- advertisement -

Daughter going to d camp on Sunday anyone else?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tammy82, Jun 26, 2014.

1. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

My 10 year old daughter will be going to camp nejeda on Sunday and I'm already starting to get the nervous stomach. This will be my daughter's second year going, she had a great time last year and was taken great care of. I can't help but to feel sad she's leaving and excited for her at the same time. I have to constantly hold back tears once I get to camp and especially when We go to the cabin and i have to unpack her stuff to get her settled in. I thought I would feel better this time around but I don't. Anyone else feel this way too?

2. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Hope it goes well for all of you!
    Most likely will be sending DS to Camp Nejeda next summer; I'm hoping it will help him be a bit more independent when he goes to middle school.

Stay strong!

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Opposite here, I've been teary eyed because he is NOT going anymore (he's all grown up, no more camp for him!). Such good and positive memories and experiences from D camp, I keep seeing the photos and info on Sweeney's facebook page and I'm feeling sad and nostalgic.

She'll have a BLAST. I personally always enjoyed the little mental diabetes break too.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter will go for the first time in late July. I'm nervous and excited for her at the same time. Not necessarily about diabetes, but more just overnight camp in general. I hope your daughter has a great time!

5. dshull

dshull Approved members

My son is also going to Nejeda on Sunday! This is his first time going along, last summer we went to family camp and we all had a blast. I am really excited for him, I went to overnight camp as a kid and it is one of my fondest memories as a kid. But I will miss him so much!! I feel like our lives are so intertwined and it is hard to imagine not seeing him or knowing what he is doing for a week. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm worried about his health. That's not it, I've seen their operation in action and I know they will take great care of him. It's just so bittersweet. My husband has me practicing saying goodbye with a smile on my face, he said no tears allowed until we get in the car :)

I know this is a good thing for everyone and I have my fingers crossed that he'll love it.

6. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

I just dropped off my 10-year-old to her first T1D camp yesterday morning. 8 days.

We had went to a family function hosted by this camp a month or two ago. The people are so nice and kind. I feel pretty confident that she will be well taken care of.

Plus we already got emails from the camp that the buses arrived at the camp site, with their menus for dinner, and plans for the evening. Their facebook page has updates about the camp.

My DD is pretty shy, but she was so excited. So, I actually feel pretty good about it. I think this camp experience will be good for her.

I hope all will go well for you too, and you will get some rest while your child is at camp. I woke up at 3AM last night, and realized that I don't have any little fingers to brick.

7. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Dshull Yes they run very smoothly there so you don't have to worry as far as that goes. Last year i got teary eyed as I pulled up to the camp. I'm glad it was sunny and I was able to,wear my sunglasses. I did calm down once I saw how nice and happy the people were there. I loved the whole atmosphere also. I did hold it together luckily right after I said goodbye to my daughter and was walking out of her cabin then the tears came again. It's very emotional very exciting and sad at the same time. Your son is going to love it though

8. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I can understand that. I would feel bad too

9. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Yes me too not too worried about the d part as they run a great operation

10. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I'm glad all went smoothly for you that's nice facebook can give some updates.

11. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I think our daughters are at the same camp! Bearskin Meadows? This will be DD'S 2nd year there. It is a great camp! Maybe our girls are on the same deck! Enjoy your week off... your DD is in good hands!

Happy camping for all our CWD!

12. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I responded to you below also but forgot to add one more thing. Did you sign up at bunk1? If your not sure what that is you can send letters which is additional cost but also for the $12.95 you can see pictures of your son each morning and totally worth the money. They take anywhere from 100 to 200 photos of the kids each day. I would go on each morning and would find,a,bunch of photos which my daughter was in and seeing that she was happy made me feel,so much better. A few of the parents that were on facebook last year didn't know about it but the paper with the info was included in the last mailing.

13. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

"I think our daughters are at the same camp! Bearskin Meadows? This will be DD'S 2nd year there. It is a great camp! Maybe our girls are on the same deck! Enjoy your week off... your DD is in good hands!"

Yes!! Bearskin Kids Camp. I dropped her off at the San Francisco pickup location yesterday. My daughter will be 11 soon, so may be they are in the same group. How fun!

14. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter will be attending D camp for the first time at Gales Creek Camp in Oregon from July 27 through August 1. Is anyone sending their child/children to Gales Creek Camp? (Or have you sent a child to this camp in the past?)

15. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

My son started at camp Nejeda when he was first dx'd at age 12...leaving him there the first time was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. They took great care of him and he has retuned every year since. He's 18 now and this is his second year as a senior counselor. He works the entire summer, in fact is there now for counselor week. He comes home tomorrow for his High School Graduation and will retun on Saturday to get ready for the campers. It is a wonderful place and your son probably won't want to come home at the end of his session. Enjoy the break from D and don't worry too much.

16. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I wish my dd was at d camp right now. Instead she has d camp the week prior to school start!

I get her back the dAy before school starts!

If I had not already fallen in love with this camp maybe I would have found a better timed camp.

I envision her going to maybe your ca camp next year and then our great " CA" camp.

17. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We picked Chris up yesterday after his "week" at Victory Junction. I was a wreck dropping him off and the whole time he was gone. I kept checking my phone to see if they had called and to make sure we had signal ( I was in very rural mountains most of the time while he was at camp) but he was fine, that was not only his first time at Victory Junction And his first time at camp, but the first time he had been away for me for longer than a night. Whew! It was stressful.

But when we picked him up and he talked for well over an hour about all the stuff he did and how much fun he had, that made it all worth it.

18. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

Hi Pauline yes I remember you responded last year to my post as it was my daughters first year and I was a wreck.

19. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

That really stinks that the timing was so bad for your daughters camp, maybe you can find another next time around. I know people will travel a bit. We are a little over an hour away but I may make an overnight trip out of it and bring my other daughter to the waterpark they have a few miles away from her camp depending on the weather and if I can find a place to,stay.

20. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

That's nice my daughter too talked my ear off when I picked her up. Luckily my daughters camp uploads photos they take each day so I was able to find of bunch of pics she was in and knew she was having fun.