- advertisement -

"Dad, I feel high". I have never heard these words. You?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Nov 14, 2012.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Our 9 year old son was diagnosed in July and does a great job of catching his lows. Four months in and he's never said he feels high. He's certainly been high, but says he doesn't feel it. Do your kids speak out on highs? Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

There are a few reasons that you may not be hearing this. First, highs generally don't cause symptoms as quickly as lows - you are probably catching the highs with the meter before they become symptomatic. Also, the body and brain can calibrate to highs if they happen often enough, especially if the onset of diabetes was long and dx recent then there's a sense memory of highs as normal which persists for a while.

My dd knows if she's high only if she's been high for a while - say she is a bit high going into lunch at school, underboluses for lunch by accident or fails to add a correction to the bolus then by the end of the school day when she checks she may have been in the high 200s or low 300s for a few hours and she'll "feel high" ie she needs to pee, she's thirsty, she's feeling cranky etc but it only happens when a series of mistakes have created a high that has been stuck for a while and she's beginning to experience the physical consequences of the high.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I don't hear it verbally but I SEE it physically and emotionally. My son is short tempered, sometimes downright mean and bristly when high. It's very very apparent, he sees it but it's not an emergency type thing like a low is where his body sends out an adrenalin response with shaking and sweating.

*I* can VERY clearly tell a high.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I know I'm high if I wake fairly high (250 or higher), because I wake up feeling dehydrated (which includes a nasty headache) and need to pee like a racehorse.
    I never notice it otherwise, probably because I drink frequently enough to not get dehydrated.

5. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

My 6 year old, who has been diagnosed for nearly a year, has no idea when she is high. We really can't tell either so when we check her BG it's always a big surprise. She's always been able to tell when she is low though, so that's a good thing.

ETA: we do see changes when we have a stubborn high that we are fighting. She get's easily aggravated and lethargic. She just doesn't seem to feel good, probably because she doesn't! She doesn't notice these changes though.

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Depends on how high she is. If she starts getting really thirsty, she suspects it and checks.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Mine does. She says her vision begins to be affected by 200 usually. I'm fortunate in that instead of being mean or whiny, she becomes quiet and withdrawn. As soon as she hits the 170 mark, she resumes chattering.

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana is 11 and has had D for 2.5 years. Only in the past few months has she been able to detect her highs with how she feels. Unfortunately, lately we've been having quite a few, whereas before, hitting anything over 220 was rare. So maybe that has something to do with it?

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

My daughter says (with rolling eyes) "Nobody EVER feels high"..... She does feel thirsty and grouchy however.. :rolleyes:

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Once in a great while (less than once every 2 months or so), DD will accurately report feeling high.

11. MyHandsAreFulll

MyHandsAreFulll Approved members

Ava doesn't feel highs really either. She sometimes says she feels low, when she is actually 300+ Before I take her BG I always try to ask her is she is hi/lo or on target, just so that she takes a minute to think about how her body feels.

12. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

My son gets more emotional or short tempered easier when high. But the times he was high high and that was because dad and I forgot to give his insulin with his meal(ugh!), it caused extreme stomach pain, and he recognizes that as high high, which I hope won't happen again in the near future...

13. Mish

Mish Approved members

"low" makes the body scream, "DO SOMETHING NOW". "high" doesn't, so kids don't necessarily feel the need to verbalize it the way they do with a low. And like Sarah Maddie's Mom said earlier, it doesn't happen as quickly, so most kids just take a very long time to register that they're high. With my son it has to be all day for him to really notice.

14. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We're over 3 years in, and DS is just barely starting to figure out when he's high--usually because he's peeing a lot or really thirsty. And usually it's only when he's REALLY high, like has a bad site for a long time, BG's in 4 or 5 hundreds.

It sounds normal to me!

15. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son doesn't necessarily feel his highs...but I can sometimes see it in his face and demeanor...he gets very lethargic and glassy eyed. I can also sometimes feel it in his fingertips...they feel hot and very dry.

He can, however, often feel his BG when it is rising quickly...although he often misinterprets it as feeling low because he says he feels shaky. If he feels shaky and his BG is not low, I know to check him a bit later because there is a good chance he is going high.

16. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

If I get too high(into the high teens or 20s), my knees cramp and I loose my vision.

17. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip doesn't usually feel his highs. Like someone else said only when he's been high for a while, but not always. Sometimes when he tests high I'll ask him if he feels it. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

18. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Campbell can usually tell. He gets jittery and cranky when he's high. He also tends to be pretty thirsty.