate arrangements since its not through the school system

3. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Thanks. I know it's run through the "Community Education" and they have an actual office right in the public school. That might not mean anything, though, like you said. However, when I called to ask about summer SAC they did tell me they are more than willing to take my SD with D and work with me. I could meet with them ahead of time and go through everything. I work only a block away too so they were glad about that (so am I!). My children normally go to private school so we don't have a 504 or deal with the public schools usually.

4. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

If they accept money from the food program they are federally funded. If I was in the food program I would be considered federally funded. Also if they accept state pay they are federally funded. Most programs like the one you mention take state pay AND are in the food program. It is highly likely that they would have to follow the same rules as the school. I accept state pay kids there fore I am federally funded and must follow the same rules as the school.

5. zell828

zell828 Approved members

For the first month (June) the kids bring their own lunches, which is fine. But then July and August they serve lunch because we have migrant workers (mexicans) who come to our town to work at a local factory and they are then required to serve the kids hot lunches. So I assume that means they are getting some federal money through a food program.