- advertisement -

D camp

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shekov, Mar 11, 2011.

1. shekov

shekov Approved members

How old was your child when they FIRST attended?

2. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

Mine attended at age 10, which was her first summer of having D. Other years, she went to summer camp starting at about first or second grade. She talks about camp all the time and can't wait to go back.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son and I attended a day camp when he was 4. He went to an overnight when he was 8 -- which was too young in retrospect.

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hailey was 8 last summer when she went for the first time. She loved it so much she went for another summer session and then she just went to a winter camp too. They started with a transition camp where the parents stay for the weekend and then if everyone is comfortable including the camp, the child stays for the rest of the week. It was such a good experience for her!!

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby first went to a D day camp when she was 6. This year (she'll be 10) she's going to do a sleep over camp.

6. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

He was 7 and it was a week sleepover camp. At 9 he did two weeks.

He loves camp, it rejuvenates him. He is the only type 1 in his school and he needs that connection. Plus all the fun of just being a boy, doing cool boy things.

7. Mom2henry

Mom2henry Approved members

My son and I went to a day camp when he was 8-I was in a parent's section on the same property. When considering a day or sleep away camp-it is so dependent on your child and the program and the degree to which your child can self advocate.

As you know: the general idea is that it is such a good experience to be with other kids.

Not to scare you but: it was lucky I was on the premises because in my case, my son was on MDI and the nurse assigned to him did not know how to use the pen-someone else then administered them-then she messed up his dosage 3 times!! Obviously this is not typical but certainly did not inspire confidence.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ian went last year for a mini D camp - Friday to Sunday. He said he liked it but doesn't want to go this year. He was 6 at the time.

9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

DD was a month shy of 6 years old when she attended one-week full-day D camp last summer.

10. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

Spencer was 8 and she LOVED it. Can't wait to go back to Kamp Kudzu.

11. mocha

mocha Approved members

My older brother was 11 when he first went, I was 13 when I first went, and my younger brother was 9 when he first went.

I've volunteered at a DDay camp for 3 year olds to 8 year olds. The kids love it, and the parents seem to love it as well (after the first day, when they realize that a few hours in the hands of diabetics and nurses and doctors isn't the end of the world :rolleyes: )

12. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

My guy was 4.5 when he first went to daycamp ... has been 3 summers and LOVES it.

PM me if you want to talk specifics about Daypoint!

13. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

Eight, in second grade, about 5 weeks after dx. She loved it, and after the second year (last year) she said camp was the best thing about diabetes:D

14. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia went to the D day camp here in MI when she was six and seven. She loved it. We are lucky that we live just few miles from the camp's location.

We tried overnight camp when she was eight. We dropped her off and she barely even noticed us leaving and didn't seem to care. That was Sunday night. Tuesday morning I got a call saying she was either crying or near tears all the time and if it didn't improve we would need to pick her up. Needless to say I ended up picking her up later that day.

We skipped the next two years, never even considered it just told her to let us know if she ever wanted to try it again. She brought it up on her own a few months ago and is gung ho. Looking back I don't know why we thought she was ready then. She had issues with anxiety that we now have a handle on and didn't then. She'd also never ever spent the night with anyone other than her grandparents and aunt. Now she's gone sleepovers many times with no problems etc. So I feel fairly confident that this year will go better.

15. angiej

angiej Approved members

Alice had just turned 7yrs for her first camp which was full residential for 3 weeks, 5000 miles from home.

16. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Family camp at age 3. First time at overnight camp, she was 8. BUT, she had been attending family camp at this camp since age 3, knew a lot of the counselors, directors, etc. I think if she was newly dx at age 8, and didn't know anyone or already feel comfortable at the camp, it would have been too young.

The transition camps for overnight is a good plan.

17. georgia

georgia Approved members

My daughter will be 8 this year going to camp kudzu. She is so excited, I hope she loves it.

18. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

My dd went for the first time at 7, for a 4-day camp. At 8 she went for a week. Had a great time both times!

19. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Where we are, the youngest they will accept at camp is going into third grade, or about 8 years old. It was about 4 days. We sent DS last year and LOVED it! He still talks about it from time to time.