- advertisement -

daughter will not drink water!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jlh0920, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on getting a 2 year old to hydrate better? She absolutely refuses to drink water, which makes me so upset, particularly when she's high! I have even tried the crystal light flavoring, which I hate to do, but have gotten desperate- that's not even working anymore. Just curious if anyone else has run into this problem! Thanks!

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Would she like to eat some ice chips with a spoon? Or how about a real silly looking straw to drink her water with? Maybe she would like to add some food coloring to her water and watch it swirl in the water before drinking it. I know you probably dont want to use bribery but you could offer a reward of something not material or food such as a sticker or watching a favorite DVD while she drinks her water.

3. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

What does she drink? What flavors of the Crystal Light have you tried? Not sure why you are so against the stuff, we love it. My favorite is the lemonade, but the kids like the fruit flavors. We don't use anywhere near as much as the instructions tell you to use, of course, just enough to give it some flavor and color. Yes, I know it is all artificial everything - but it is 0 carbs and that fact outweighs a lot.
    Does she still like a bottle? If so, give her one - with water or lightly flavored 0 carb stuff.
    And try to remind yourself that she is 2, and you can't make her drink if she doesn't want to. Usually thirst does it for you.

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

My son refused to drink plain water or milk after he was diagnosed. He drank crystal light and flavored water. I didn't like it but it was better than nothing. I did dilute the crystal light, though. We used fun sippy cups, reusable bottles. Could you make popcycles out of the crystal light to help get fluids into her?

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

For water, I drink UNSWEETENED lime carboated water, no sugar, no splenda, no aspartame. If I have company, I actually use the blender to flavour water with fresh fruit, whiz it up, strain it into the water and chill, of course you DON'T need sweetners with fresh fruit and berries!

6. Deal

Deal Approved members

We had the same trouble. What worked for us was to keep changing the container; shot glasses, things with straws, curly straws, squirt guns (yes really), sport bottles, coffee mugs, bowls, etc. Eventually he got use to drinking more water and does it on his own without needing the distractions.

7. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I hate plain water as well. I use a few drops of the mio favoring now and it makes it much more palatable for me. Maybe you try this? There are several flavors to choose from.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

When I get bored with water, I'll throw in a splash of light grape/cranberry juice (ocean spray) Yes, it has artificial sweeteners, but I'm talking about just a splash, maybe an ounce. She might like something like that, and it would be pink(ish):p

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

10. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

Remember that 2 year olds like to have choices and beware of a power struggle. Try different cups (I like the shot glass idea) and different sizes. I know we have a zillion different drink bottles, maybe a squeez bottle? Tell her it is time to drink now and offer up the choices so that it is not a choice to not drink, but a choice of what to drink from.

Try delaying something she likes untill she drinks a few sips. This is like bribery, but with something she was going to do anyway. For example, if you were going to have a craft activity that she is looking forward to, take that opportunity to say "not untill you finish your fluids". I have found this technique works well for any behavior you want your toddler to do. Always offer choices that are acceptable to you and stand your ground. Every time you give in is her step in the wrong direction.

11. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

For our two year old, we make super diluted kool-aid. We use a regular kool-aid packet, add about a half a cup of splenda (way less than called for), and we add about three times the called-for water.

12. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Crystal light is the bestest!! LOL.. I hate plain water.. my favorite is Fruit punch.. Daniel loves pink lemonade..Also Hawaiin punch has the sugar free in grape and punch...use it....no reason not to!!

13. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

We use the Crystal Light Pure - sweetened with stevia. We limit all the artificial sweeteners as much as possible. Just a personal choice - made it before D was part of our life.

Our DD also resists water. It's frustrating. We have tried popsicles and making a slushie drink for her - that seems to help a lot. For her water bottle at school I do add a packet of the Crystal Light Pure lemonade. That helps most of the time.

Good luck! I know it's a challenge!

14. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I am glad to hear Crystal Light is making a product using Stevia. I have not seen it in Canada yet. Stevia does come in a liquid dropper form. There are natural flavourings you can buy to drop into water in every flavour and then you can drop in the Stevia to sweeten. If you use carbonated water or mineral water, you can make your own healthier "sodas" (though 2 year old probably isn't into sodas yet). If only we had drinking fountains in our homes...they always want a drink out of them.

15. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

16. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

This sounds crazy but I had one that wouldn't drink milk so I would drop an m&m in the glass and he got to eat the m&m after he drank the milk. That might work for water or something else similar... good luck:)

17. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

She doesn't need water when she is high, she needs insulin.

18. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

While this was really gross to us, it worked for my son. We let him pick out a food to dunk in the water. Usually he chose a cube of cheddar cheese:eek: Shot glasses and fun straws helped too.

19. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

At dx, we were told to encourage water when my son had ketones to "flush" them out. I've read conflicting stuff here about that...is that an old school of thought??

20. selketine

selketine Approved members

The little bottles of flavoring (Mio I think it is called) are great. You can squirt as much or as little as you like to flavor the water.

I think letting her pick out a special "water" cup might help. I assume you just want her to hydrate more. On the other hand it might be best just to drop the subject for awhile to eliminate the toddler "power struggle" and the problem might resolve itself.

I recently ordered a "Slushy Magic" cup for William cause he saw it on a TV ad. This takes drinks and makes them into a slushy when you shake it for about 2-3 minutes. I haven't found a place to order the special ice cubes other than ordering it through them but might be something you want to look at.