- advertisement -

Day Care - esp. New York State

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bellows, Dec 23, 2013.

1. bellows

bellows Approved members

Hi, all. My apologies if this has been asked and answered, but I can't find it in the forums, although I promise I did run a search first before starting a new thread.

My type 1 toddler needs day care. So far, we've been lucky enough to have a provider in Massachusetts who happens to have had gestational diabetes, and is therefore comfortable with blood checks, and also, toddler's dad is work-at-home, and has been available to drop by and do her dosing.

However, we're moving to New York City full time and are running into trouble finding with potential day care providers in our new neighborhood. They all say that they can't deliver medications (and some say that they can't even do her blood checks) because it violates their licensing. I researched this a bit online, and I see that this is not an uncommon problem, but also that it may run afoul of federal anti-discrimination and disability rights laws, and that it has been litigated. I also see that this is handled differently in each State.

Can anyone share how they've gotten around this problem? Especially in New York State?

Also, does anyone have a contact or referral to a staff attorney at an advocates organization who can inform us of our rights in NYS, and possibly explain our rights to a day care provider?

Any help would be appreciated. Diabetes shouldn't prevent my daughter, or anyone else's, from receiving the same access to day care or preschool as every other child.

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Hi, Sorry you are having these issues :(

Advocates for Children of NY is an amazing organization and I am sure they can help you. They did an incredible job helping my family.

http://www.advocatesforchildren.org

I would also contact Naomie Berrie Center and ask to speak to a social worker. Even if you are not a patient there they should be able to provide some assistance or at least tell you what daycare facilities their patients have had success with.

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I have a feeling that this is an issue because most are private daycares and I don't believe they would have to do it if they didn't feel comfortable. I did everything I could to keep my daughter out of daycare because I was the one who didn't feel comfortable with someone else watching her.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Can you give me a rough idea of where you'll be living? Borough and neighborhood? I might have a few contacts. Also, are you looking at private day care or preschool, public or private?

5. bellows

bellows Approved members

Sarah Maddie's mom--

We're going to be in Upper Manhattan, and we're looking at private day care. I don't know of any public day care facilities, I guess that would be Head Start? I don't think we'd be income eligible for that. We aren't up to preschool yet, since she's 2. If you have any ideas of advocates who'd be willing to explain the NY-specific situation to us, and maybe talk to a day care provider on our behalf to explain what our rights are.

jf

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ok, let me think - I have a contact at the 92nd street Y. That's on the East side. As far as advocates go I think Meg's suggestion to contact some of the preeminent ped endo practices, like NB would be a good start. Do you know yet who you will see for endo care?

7. bellows

bellows Approved members

We will definitely be going to the Naomi Berrie Center, as you suggest, but since we are not seeing anyone there yet, they don't seem to be too helpful. I have reached out there and left messages.

It's kind of a catch-22: we are moving to the area largely because of the NB center, but at the same time, we don't have day care in place...because we are still in the process of moving, but I need day care in order to completely move! So we don't yet have the NY health care that would allow the NB center to help us out.

It may be that they'll get back to us, but I've left a message in their general voicemail and emailed them, and haven't heard yet. So I was hoping for some names of people who might be willing to explain our rights both to us, and to any day care providers as necessary.

8. bellows

bellows Approved members

Hey, so I did hear back from the Naomi Berrie center! Unfortunately, the doctor who got back to me only knew of two day cares that are kind of far from us, and they also provided us with a link to the NYS website that shows day care facilites that can dispense medication, and suggested that we call the ADA legal advocacy folks in order to have someone explain our rights, although they didn't have a contact there.

I'm a little wary of choosing a day care center solely because they're licensed to dispense medication--we want something that's best for our daughter's development, first and foremost. It seems that we should be able to find that, and then work with them under the law to make sure that her medical needs are met while she's in their care.

So maybe it's time to call the ADA..if anybody here has a contact, or some other anecdotes or data points about how others have handled this situation?

9. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

I am a registered daycare provider in NY State. I am authorized to administer medication and I do have a child with diabetes in my daycare. As a daycare provider, I do not have to be authorized to administer meds. I choose to be. It is additional training (at my expense,) additional inspections and a lot of additional paperwork. I also have to pay a heath care consultant to inspect my facility and forms. NY makes it very difficult for providers to be able to accept a child with diabetes, even when I have a child of my own with diabetes! In this instance, I don't think a parent of a child with diabetes has any rights to equal daycare, because daycare providers are not like a public school. I wish it were a different story. I believe our kids should have equal access to quality care (which is why I maintain my medication administration certification) but it just is not the case in NY. A provider is not allowed to tell you that your child can not attend because she has diabetes, but they can say that they can not administer medications. Here are a couple of resources that may be able to point you in the right direction... Child care providers by zip code... http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/childcare/looking.asp and the Child Care Council... this is the Rochester NY one, but I bet if you called, they could tell you who to contact in NYC. http://childcarecouncil.com/. I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck!