- advertisement -

cwd school responsibilty

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by luvmyboyz, Jun 1, 2010.

1. luvmyboyz

luvmyboyz Approved members

What kind of discipline actions does your school use for your child when he/she doesn't do what is required with diabetes care? ie Child is supposed to carry emergency supplies on their person at all times but doesn't. Child is supposed to carry water bottle but constantly forgets? Child sneaks food.
    Does the school hold any responsibilty to carry out any form of discipline when it comes to medical care?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

All these things that you mention about are the school's responsibility in Kaylee's case.. she has a bag that goes with her to all the different rooms.. its the teachers responsibility to remember that bag.. next year we will work on Kaylee being responsible for that bag...

Since he's only 9, I would think the school needs to help with reminding him to make sure he has his stuff.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

Do you want the school to discipline your child if he does these things?

I personally would not want my child punished or disciplined if these things happened. I would figure out other arrangements for the medical supplies and the water bottle and the sneaking food issue would be handled at home. None of these things are something expected of other kids or that other kids are punished for.

Frankly I'd be livid if my child was disciplined by the school for these sorts of issues.

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

have you talked to your child about why he's not doing the tasks that you expect him to do?

5. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

We have supplies in school ready for matt. In his class room, in specials, and in the nurses office. He does NOT need to carry supplies on his person. He has access to water, and could carry a bottle if he wanted. Accually, our school lets all children have a water bottle if they want. He can go to the bathroom when needed to.

Matts diabetes care, is his personal responsibility... They do what they need to. But as far as the school disciplining matt, sounds like something that should be done at home. The school is in charge of his learning needs that all children should recieve. helping him with his personal health needs is a bonus. They can sure disciplin him for not doing his homework... they cant for him forgetting a water bottle, or eating food without bolusing... Thats on him, and thats on me for the teaching.

6. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

I put a water bottle into David's backpack everyday and he keeps it at his desk during the day. His teacher has a bag that she keeps with extra juice, granola bars, and cake gel. All his D supplies, as well as more snacks are kept in the nurse's office. We have a separate meter that stays there all year long so there isn't any really taking stuff to/from school.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Her school does not do any diabetes related discipline. In my opinion, it is the school's responsibility to be aware of any non-compliance and then communicate that to the parents. It is then the parents responsibility to determine what type of home discipline is appropriate for each situation.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth has never been disciplined at school.

I have a container in each classroom with juice boxes, glucose tabs, 1 diet soda (In case there's a party we weren't aware of) Carb snacks and I think I out some beef jerky in there too:cwds: He carries his bag in his backpack. But not outside at break, he can get to something if needed and his friends would help if needed too:cwds:

I try to make his D life as easy as possible. I bought a water bottle that's in the nurses office so that if he needs water he can just go get that. It works:cwds:

9. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Our school does not have any consequences for non compliance in D care, however if J did any of those things, there would be consequences at home. He knows better.

10. luvmyboyz

My son got a written warning last Thursday. The nurse based the warning on some cumulative offenses like always forgetting his water bottle, sneaking teddy grahams, and not carrying his emergency supplies. Granted there were also some other offenses that aren't medically related that warranted some attention but I feel the other stuff should not be considered and should be dealt with at home. Aaron's never going to want to take on responsibility of his care if he thinks he could get in trouble for mistakes.

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

It was the nurse that gave the written warning? By what authority does she have to be doing this? The nurse at our school observed Steven eating his friends potato chips one day. She asked him if I knew about it, he replied that I didnt. She then called me to let me know that he had been eating the chips and that he might have a high BG when he got home. She would never feel that its her place to discipline my son in any way nor do I think she should be doing that for d related issues. This nurse should have contacted you if she felt that your son was not doing what he was supposed to as far as diabetes care goes

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It sounds like you need to sit down with the nurse (in person) and talk about your expectations regarding how they deal with your son.

13. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

Just so you know....

There is a current OCR complaint out in my state regarding this issue.

There have been lawsuits WON by parents against the school for discipling a child in regards to their diabetes.

In another state OCR sided with the parent and against the school!

This is wrong.

Just my 2 cents :D

14. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I would find out what that really means - did the nurse make it look more formal to try to get his attention? She should have talked to you first. I would not expect the school to discipline my child but I would expect the nurse to help remind him if he wasn't doing the things we agreed he should do in his plan.

I agree with the others, I would have a talk with my son to find out why he isn't doing these things. My son will not carry something around with him. We have something in each of the special rooms and I have extra stuff in his backpack, classroom, and nurses office. He does have a water bottle but it stays on his desk in his main room - like all the other kids.

I would definitely meet with the nurse so you can work this out now before she starts the next year off like this.

15. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I would talk to your son about it but I would also be very careful not to convey the "how dare she" message to him becuase if he is having compliance issues now, it will only get worse if he sees that mom and dad are on his side about it. Consequences at home, YES, no if's and's or but's about it, at school, NO. Again though, I would point out that his non compliance and lack of following D rules led to all of this even if it was not handled properly. Children take our cues from us and it is easy to pass on the wrong ones and then wonder later why our children are acting a certain way.

16. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

they contact me, they will tick him off and so will I, we work on a group pressure kinda thing.

That said, he doesn't ever run out of stuff. His meter is there and stays there (he writes all testing on paper and puts it in his lunchbox for me to see at home), I give them a box of strips for every week of term at the beginning and a case load of mentos so he's good to rock every term. It's all set up for him to succeed:)

They're good with accidents but if it's lazyniess that's the problem, they are happy to tick him off but always advise me that they have. I am happy with that and give them my support because I kinda think it's important that he realises it's not just me he's peeing off. And it's not 'all about him'.

Things will change when he goes to intermediate school (years 7 and 8) because new school and he'll probably be in charge of doing it all himself.

Putting in the ground work now.:eek:

If you take diabetes out of the issue, and a kid makes on going offences at school they get warnings, sent to the principal etc. Is this really any different. They know they're not supposed to do something, they do it anyway. If it was fogetting his books, sneaking out of class and eating would anyone have a problem with it. Nobody likes their kids getting into trouble, especially for something diabetes related, but maybe, if the kids see the cause and effect aspect of it (not unlike my son and is lack of care away from home) they will realise that it affects more than them and that there is a bigger picture. I say to my son, those are the school rules so you need to abide by them (and we have loads of rules I don't agree with here). I agree, kids play on it if they know mum and dad have their back. My son has shown this!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

is your school nurse someone you trust?? I think that if it were us and his nurse disciplined him (we have a fabulous nurse) then I would be fully on her side, because I know that she and I are operating out of the same play book. Diabetes 'tasks' are treated like any other task here. But if you and the school nurse do not see eye to eye then I can see how it would be an issue.

18. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Was there some other consequence tied to the note? If he repeats these same things does it escalate to detention or something like that?

Has she talked to him previously?

My DD (13) can be very forgetful about supplies too. If the nurse had previously talked to her about this issue, I don't think a warning note would bother me (depending on what it said or if it threatened further consequences).

In our situation, the nurse will talk to my DD and call me to bring in supplies. If I make a special trip up to school when I know I've asked my DD to put something in her backpack, (like test strips), then I take away a privilege like the internet for the night so she can manage her time better.

19. luvmyboyz

Thank you all for your input. I still have mixed feelings but I definitely am going to talk to the nurse/school about how to handle these issues in the future so we are all on the same page. I feel that the diabetes care should be kept seperate from other school infractions but I also want my son to be responsible for his actions. I know he's getting tired of diabetes and I'm hoping starting the pump soon will give him a boost. Of course summer will be a nice break for everyone.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby is finishing 3rd grade and for the most part, is pretty good about remembering her kit (but can't remember her glasses!). If she does forget her kit, the special teacher will tell her to go back to her class and get it.

She has forgotten to test before having a snack, the nurses sit her down and just reminder her that it's important to test before eating so that she doesn't get too much/too little insulin and have her down in the office later.

We are very lucky as the school has had many students with D and our nurses know that this is a learning process for the kids. They work with us to encourage and teach the fundamentals of caring for themselves.
    The staff knows that punishment won't get them any farther in becoming more responsible.