- advertisement -

Damn Meter, damn strips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Nov 24, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

So he was 300 after soccer practice, in combination with the delayed pizza spike from lunch 6 hours earlier, I chose to correct with .5. Well not an hour and a half later, I do his bedtime check and he's 55. I doubled checked...58 crappy. He didn't even feel the drop of over 100,points. Well he gets his 3 glucose tabs. I wait fifteen and check again...55 WT! I dump strips and get new ones..84 whew! Much better. Don't know what it could have been.? Anyway, extra carbs for tonights snacks.

2. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

When you say you "dumped" the test strips...do you mean you threw them out in the trash ?

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I hope you didn't throw those strips away. I know the standard rule is 15g & test again in 15 mins, but in reality, low treatments rarely work that fast for us...even glucose shots.

4. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

It could have been so many things; a bit of insulin still working against his previous high, the glucose tabs not working quite yet. Just test and treat, sometimes that's all you can do!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The difference could well be within the margin of error. You have to stop looking at the numbers as absolute. They are not. And as the others noted, I hope you didn't actually dump the strips. They are most probably just fine.

Good luck tonight.

6. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Yeah if those suckers are still in the canister, I'd pull them right out of the garbage, lol! I know your frustration though. I once sat in a parking garage trying to get a meter reading out of the 60's before I would drive C and I home from her Endo appointment. It was dark by the time we got going and DH was like where ARE you? I usually assume when that happens that the 1st reading was lower than shown. I know I have to wait a good 20 mins for Caroline but I get antsy, test at 15 and then regret it :rolleyes: Then the extra sugar I gave (overtreating her) pops up at the next check:eek: I'm getting more patient though.

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

did you do a control solution test on the strips? We've had times that Ashleigh didn't move up in 15 minutes, where we had to do 2 kinds of treatment (juice + tabs) in order for her BG to budge. And once she went 10 points lower after juice! But in that situation she accidentally over bolused so we were working against extra insulin.

8. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

It could have been the glucose tabs finally kicked in. Shirley, our endo says adrenalin highs can take 4 hours to come down and that we should not correct them. Corrections are always tricky after sports and even more so while a child is still honeymooning.

9. danielsmom

I still have the strips... I just panicked and I haven't done that in a while. Daniel has has 3 practices this week and I do notice and he's been having dinner right after and I have been noticing that the insulin hits him faster. I don't correct exercise highs. But he has never been 300 from a practice. And this one was not as intense, so I attributed part of the high to the pizza lunch he had had hours earlier. So I decided to correct. I guess I should have not and waited until bedtime check if necessary and correct then.

10. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Did you wash hands and recheck that 300?

11. danielsmom

I didn't recheck. But he had just washed. I have been more diligent about making sure hands are clean after I read In my thread how dirty fingers can really throw off numbers.
    So do you always double check a high?

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

We always, always double check a high. You would be very surprised at how different the second reading can sometimes be. ;)

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I do always double check now Shirley. A high bg that is but not a low. With a low I immediately start treating but with a high # I usually retest and there have been a few times where the difference has been up to 50 points lower. There are sometimes when its a bit higher and then I usually laugh and say I should have just left well enough alone!:rolleyes: But yeah, Im in that habit now cause I'd hate to correct a 300 when hes really just 250 and dropping fast

14. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We always double check a high as well, and if we are going to correct (especially at night) we go with the lower of the 2 numbers.

I agree with the previous posters, that it could easily have been him just taking a bit longer to come up. The 15 minute "rule" is more of a suggestion. We've seen numbers go up in as little as 5 mins, or as long as 40. Just depends on the other things going on at the time.