- advertisement -

Daughter's hair falling out

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mntgrl, Dec 26, 2014.

1. mntgrl

mntgrl Approved members

Our daughter 7r old daugher was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on Dec 1st. Yesterday we noticed that her hair was falling out. When I washed her hair this morning, handfuls of hair come out :( I looked online and is sounds like this can be a side effect because of the stress on the body. Has anyone experienced this? Is there anything we can do? How long can we expect it to last. I could tell she was distressed by it and so was I. Like she needs anything else to deal with :(

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I would ask her pediatrician or her endo about it. It could be stress induced, but it could also be another autoimmune disease called alopecia, which is basically the lack of body hair. A child with an autoimmune disease is sometimes likely to have another one (thus the higher incidence of celiac in type 1 diabetics).

3. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

Was she tested for hypothyroidism when she was diagnosed with Type 1? That could also cause hair loss and Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroiditis) frequently occurs along with Type 1.

DD was dx'd with hypothyroidism at age 7 and she loses a lot of hair when her thyroid meds need to be increased.

4. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

^^^ this. My first thought.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I had clumps of hair coming out all the time when I was iron deficient. Fixing that fixed the hair issue.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Thyroid was my first thought as well. My son's endo checks his levels annually, if they haven't done that recently I'd have them do a full panel to check.

7. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I experienced the same issue right before I was diagnosed (the hair loss was the reason why I sought out medical help in the first place -turns out I was in DKA). I think it took about 2-3 months for my hair loss to stop after diagnosis, and I'm still trying to get my hair back to a normal thickness over a year later.

8. mntgrl

mntgrl Approved members

We have her endo apt in 2 weeks. She was DKA at diagnosis in the hospital and I believe they ran a full blood panel in the hospital. Hopefully it was just the stress on her body and it will improve over the next few months. Thanks for all the input.

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter lost lots of hair right after diagnosis. It was kind of scary, but it stopped as soon as it started and she never went visibly bald. I would say it lasted about the same amount (maybe even less) time than the insatiable hunger that comes right after diagnosis. They told us to expect it, so I didn't even consider another autoimmune issue.

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We were told this is common with a diagnosis of T1D. Our daughter lost buckets full after she started the insulin. It was super upsetting for her, but within 6 months, she had regrown all her lost hair! She also had some water retention in her feet and legs for around a week that went away but freaked us out! The endo fellows who took the call (after hours) didn't know that was sometimes a side effect of starting insulin after running high for a while...they wanted us to go in and get checked for heart failure (for heavens sake!). Doing a google search reassured us! Haha! At the time, it felt like insult to injury so I know just how you are feeling!