advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark patches on skin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 2' started by Kaylee's Mom, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

My in-laws are raising their granddaughter. They have a house right next to ours (they do not live here full time .. just visit during summer .. vacations) My neice who will be 10 in May is very over weight. My MIL has mentioned to me for the 3rd time something about dark spots on my neices skin. She said it is the start for diabetes and she can tell when she has had to much sugar since these dark spots start showing up. I had never heard of this so did google it and found a little bit about it but the ADA site claimed most likely the spots would be on legs. The first time she showed me one the skin was more like wrinkled in a patch on the back of her neck. But MIL claims they also show up on her arms when she eats sugar. Have any of you heard of this or dealt with it?

Crystal

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Google acanthosis nigricans.. it's not something that would seemingly come and go though.

3. Kaylee's Mom

Thanks ... It certainly looks like what she had on the back of her neck .. but I am not understanding why it would come and go. Why my MIL would say she can tell when she has had to much sugar?

Crystal

4. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I don't think it comes and goes but it can appear to become lighter so maybe that is what is happening. I do know it looks like the person is dirty and doesn't bathe but they do. It is common to see it with insulin resistance.
    It would be a good idea to have the child checked for insulin resistance and PCOS.

5. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

Yes, this...:cwds:

Christine

6. Kaylee's Mom

Well my MIL said they have to go to the Dr. each month to have her tested. And they are supposed to help her lose weight .. which is not happening. I looked up POCS and hope it is not that ... thanks for the suggestions. I just wish I could talk to the in-laws and help prevent the diabetes but they do not listen :(

Crystal

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

It's worth considering hyperpigmentation with I believe comes with Addison's (JFK's condition). If it's on the back of the neck, though, I'd be inclined to think it's a birthmark (like a stork-bite?) that lightens and darkens with sun exposure, very variable with the hair covering that part of the neck?

8. Deal

Deal Approved members

9. ReneeWittman

ReneeWittman Approved members

My son's doctor looked for those dark spots on my son at his initial appt and told me that this is common. I have diabetes, so he looked at me for them to show my son, but I don't have them. According to him, these dark spots appear around the neckline. Good luck to you.:)