- advertisement -

"D-day" - important??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHS22, Dec 21, 2013.

1. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Our nurse made a comment at clinic the other day that got me thinking. She said that in her experience diagnosis day is a big deal, and people remember their exact day, even 'celebrate' it. She is type one, and my husband who is type 1 as well do remember their "D-day".

So my question is, is it that important? Her diagnosis was more of a process than a day, so should I 'pick' a day for her?

Would it be the day we tested her on my DH meter and got a 12? Or the first day we spent at the hospital - but we didn't start insulin then and not an official diagnosis that day as her sugar never went above 10 while we were in the hospital. Or would it be the few weeks later when she actually started insulin?

Or am I just over thinking all of this! LOL

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Yes, over thinking. Lol.

I would probably pick the day you first tested her. You pretty much knew she had it then. She is old enough to have some day in it though. I might ask her when she thinks her "official" day is.

We don't celebrate d day per we, but it does stick out in our minds. E remember it and remember what we were doing that day, etc. we joked about making a huge, sugary chocolate cake to mark the occasion :) but we haven't actually done anything besides reflect on how long it has been and how far we've come. But I don't see anything wrong with celebrating it. I think of it as a celebration of life and being grateful for modern medicine, without which he would not be with us.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It's what works for your family. In our case, too, there are two dates: the day the lab-work came back and the day that she was actually admitted to the hospital. I mentally mark both, but my daughter tends to go with the insulin start.

She chose to spend her first d-day volunteering where she was when we received that lab work in gratitude for how wonderful they were to us during a very traumatic week. It's morphed into many, many more hours volunteering - and is part of the things she counts as "good things because of diabetes."

The first one is the hardest, it seems, both from my experience and what I've read here. The grieving of the first year comes out again. The past one - our third - I don't even specifically remember, though I do remember being thankful for insulin and how well she's adjusted.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I have a hard time remembering the month and year.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I definitely remember the date, but I'm the only one. My son was three when he was diagnosed, and obviously doesn't. He would think it was weird if we "celebrated" his D-day, so I usually take a quiet moment to be thankful for insulin and move on.

There's no right answer.

6. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Our D Day was on Pearl Harbor day. It was also traumatic. As in, helicopter sent to transport to the nearest hospital that could treat Chris because his DKA was so bad.

We celebrate ours because that was the first day of our new normal. To us, it's as important as a birthday. Chris is the only T1Diabetic in our family tree.

7. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Two years in a row I completely forgot about it. Remembered like a week later. Too much other imoortant non D stuff going on in Hana's life to take time out for that.
    My 14 year old niece is in remission from stage 4 non Hodgkin's lymphoma. I remember the day I got the news. But I can't even tell you at this point what month it was or if it was 3 or 4 years ago. It's just a bad distant memory. We've moved on and are celebrating that she is healthy and living a normal life as a HS freshman. (Not to say my sister can't tell you exactly what day it was. Just that life goes on).

8. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Guess it really depends on your child/family.

We all know DS was DX'd on March 17; I got the call from his pediatrician that his blood work was back from the lab and to get him to the hospital when I was in his kindergarten class celebrating St. Patrick's Day with green sprinkled donuts and cookies.

We don't really make a big deal of the date. While I will always remember, I try to put in on the back burner for him. Ironically, his next endo app't is March 17, 2014.

I hope you can figure something out that works for your family.

9. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I think it depends too how traumatic and unexpected the diagnosis was. My dd was dx in the ER and I definitely remember the day. The first few years we didn't celebrate. One year I made a cake decorated like her pump. Now we usually get her a small present and go out to dinner. For me each year is a celebration that we made it this far and that she is healthy and strong. For her I figure it is a bit of extra positive attention to make up for all the pokes and other inconveniences of D.

10. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

It's not necessary to celebrate it at all. My son was a baby when diagnosed, so he doesn't remember it and has no way to relate to his day of diagnosis. There's lots of other stuff to celebrate, so no big loss there.

I remember the year and month, but not the exact day. I only remember it when I see it in my sig here. ;)

11. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

Ours is coming up in 2 days. I will always remember the date. Although we suspected for weeks, it was still a shock to see the 33 mmol at the walk in clinic. We spent that day and part of Christmas eve day in emergency.. there's no way I'll ever forget.

As far as marking the date, we are going to do something fun as a family to celebrate our success in combat this past year. I personally believe that it's a milestone that should be acknowledged - for us, anyway. Maybe that will change as the years pass.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We marked it for a few years but gradually it's become less important. I remember of course, sometimes it comes up and sometimes it doesn't.

I think folks should just do what feels right at the time and not feel bad about letting it go if it's no longer "right" or perhaps beginning to mark the day even if one hasn't in the past.;)

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

^^This^^
    Entering more because the program made me.

14. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Me daughter celebrates it every year - a trip to Friendly's (or pizza or whatever food we struggle with the most), a gift to say "Another great year of kicking diabetes' butt!" and stuff like that. She's even invited grandparents and friends along. My son has no interest in celebrating. His first year is winding to a close (he was diagnosed right after Christmas) and he has reminded me several times that he doesn't consider it celebration-worthy at all. So my daughter thinks he's crazy for not taking advantage of the opportunity and my son thinks she's crazy for having a party. I'll do whatever they want.

That said, I have given myself a 'pancreas prize' every year just for being an awesome pancreas. No one knows it but me - even my husband has no idea because I never tell anyone. It's my own little pat on the back ;) Now that I have two days a year, I'm going to feel positively spoiled. :p

15. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Haha. I love the pancreas prize. Good for you!

16. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

I LOVE it!

17. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

LOL Pancreas prize!!! I LOVE IT!!!

18. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My celebration is about getting on insulin. If there had been two days, the one I'd want to commemorate would be the one with the insulin.

19. shannong

shannong Approved members

Totally going to do this! I am the only one who remembers "D-day" and I think my son would not care to celebrate it.

20. GChick

GChick Approved members

I just think it depends on the family of the person with it, and the person themselves with it.

If it is "celebrated"/remembered in your family, then it's a good thing to do. If it is not, and that is what suits your family, then that is a good thing to do.

I personally have no idea of when I was diagnosed, and would never need something to "commemorate" the day (particularly since I dont remember much about it). I just know that it was "around" my third birthday-ish. I remember years ago us talking about a particular family picture and what a nightmare that was to take (I was apparently being a brat and a half) and I believe that they said that that was just a lil bit before my diagnosis and so maybe the high blood sugar had a lot to do with my attitude <shrug>.

Mom doesn't even remember the day, and while it is NOT important to me to commemorate it... I do however wish I just knew the date... even if it were just down to the month and year and not the day itself.

So... my advice is just to remember it, but beyond that, do whatever you/your child wants with it.... even if that is nothing