- advertisement -

Daughter wants to go on student exchange - not sure mother is ready for this!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sprocket, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

My daughter is 15 and wants to go on a week long school exchange three provinces and 1300km away. This is our 3rd year of diabetes and she is on mdi. Although she is quite mature and responsible, I still play a role in her care (corrections, timing, etc). She has been to many sleepovers and has done okay, but I am not sure I am ready to say yes to a week so far away. I am slowly teaching her to be totally self sufficient because she is off to university in 3 years. I know she is more capable than I give her credit for, but this is very worrisome to me. I want her to know she can do anything she wants, so I feel like I am the one holding her back.
    Any advice from those who have gone through this?

2. georgia

georgia Approved members

These things are so hard. However, don't let diabetes hold her back. If she did not have diabetes, would you say yes? If so, find a way to let her go. It won't be easy, but it is important. I let me 12 year olds go on a school trip for four nights without me. They did great. Was it perfect? no, but they loved it.
    So, I say make it work! Good luck!

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Just a thought, from someone who is quite a few years from being in your place! Could you try posting here or in a Canadian group to see if there are any families nearby that could be a resource if she had any problems that you couldn't solve by text or phone? It might give both of you some peace of mind. I'm sure you'd get some volunteers--I would, if I were close to her destination, but it looks like I am too close to home for you!

4. Sprocket

That's a good idea. I thought of flying there myself and booking into a hotel and just let her run with her group, but at least I would be there if needed.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You haven't mentioned anything about where she'll be staying, with whom, doing what activities etc. All that would factor more into my decision making than the distance.

6. Sprocket

She would be staying with another family - family of the other 15 year old exchange student yet to be determined. They'd be on the move everyday taking in all the sights and attractions P.E.I. has to offer.

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I think as long as you have a plan to check in with her once or twice a day to make sure her blood sugars are OK and you are able to identify a decent local hospital if she needs medical care she should be fine. I went to Europe most years with my middle/high school for around 10 days from the age of 13 or 14 and I think I remember just sending my parents my blood sugars each day but not otherwise having much communication. I was using a CGM but the technology was no where near as good as the dexcom is now. Does she have a dexcom? Even if she doesn't maybe you could borrow one from her endo for the week so you can watch her blood sugars. I guess you don't have the Share or G5 in Canada but it is pretty simple now to set up the G4 for remote monitoring with nightscout.

ETA: First, Prince Edward Island looks gorgeous! Wow! Second, I was going to suggest making sure she has a blood ketone meter with her so you can easily figure out if highs are a pump problem or just a normal high but I guess she is on MDI. Still useful to have in case she gets sick though.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  8. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

When I was 16, back in the 1970's, before CGM's and before pumps, I went on a week trip to Washington DC. I had been in total control of my diabetes for I think 7 years by this time, NOT MY IDEA. But what I did is call my parents every night. I was roommates with people who had no idea how to take care of an insulin dependent diabetic. The worst thing was, was I got air sick after we landed. I was sick the first 6 hours. Thankfully there was a nurse at the hotel we were at. She asked me if my diabetes was in control. I said of course it is, I'm here aren't I?

So I suggest having her call you or you call her at a set time every evening and morning. And like Meg suggested, finding out where a good hospital is is a good idea.