- advertisement -

Daughter in Hospital for obs and assessment

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momowun, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. momowun

momowun Approved members

Hi, some of you know I posted a few days back about the massive insulin overdose my daughter had..

Of course it's to be treated seriously but I think the person on here with the sig that says "Trust your gut...it's always right" has got the right idea.

I did not take her off the pump.. I did not go overboard into hysterics (on the outside anyway), but I did get help. I know my daughter and I know the crisis had passed. Her demeanour and body language and the discussion we had, told me so. She spoke of the incredible pain in her head and shoulders and the discomfort from the drip etc and how she doesn't want to go through that again.

She is in hospital now to be assessed. I feel perhaps it is part of her process of coming to terms with this hellish disease, rather than simply a suicide attempt per se.. (pleeease, if you feel the need to judge me or throw superiority at me - then DON'T, just take it elsewhere). If you're going to give it, be prepared to take it.

To those who PM'd me, I just wanted to thank you all for your love, support and prayers. To those who took the opportunity to lay the boots in and judge and criticize me and insinuate I'm a bad mother, all I can say is keep looking in your own backyard.

As I don't have the time or energy to respond to each one, I wanted to post this as an update and a thank you :)

The school is still pushing heavily for her to "take more responsibility" so I'll need to steel myself to stand up to that.

I feel she crumbled under the weight of the responsibility and the school will need to re-think their position and M.O. to be a more child-focused one. A friend suggests I move her to a different school, but whose to say it will be any better? Also, we have to start afresh with a whole new bunch of kids etc etc.. not fun for most kids, let alone one who's 'different'

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I missed your posts.

All I can say is that I hope that your dd and your familiy get the help that you need to deal with this situation until everyone can be trusted again.

3. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

I'm glad she's in a place that's safe. Hope she continues to improve. Hope there is outside support system (mental health needs) in place for when she is discharged. All of this will take time. Good luck, and I'm glad you came back to let us know where things are. (((Hugs)))

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Good luck, and all the best to you and your daughter. Wishing you both well...

- Kathy

PS - that's "Heather in CA" trust your gut! :) She is soooooooo right!

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I missed your other posts, too. Were they under another username, since the post tally on your username says this is your first post?

I am glad that you sought help for your daughter and I am very sorry that you are going through this.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Firstly, I am very glad your daughter is getting the help she needs and I hope she is feeling better soon.

Secondly, I honestly did not see people criticizing you, I am sorry you feel that way. It appeared to me that people were genuinely concerned and were trying to give helpful advice. However, I may have missed something, I went back to look at the thread and it is gone.

Finally, as for the school, it is not up to them to determine the course of your daughter's medical treatment. That is up to your family and her ped endo. I would absolutely not change schools just because of this issue. I think that would send the wrong message to your daughter. Responsibility is a tricky issue. It is very important that our children take responsibility for the management of their disease, but when and how much and how often is going to be different for each unique individual.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  7. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

I'm glad your daughter is doing better, I read the previous post and was very depressed about the whole situation. I don't know what happen in the other thread or in what way it was abused, but don't give up on this forum, it is a great tool to learn about D, don't let a couple of individuals drive you away from here. No everybody is living the "perfect" life with diabetes as some want to portrait. Good luck to you and your family.

8. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

1. You're her mother and she depends on you for knowing what is right for her.

2. The school needs to understand point #1! She is YOUR child and not THEIRS.

3. I'm very glad you and she are getting the help that is needed. I know for sure that if my family were to ever have to go through something like this, I would want people to be supportive and give me encouragement. This site is a tremendous tool for those things.

And Heather in CA is dead on: Trust your Gut!

I'll keep your family in my prayers. Keep us posted.

9. momowun

momowun Approved members

Thanks Alex's Dad and Christopher, others for support.. sorry if I missed yr name..

To those still choosing to attack me, I don't think this is the place to be attacking people. Our kids have a big enough cross to bear already..

In my shock, grief, fear, confusion, I did retaliate to nasty comments made to me.. and I understand that in every basket there are one or two rotten apples, but I'll choose to overlook them in the future..

Not changing schools whoever said that, I agree.. very wise I think.

My daughter is feeling much better.. the irony is she seems to have been fine for weeks, but only just disclose to me on the weekend..

At times I find parenting a challenge but I don't find my daughter a challenge. I love her dearly and feel so privileged to have such a wonderful daughter.

Thanks to the lady who encouraged me to stay here, too.. After the abuse I copped, I didn't want to come back, but 99% were so genuinely helpful..

Also. the quote thing was explained to me but I still haven't got my head around it. Please bear with me as I work this thing out..

10. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I'm so happy that she is being helped now.

I have to admit that her situation really hit me, and I totally maxed out a credit card this weekend and spoiled my daughter.

I don't remember, do you have an endo?

I still think the hospital should have provided a psych for her and not let her go.

Please keep us updated.

Also, are you aware of the upcoming artificial pancreas?

I know I'm more optimistic than most, but this could be a great thing for you and your daughter to look foward to in about five years. It's not a cure, but life will change dramatically from Dr. Damiano's AP.:)

11. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I dont know what went on... it doenst matter, you and your daughter are in need of prayers, and I will send them up for you. :cwds:

12. momowun

momowun Approved members

Yes, we have an endo.. when I spoke with him today he suggested I take her in immediately to be admitted which I did.. even though her current state is very 'normal' for want of a better word..

Artificial Pancreas!! wow :) That is great to hear..

Great to hear you maxed out yr CC too. LOL

13. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I am new so I missed your original post but I have to say you and your daughter will be in my thoughts. I am sorry she is having a hard time and that you feel/felt attacked. A little compassion from those who are not in your shoes can go along ways. Some people do not know how to have compassion for things they have not experienced themselves. So really just skip the negative and be supported by the positive. Or try to at least i know its easier said than done. I hope your daughter continues to improve.

14. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'm glad she is getting the help that she needs. I'm sorry you were made to feel like a bad mother. I hope you find the support that YOU need as well during this difficult time!!

15. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I just wanted to say that I am glad she is being observed and helped.
    I wish you all the best in the road to recovery!!

16. momowun

momowun Approved members

Thanks Analisa.. it's not something that's easy to talk about.. yes I do need support but I also feel sensitive about protecting my child's privacy. A frind who lives far away called me randomly today and it was such a relief just to tell someone what's happened.. Somebody with a little bit of emotional distance but who is on our side..I have access to a therapist through EAP who I'll see next week.. not that they'll probably know anything about D

17. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

http://www.artificialpancreas.org/

Here is the link!

Again, it's not a cure, it's the closed loop.. Pump, CGMS and glucagon.

But, WHEN it's ready for our kids, no more highs, lows, I think counting carbs will be a thing of the past also... not sure.

There are some YOUTUBE stories on this also, have her look...
    :)

18. momowun

momowun Approved members

Thanks BP, already checked it out!!!

Will look at more, and YT as you suggested..

Thanks for sharing your optimism - it's really exciting to think of such a thing in our kids' lifetime :)

19. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

It's time to stop bickering about who said what to whom. A discussion of the insulin overdose is fine; the bickering is not.

20. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

I am very glad your daughter is being assessed and receiving assistance.

There is a wealth of knowledge and support on this site. If you want you can take what you like and leave what you don't. That is the beauty of an online support group, you can simply not read what you don't care to read. But be aware that when you post to a public forum you are inviting comments from all and it is quite likely that some posters may not offer the kind of support and advice you want them to give you. I also do not think it is reasonable to tell people that only certain kinds of comments are welcome.

I know that we can all be emotionally very raw in dealing with our CWD. I also know that it is easy to perceive an attack when one may not be intended.

It would be lovely if we all understood each other perfectly 100% of the time. But since that is unlikely, a bit of a thick skin and the personal reassurance that we are all doing the very best we can helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.