- advertisement -

CWD Conferences and Events

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zimbie45, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Calijo

Calijo New Member

Regional Conference in Canada

A Regional Conference and Expo
    August 17-19, 2007
    The Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You can view all events at: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I just wanted to note that Jeff started a forum just for this summer's FFL conference - check the main boards page.:)

3. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Park Ticket Prices, help needed!

I have clicked on the link to purchase park tickets for this event and can't access it. Not at home and not at work.

Can anyone tell me how much of a savings it is compared to regular prices? Also can one purchase the dining plan when attending CWD? And/or would it even be worth it with some of the meals provided?

I don't think dh will go for it this time (though he has agreed to go in 2009!) but it would help if I knew how much park tickets are going to be.

4. selketine

I keep trying to answer your ? but it won't let me post on this thread thought I can post on other ones. Just curious if I can post a test message here.

Ok...that worked...let me try to put in what I had typed earlier!

There are so many options for tickets that it is hard to give you a price. I assume you want all day tickets? They also offer after 2pm and after 4pm tickets.

The all day tickets get to be a better value the more days you buy them for:

Price Per Day
    Ages 10+ Ages 3-9
    Total Price*
    2 Day Ticket $59.62 $49.77 $0.00
    3 Day Ticket $57.90 $48.20 $0.00
    4 Day Ticket $45.54 $38.03 $0.00
    5 Day Ticket $37.18 $30.42 $0.00
    6 Day Ticket $31.30 $25.67 $0.00
    7 Day Ticket $27.10 $22.27 $0.00
    8 Day Ticket $23.94 $19.72 $0.00

You need to mutiply the price by the # of days. So a 5 day adult ticket is $37.18 x 5.

I don't think you can get the dining plan if you stay with the conference rate. You might do alright to book the conference nights you need with the conference rate through CWD and the rest of the trip a separate ressie with the dining plan - staying at the same hotel or move to another.

5. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Thank you Carol, that's a big help!

We need to sit down and review our budget. I have a feeling it's likely a no go for this year, but I'm hoping!

Thanks again!

6. Mymommymommy

Mymommymommy Approved members

I dont know what this is? When is it? where is it? how do we go? haha..:)

7. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

IT just happened in july.. it happens ever year though.. IF you go to the main CWD page there is a link on it to get the hightlights of it and pictures..

8. melaniej

melaniej Approved members

we would really love to go as well in the same boat ive heard there are some grants or something available i will be looking into it and will let you know

9. Billetdeaux

Billetdeaux CWD Education/Programs

Scholarships to Friends for Life

The Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation offers scholarships each year for the FFL conference. Their website is www.ecwdf.org Generally, scholarship information and the application are available online in January. Last year, 15 families received scholarships. In the past the scholarships have covered the hotel, registration, and banquet - but not travel. I am guessing - but not certain - that they will do things similarly next year. Note that the ECWDF is an entirely separate organization from CWD, so you will only find the scholarship info available on their website.

10. TracyM

TracyM Approved members

Hi - just wondering what the Friends for Life conference is?? thanks

11. Billetdeaux

Friends for Life conference

CWD holds several conferences each year. The Friends for Life conference is the big summer event held each July in Orlando. This year, it will be at the Renaissance Resort at Sea World. We are expecting about 2,500 participants, half of whom are children.

Here is the link to the information on the CWD website:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2008/

And here is a link to information about the different dates and places of all of the CWD conferences:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/

12. khannen

khannen Approved members

Parking?

We're trying to decide if we'll be able to join in for 2008. I was looking at info about the hotel. The room rate for $149 is a large savings for the CWD room block! Thanks for arranging it. Do you happen to know if there are any other benefits to the block? Do we still have to pay the $12 daily parking fee?

13. Billetdeaux

Friends for Life conference

The parking rate is a set fee. However, please consider NOT having a car on site. If you are driving to the conference, there really isn't a way around the parking fee. However, if you are flying, I would suggest taking the Mears shuttle to the hotel, and then simply taking a taxi or shuttle to other parks you might want to visit. The conference is all right on site, and the Saturday at Universal Studio will have transportation provided by shuttle. So, really no need for a car (unless you are doing extensive sight-seeing in your own).

The advantage to being on site at the hotel really boils down to being 'part of the group the whole time' vs 'joining the group each morning.' Every year, there are a handful of families who stay offsite - some have timeshares, some have relatives in the area, some live nearby, some choose to stay in less expensive hotels. Each year, I receive feedback that says, "I wish we had stayed with everyone else on site." That said, we do not require that you stay on site. So, stay wherever it works best for you and allows you to be part of this wonderful gathering of families!

14. decota'smom

decota'smom Approved members

conf ?

We live in West Virginia does any one know if there is any conferences close by and how do you start receving info on these events please let me know

15. Armyemily

Armyemily Approved members

I am trying to raise enough money to go to the Focus on Pumping in Seattle. I will be the only one going in my family.

16. alismom

alismom Approved members

We are newly diagnosed and considering the July conference. We know that there will be plenty to occupy parents and D children, but we have a 10 year old daughter also. She is a little old for the "child care" and we were wondering if she would come with us to sessions or do they have other options for children this age?

17. selketine

The non-diabetic children participate in the same groups as the kids with diabetes so your 10 year old would be with the other 10 year olds. Those with D wear a different color wristband than those without. In other words they are able to recognize those with diabetes in case of a medical issue, etc. The children's program is available for kids through high school I think.

My older son isn't diabetic and has always enjoyed the kids program. He has never wanted to stay with us for a session!

18. Billetdeaux

Friends for Life Schedule is online

For those of you interested in the Friends for Life schedule, both the adult and kids' sessions are now posted.
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2008/ParentsSchedule.htm
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2008/YouthSchedule.htm

As Carol mentioned, the kids are all together in their age groups. The only time kids with type 1 are in a different room from siblings is during the one discussion group just for this purpose. Otherwise, they are all together.
    This year in childcare, we have a K room (just for 5 year olds) and a Pre-K group (just for 4 year olds)... and then a 'younger' room for 3 and under.

If you have any specific program questions, ask away!

19. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Laura, it all looks great. My husband was not sure if he wanted to go back again this year, he thought that it would be the same speakers on the same subjects as last year. I can see that their are new topics and sessions. Good job, he will be interested to see this schedule!

20. Billetdeaux

Thanks! You are correct - lots of new speakers and new topics... and still some of the tried-n-true topics, as about half of the participants are first-timers.
    We have quite a bit of research this year - in fact two rooms devoted to scientific presentations!
    On Weds, July 23, we'll also have a choice of 40+ focus groups. Working on that schedule now...