- advertisement -

CWD welcome kit

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zimbie45, Sep 25, 2006.

1. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

have any of you seen this? I just put our request for one,....:cwds:

this is posted on the main page....

2. MyrandaDawn

MyrandaDawn Approved members

We just put in a request for one yesterday. Sounds cool.

3. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Awww!!!

I want one!! :)

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Carol,
    Put the request in, no reason why you shouldn't get one, it's an international website. The most they can do is say no because of shipping restrictions.

Give it a try:)

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

So is this just for the newly dx'd? I'd like to see the DVD but I didn't order one since I figure we're not exactly new to diabetes.

7. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Jamie

8. Beach bum

From the main page:

The new CWD Welcome Kit, sponsored by LifeScan and Animas, is now available to US families and includes a blank quilt square for the CWD Quilt for Life, a DVD about kids with diabetes, and comes in a cool backpack -- and it's free!

Sorry Ben's mommy, I saw this after I posted before. Looks like you don't qualify.

9. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Cool! Thanks!

Tami

10. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

This kit is making its rounds on the "freebie message boards." Those boards have people who live for anything free, no matter how unrelated it is to their life -- even if it's a coupon that they don't plan on using, there are hobbiests out there that spend hours a day trolling the Internet for free things.

If you happen to see it posted to such a board, be sure to report it to Jeff so he can request that they remove it from their site. It'd be a shame to see the kits be sent out to people who have no interest other than seeing if there is something they can resell on eBay.

(The freebie boards have recently had two different Bayer glucose meters listed, and it was somewhat annoying to see how many were listed on eBay days after people started receiving them. Same happened for BD Logic and Lifescan meters...). I attempted to slow people down by saying the meter coupon requires purchase of strips on one of the forums. :cwds:

11. bethdou

bethdou Approved members

No more for now...

I read on the Parents emai list not too long ago that Jeff has had to pull the Welcome Kit project off, because so many fraudulent claims were being put in. People who have no connection with D, people who were posing as others, and a bunch of other low-life scuzzy people who are just out for anything free hit the site and made requests. :mad:

They are working on a way to get it back up and running for those of us who really have a need or want the info. (According to Jeff or Laura on the email list, can't remember which one posted that part.....)

So if you put in a request, don't be upset if you don't receive anything - I don't think they can sort the good ones from the frauds. It might be easier (IMO) to just toss all the requests and start again, but that's just me.

Doesn't that just stink? Here Jeff and all the CWD folks were doing something wonderful, and people have to go and mess it up. :(

12. Momof4gr8kids

That is horrible that people would do that! I don't know how they will ever sort out the frauds. Why would anyone but us actually want that anyways? I just can't belive some people!!!!! That is so sad. I feel so bad for the people who worked to put it together, to have people do this. :( :mad:

13. Momof4gr8kids

14. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

To bring everyone up to date ...

Links to the CWD Welcome Kit appeared on 20 "freebie" message boards and web sites -- and that's just what we know about by tracking the HTTP referrer (the last web site visited before someone came to the request page).

Of the 1,000 or so requests, my guess is that at least half are from people with no connection whatsoever to diabetes who are just interested in getting something for nothing. All requests after the What's New mailing at 3:20 pm Eastern on Sunday are suspect. Everything after Monday is considered bad.

Given that, we will have to consider each of the early requests on a case-by-case basis. We may just decide to ignore all requests so far and start over, as described below.

The process going forward will be:

1. We will print coupons with a unique identifier code on them.
    2. Each coupon will be redeemable for one CWD Welcome Kit.
    3. We will distribute the coupons via trusted channels -- to families we know who run support groups, at CWD conferences, to clinics across the country, and to anyone else who we can be sure has a child with diabetes.
    4. The coupon code will be required to request a kit online, and once a code is used it cannot be used again.

I hope to have the coupons generated and printed within a couple weeks and we'll begin distributing them immediately thereafter.

I'm sorry for having to do this, but we have no choice.

15. Beach bum

This is terrible.
    I feel for the people who took the time and effort to put this pack together so that my diabetic child could benefit from it.
    I wonder if it didn't include a meter, and just the QFL square if these cheap people would still be interested in it!

To those who put all the time and effort into making this package that we won't be able to benefit from...I thank you.

To you cheapo's out there who are trying to make a buck off of others...boo,hiss, kiss off! And I hope you never, ever have to come looking for help from this board!

16. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

YES, they would. As JmeB78 posted, once any scent of something "free" goes out to the Freebie world, it gets posted within a few hours to all the other sites.

Some people that belong to those freebie forums will do just about anything for the items, even if it's a coupon for 25 cents off a widget, because they enjoy receiving things in the mail. I saw a free glucose meter offer from BD and Lifescan go down the tubes in two days, and then people were discussing their strategies on how to sell them on eBay for $5.00 (they were upset, because for "some reason", the expected selling price of $25+ was not being reached in their auctions...)

On one freebie board, I watched as one person posted a picture of their "loot" -- 18 containers (worth $25+ each) of Omaha Steaks products obtained simply by filling out a 5-minute survey with false data.

They will do anything and everything, and they will justify themselves for this offer by claiming that they deserve it simply because they think diabetes is spelled diahbeetees, and that they once heard about it on TV. :mad: