- advertisement -

D-Kids with high cholesterol?...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aherbrand, Dec 28, 2012.

1. aherbrand

aherbrand Approved members

I insisted that DS have his cholesterol checked after his diabetes diagnosis because there's a strong family history of high cholesterol...sure enough, his total was 270 with an LDL in the 190's. Triglycerides and HDL are great.

The children's preventive cardiologist told me he likely has an inherited genetic defect (courtesy of me), called hypercholesterolemia.

He's super active, lean, and otherwise a very healthy, robust, energetic kindergartner. I try to feed our family a lean diet. The cardiologist will be monitoring him until he's 8 (2 years) and then he will go on a statin.

I'm not surprised at all that he inherited the high cholesterol - but it's still upsetting to me. That plus the diabetes...there's two big strikes against his health and I feel like the cards are heavily stacked against us.

Anyone else have diabetic children with cholesterol issues??

:(

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If it were me I would get a second opinion. I don't know what tests this Dr. did but it seems like a big jump to a genetic defect. Also, I sense some guilt in your post and that is not going to help anyone so I would also work on letting that go (if it is there at all).

As for the cholesterol, I know it is an issue with some people with diabetes. In Danielle's case she does have high cholesterol but it is the "good" one (HDL) that is high, so the endo is not concerned right now.

3. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Not cholesterol but my son has high blood pressure and takes meds for it. He is seen by a Peds Nephrologist. There is also a big family link on my husbands side, DH, his 2 brothers, their dad and their Grandma all have high BP. Ironically one of my BILs is a cardiologist. However none were as young as my son.
    Try not to blame yourself it's not productive and doesn?t do anyone any good. I hate the saying but it is what it is. All we can do is to pick ourself up by our bootstraps and move forward. (yes, I'm a country girl ;) )

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'd definitely look at other options before starting meds for it, my research shows that with high HDLs you don't need to worry as much.

My son borders on 200, but his HDLs are in the excellent range and while we are watching it, I'm not that concerned. We are trying a trial of red yeast rice supplement to see if it helps, and have started him on fish oil.

5. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

Not a PWD, but fish oil helped my husband immensely to lower his cholesterol. Hope it works well for your son as well.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Somebody else has posted on here about having familial hypercholesterolemia. And I don't think it's a leap; there really aren't all that many causes of such high cholesterol levels in a pre-pubertal kid.

7. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Yep not a leap. In an otherwise healthy active kid, that's an inherited dyslipidemia. There are several inherited cholesterol disorders and they are not particularly rare. Familial hypercholesterolemia has a prevalence of 1 in 500.

Without treatment it can lead to cardiovascular disease in the 30s and 40s. Considering that many people don't have their cholesterol screened until their 30s, it's good that you're keeping an eye on it and starting a statin when you need to.

8. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

My 11 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes at age 3 1/2. By age 4 his total cholesterol was 226 with an LDL of 158. The numbers only went up from there. His diet and exercise was wonderful but nothing brought the cholesterol down. Fish oil pills were tried and while they did not help, I know that for some they can. I encourage you consider that immediately. Besides, use of fish oil helped my son learn to swallow pills. By age 5 my son was on cholestid. It is not a statin but for about 4 or 5 years it did a beautiful job of keeping my son's cholesterol in a normal range. A couple of years ago the numbers started creeping up so my son had to switch to 5 mg of Lipitor. Again, his numbers are beautiful.

I hate that he is on a cholesterol medication but nothing I did diet wise helped. I have lost family members due to heart and stroke related issues. I cannot change my son's family medical history but I do my best to make sure that his blood sugar as well as cholesterol numbers are as good as reasonable within him also living a normal life.

9. aherbrand

aherbrand Approved members

Thanks so much for your replies. I've decided to take the attitude, that, knowing about the cholesterol now versus twenty years from now will make a huge difference in his cardiovascular health. Better to address it now, right?

Myself, I have been on a statin since my early twenties and my cholesterol has been monitored since I was in high school. I'm sure mine was probably high also as a young child - but no one would have thought to check cholesterol on a kid back then.

My parents and their families both have high cholesterol - singlehandedly keeping the pharmaceutical companies in business : )

So - this wasn't a big shocker to find out W has high cholesterol. I just never dreamed I'd be dealing with this and diabetes both.

I will be starting him on a fish oil. Even if it doesn't bring the levels down, it sure can't hurt.

Thanks again.