- advertisement -

Daughter just dx

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by T'Belle, Apr 9, 2013.

1. T'Belle

T'Belle Approved members

Hi everyone, my daughter was just diagnosed a bit over a week ago so this is still all very new to me. She had started to loose weight so kept track daily and found over a few days she was loosing 200grams a day so I took her to the GP to rule out things like worms ect. She instantly did a urine test to rule out UTI and found her sugar through the roof so sent us to the hospital.

Mikayla is 4 and she spent Easter in hospital. Her sugars were at 31 when we got there but she was rather healthy still so I'm greatful to have her diagnosed early. She was diagnosed with Coeliac disease when she was 18 months and she also has Alopecia (only a small bald patch at the back of her head) so we are no strangers to Auto Immune Diseases. Still we weren't expecting this as I'm sure no one ever is.

She has been such a trooper and is dealing with all the needles and testing so well. The strength she has is amazing.

She also has an Identical sister who doesn't have any auto immune diseases yet and 2 older brothers who both have coeliac.

I'm glad to of found a forum I can turn to for help while we are learning our way through this

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hi and welcome to the club no one wants to be in. My daughter was diagnosed nearly 8 years ago at age 4 also, and she too has an identical twin (she carries several markers). It seems you guys have definitely had your turn at the autoimmune buffet:(

You will find lots of helpful information and support on both diabetes and celiac. Many families here have the double diagnosis or have family members with one or the other.

Best of luck. This is a great place for help!

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Welcome. I'm often amazed by the resilience of children. It's such a big change and it introduces so many needles...but they just accept and move on. You are still so new at T1D - I hope you can learn here!