- advertisement -

Dangerous low - DD playing with meter remote

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2kids, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

I have felt the same way when I have posted things at times. I read a lot but don't post often...so I felt like I wasn't in the "in crowd". JUST KNOW...THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE THAT READ THAT FIND ALL POSTS HELPFUL AND WHEN THEY RESPOND IT IS IN A CARING MANNER....DON'T GIVE UP...I HAVEN'T!!!:cwds:

2. Sammerjam

Sammerjam Approved members

For what its worth, it is really easy to bolus on the minimed by accident. I just tried it on my pump...hit "B" button twice, ACT, up arrow, then ACT.

Back to OP, I'm really glad your daughter was ok, and thank you for the warning for the rest of us.

3. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

How scary. I can see a young kid being curious and playing with buttons. And nothing wrong with you warning people.

(((HUGS))).

4. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

While it could be tricky for a 6 yr old to ezCarb or combo bolus with the ping remote, I can see how easy it would be to do a normal bolus. I can also picture a 6 yr old trying to see how it's done, playing around with it and hitting the OK button at GO and be like "oh crap!!". So I don't thing it's too crazy to think it can happen. Lesson learned on all ends for you guys. It a good reminder to everyone that these "gadgets" are more than what they seem and innocent button pressing for a curious 6 yr old can become dangerous. I don't think you were off in posting this, nor do I find it at all suspicious. I'm sure you have new restrictions and practices in place to avoid it from happening again. Glad she was OK. Thanks for sharing your story.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I agree that it's easiest to bolus accidentally on the MM of all the pumps, but if you hit one different key anywhere in that sequence, you don't bolus. It's not really that easy at all. But around age 3 or 4, a child could certainly bolus intentionally if they've seen the key sequence enough times, that's for sure.

Regardless, this thread makes it clear that we really have to beat it into our kids' heads not to play with their pumps or remotes. And if they eat something, they need to tell us, instead of trying to dose for it on their own. I'm not sure what has been said that is so controversial in this thread, but I never underestimate the capability of people to take offense.

6. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I totally agree.

Thank you for posting and for hanging in there amidst all the useless noise. I'm sure your post will act as a warning to others to be aware and more cautious of leaving their remote laying around. It's great information.

7. hawkeyegirl

Good to see you around!

I'm curious which part of the thread you consider "useless noise." I thought the discussion of how accidental boluses could happen and the relative liklihood of it happening on various pumps was interesting!

Now that I think about it, on the MM, an accidental suspending of the pump is probably the most likely serious accidental action. ACT, arrow down, ACT. I wonder how often that happens?

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

So because someone has a differing viewpoint, or asks a question, they are trying to take over the forum or create drama? I think that is a very narrow and incorrect perspective. It is interesting that you chose to not take your own advice to just "laugh and ignore".

Not sure why you are yelling. Anyway, not every single post has to be helpful or caring. There are hundreds of individuals on this site with their own thoughts and feelings. Just because people choose to express those feelings, and sometimes those feelings are not the exact same as yours, does not make them uncaring. But I am glad you have not given up. :cwds:

Nice to see you jump into the fray again when things get hot. Not sure what "useless noise" you are talking about. I think everyone who posted here agrees that this was a serious problem and that this thread is a good one and is useful as a cautionary tale.

After being on this site for almost 5 years, it still amazes me when people get so riled up and shocked when other people express a differing viewpoint or ask questions or do not simply distribute hugs and rainbows every single post. Oh well.....:cwds:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  9. caspi

caspi Approved members

If this is true, then why make the following statement, which was totally uncalled for....

The "In Crowd"? Really? That has got to be one of the most ridiculous comments I have seen on here in quite awhile. You admit you don't post often - but those that do are taking time out of their busy lives to HELP others. I'm not sure how your comment is helpful at all...... :confused:

10. KatieJane'smom

Thank you!!

11. hawkeyegirl

You're welcome! I just wish that a wider variety of threads interested you enough to post more!

12. KatieJane'smom

I'm so glad you are interested in what I have to say. I am interested in a wide variety of posts but I just don't feel the need to comment on every thread nor do I have the time to sit in front of the computer all day. I'll try to comment more often instead of just reading now that I know you are so welcoming.

13. hawkeyegirl

Oh, I know what it is like to be busy! As a working mom with two kiddos, I hear ya! It is nice that you always take the time to comment in the "hot topic" threads, though. I understand how it could seem tedious to some to give boring old advice day in and day out. It really is time consuming. ;).

14. KatieJane'smom

I didn't realize this was a "hot topic" thread. It's not in the hot topics section. I don't know where you get that I "always take time to comment in the hot topic threads". I don't even visit the Hot Topics and have rarely ever commented in them. I'm not really home much to give boring old advice so I usually just read without commenting to stay out of the drama. In fact, I have to run off to work now in a few minutes. When I am home I prefer spending time with my family.

My posting in this thread was simply agreeing with a previous poster, thanking the OP for her advice, and giving her some encouragement since she seemed to feel somewhat unappreciated because of what some other posters had said to her. See below:

Speaking of useless noise - the subject of my post doesn't seem to have one thing to do with the OP's original post or any of the other discussion in this thread so getting back to the OP now. My apologies that your very important warning thread was derailed. I truly hope this serves as a caution to others.

15. hawkeyegirl

Oh, you took me literally, LOL. I meant that lately you seem to mostly post in threads where there is drama brewing! Not the boring old advice threads where everyone is getting along fine. Sorry for the misunderstanding! I totally agree with you about spending time with your family! So important!

I still didn't see any useless noise before you posted, but different strokes!

Sorry to the OP for this digression between old friends!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  16. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I think it's time to close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.