- advertisement -

Daughter is becoming diabetic.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TrishaP23, Jul 6, 2011.

1. TrishaP23

TrishaP23 Approved members

Thank you all for answering my questions to help me get through the wait to see the ped endo.

They ran labs today but there was an error and we won't get results until tomorrow but she did have a finger stick of 188 in the office. The doctor feels certain that this is type 1 caught very early thanks to me being diabetic and knowledgeable.

At this point, since her overnight and fastings are good and she's still having a good bit of reasonable numbers the doctor doesn't want to start insulin yet. She said that with her only being 19 months and unable to tell us if she's feeling low it's too dangerous. So at this point all we can really do is wait for it to get worse at which point they will admit her to start her on insulin. I'm to test her three times a day, fasting and two different 2 hour PPs.

The pediatrician's office will be getting a call from me tomorrow about the doctor (really a PA) we saw on Friday. I KNEW that hitting 200 was not normal but she brushed me off. I'm disgusted by how little so many in the medical profession seem to know about this disease. That needs to change.

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Sorry I didn't see your prevous post, I'm so sorry to her about your dd's dx =( since you caught it early hopfully your daughter will have a very long honeymoon (I know that doesn't really help=( ) If you feel like her numbers are getting to high for comfort I would not hesitate to call your doc and request to be put on insulin sooner, you could even dilute the insulin so you could give very small amounts. as for doc's not catching 'd' they are clueless, as my friend says "Doctors solve every problem but the comon cold witha referal to a specailst":rolleyes:

Sorry if theirs any doc's on here, your not all like that:cool:

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Good job being on top of it.

I'll repeat my nagging about ketones, if you don't have a blood ketone meter I'd get one ASAP, they make it so much easier with a tiny kid.

4. Lovemyboys

Lovemyboys Approved members

So sorry to hear about your daughter. My little guy was 13 months when diagnosed and for many months his morning numbers were okay. He wasn't on any long acting, just a little insulin with meals (.1-.3u is where we started out at). To get such little doses we had diluted insulin, so you might ask about that when it becomes time to start insulin.

Great job catching it early! You avoided what could have been a very scary hospital visit later. I know that still won't take away the heart ache that must be settling in with the diagnosis.

5. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I'd echo what Lisa said about the blood ketone meter, my hubby had never heard of it, but it's been wonderful with Isaac - so much easier than asking him to pee on anything.
    Also, even though she may be too small to start on full strength insulin you should ask about diluted insulin, it might be helpful in preserving her working beta cells for longer and even prolong her honeymoon period. Joanne at "Death of a Pancreas" blog has mad skill with diluting insulin to meet her daughters needs, she may have advice if this is an angle you decide to go for helping to treat your child's diagnosis.
    I hate to just say "I am sorry," as it sounds to hollow to me...but I do wish the trouble were different, I wish your daughter's immune system didn't attack her beta cells and she were able to completely produce her own insulin forever with no problem. We're here if you need any help. Isaac was dx at 19 months, too - I just knew when we had a random pp of 200, and yes our pedi blew it off, too...but you know what we caught it early, things are going okay (despite lack of sleep and the constant run around that d gives us!) so instead of being angry I gave them a pink panther book and reminded them of the early signs of type 1 diabetes so that hopefully no other parent's worries were brushed aside.
    Take care :)

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am glad you have caught it early. I would definitely ask about diluted insulin. Also the Pink Panther Book would be a great must read.

7. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I am so sorry to hear of the dx.