- advertisement -

Daughter with 1 positive antibody-GAD (trialnet)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kunkfam, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

The people with trialnet just called and said that my oldest was positive for GAD. They are going to re draw on Thursday but I wanted to see if anyone has ever had this happen and the second draw come back negative??? My other 2 boys were still negative. This was our second year of the testing. They were all negative last year.

2. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

We had the same results and we are still waiting to hear more.

3. Brookiesworld

Brookiesworld Approved members

what is GAD?

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase is something that coats the islets cells, as I understand it, an an antibody to it- GAD 65 antibody- is frequently found in autoimmune diabetes. It is the most common antibody found in diabetics, and if it's the only antibody, it tends to be associated with a slower and later onset (like LADA).
    Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate_decarboxylase

5. glko

glko Approved members

Positive GAD

Last year we had all 3 kids tested. One came back positive for GAD, mIAA, and ICA, one came back positive for GAD only, one negative. The redraw had same results. This year retested my third child and, low and behold, he is positive for GAD. What I had read is that sometimes the GAD can be transient and go away, so we are going to wait 6 months to retest rather than retest right away. Given the status of my other 2, and the fact that he is an identical twin to the child with 3+ antibodies, I am afraid that we will be facing 3 kids all with autoantibodies. At least they can get their OGTTs together every 6 months.

Good luck, I hope that your retest is negative! Also take some comfort in that, from what I have read, GAD is one of the least predictive of Type 1 because it can be present in multiple autoimmune diseases, such as hypothyroid. Plus many people can be GAD positive for a long time without having diabetes.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

When Sam was dx'd he was only positive for one antibody, not sure which one. And we really don't know if he was positive before dx and if so, how long.

My sil had her kids tested, one was positive, and that was 5 years ago and it still hasn't developed into anything else

7. TimO

TimO Approved members

My non-d son, now 13, tested positive for GAD-65 five years ago - still waiting for d-symptoms. Can you be GAD-65 pos and NOT get T1D, or is it that onset can take its time to present?

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

YES! Only about a third of those who are GAD 65 positive EVER develop T1D.