advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daughter going on weeklong student exchange - would like input on MDI

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sprocket, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

My DD 15 is going on a student exchange three provinces away. She is on MDI - Levemir, Novorapid and Apidra. We've been at this about 3 years now and doing well. However, she has never been away from me for that length of time and their schedule of activities is VERY busy and active. She has a CGM and we will have the G5 by the time she goes away, so I will be following her. I will be in contact with her throughout.
    What I am most worried about is with the increased activity, will it just be her rapid insulin that may need decreasing, or do you think we may need to adjust basal doses as well?
    Any input is appreciated.

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

I have to adjust all my insulins with increased activity, but especially the basal.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

This has been our observation as well. :cwds:

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I agree that basal needs to be adjusted, too. Basal rates are definitely what I have to pay attention to the most when our routines change.

5. Sprocket

Okay, thank you everyone. I am thinking what might be wise is to be very busy and active the week prior to her leaving, and see if we can adjust levemir before she goes.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The first year my kid went to (non-D) camp, I had the same idea of increasing exercise the week before. It didn't even come close to comparable.

I think the next year, we decreased basal by 20% and increased carb ratios by 2, set target to 150 rather than 100 for the week, and then reevaluated on a daily basis. It would be better to have her run high for a day or two than sleep through lows. (I had to call my kid 17 times before getting her to wake once for a Share alarm when she was half a country away....not fun!) We also did an unbolused 10g or something of nut bars at night to combat lows from the muscles replenishing their stores during sleep.

She needs to know that ketone testing is crucial when high for more than a couple hours or if she feels nauseous. It's so easy to forget to test, but so crucial. My kid was at camp one year with another that didn't bring strips. She was in the hospital in DKA by mid-week.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Great advice.

8. Sprocket

Yes, thank you for the advice. We got a great bit of news this week - the exchange student is also a Type 1 girl!!! I am so pleased. I feel so much better about it all.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Wow! That's amazing! What are the chances?!