- advertisement -

CWD Conferences and Events

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zimbie45, Dec 5, 2006.

1. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

If you are a family say 2 adults and 3/4 kids you will request to have connecting rooms - I have never had this request denied. They will tell you it is a request but usually it shows up in the comments as guaranteed connecting room for families. Just checked my ressie...OPPPS it is not listed I'll have to call tomorrow and have that fixed.

Just remember to request it and you want CONNECTING rooms not just ADJOINING rooms. Adjoining rooms can be next to each other without the door in the middle.

ETA: Just spoke with Group sales and they stated that they do guarantee connecting rooms for families it for some reason is not printed on the reservation confirmation you recieve. I would double check when you make your ressies though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  2. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Wow, I did not realize that they had connecting rooms with the doors inbetween. That would make a huge difference for us since we could leave the doors open so we had easy acsess, or didn't have to pay for 2 rooms, and then cramp into one. Hopefully we will be able to attend the 2008 one!!!! I am trying to make plans, anyhow.

3. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

What and where are these events. And how do I find out about events in my area and other areas?

4. MrsBadshoe

Main page of childrend with diabetes has the info but here is a link just in case.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/index_cwd.htm

5. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The Education for CWD Foundation (www.ecwdf.org) offers scholarships to families to attend the summer Friends for Life conference. Last year, they were able to bring 13 families.

Applications for scholarships for the 2007 conference will be online on their web site sometime this week.

6. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

Jeff

I have been going onto the web sight looking for the scholarships info, but it keeps saying "none at this time" when could we expect to see the scholarships availible?

7. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

There will be information up this week ... hopefully today or tomorrow.

8. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

I read the link you provided and I saw where it said 151 a night or something like that. What other cost are there? Besides food and gas and stuff.

9. MrsBadshoe

The cost of $141 plus tax is for a hotel room at CSR the hotel

There is a link at the bottom of the page that you can follow and get registration info. Here is a cut and paste version.

Registration for all participants includes:
    •Tuesday volunteer reception (if you’re a volunteer)
    •Wednesday’s First Timer Reception for all first time families
    •Wednesday Focus Groups (preregistration required)
    •Reception in Exhibit Hall on Wednesday evening
    •Buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, and morning and afternoon snack breaks on Thursday and Friday
    •Child care for children 5 and under (see Childcare Registration Form for details)
    •Conference t-shirt or tank top, 1 per person in your family
    •Conference materials (program guide, session hand outs)
    •Teen and Tweener social events, including Teen Dinner Dance, Tweener Night, Teen Day at Disney-MGM Studios, and other on-site social events
    •On Saturday, families typically visit a Disney theme park. Theme park tickets are not included in the price of the conference and must be purchased on your own.

Prices Registration
    •Early Registration is $275 per family through January 31, 2007)
    •Regular Registration is $300 per family from February 1 through June 30, 2007
    On Site Registration is $400 per family after June 30, 2007. Registrations will not be accepted between July 1-11; you must register on site.
    •Individual Professional Registration or Single Person is $150 (CEUs are not offered)
    •Family Registration includes 2 adults and their accompanying children (up to 4) under age 18. Additional adults are $75 per person and must be in the family (up to 2 additional adults per family, i.e. grandparents). Additional children are $50 per child.
    •In case of cancellation prior to June 11, a full refund minus a $50 processing fee will be provided. After June 11, 2007, no refunds will be offered.

Additional Optional Fees
    Family and Friends Banquet on Thurs Adult $30 Child (3-11)$15 Under 3 free
    ECWDF Benefit: Magical Memories Breakfast $25, under 3 free

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

What do you do with kids who are too old to go to daycare, but not old enough to test and monitor themselves? Can they still participate in the activities, does an adult need to stay with them?

11. MrsBadshoe

Here is the info I got via Laura the other day.

The age groups are 5 and under childcare, 6-9 elementary, 10-12 tweener, and 13-17 teen. These are strict age ranges. If you are one day short of turning 10, you are in the elementary group (which is a good place to be because all the other 9-almost-10-year-olds are there, too). Our insurance dictates this

Here is a link to the page that talks about specific activities in each age group.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/Orlando2007/YouthSchedule.htm

12. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

It has suddenly become possible for us to attend. Can anyone tell me whether the childcare program is full?

Kirsten

13. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

14. MrsBadshoe

Trying to plan meals for while at the conference here is what I have.

Wednesday for Focus groups...No Meals provided..
    Thursday Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner(tickets) covered
    Friday Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (only for Teens)
    Saturday Breakfast(tickets)
    Sunday Breakfast

Did I get anything wrong?

15. selketine

selketine Approved members

MrsB - that's what I have noted in my plans too.

The Weds reception has a lot of food - it seemed to me that some people used it as "dinner" although I'm not sure that was the intention. If you have a big lunch and something light before or after you probably wouldn't feel like having a sit down big meal that Weds.

16. MrsBadshoe

So, the First Timers Reception has food? Is that what you are refering too?

17. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

So only teens get Dinner on Friday?

Wait that could work... we ditch the teens at dinner...

Do they have a bar?

Oh wait we would still have the pre-teens.

Darn.

18. selketine

selketine Approved members

Ah...forgot about the 1st timer's reception - so there are actually TWO receptions you can go to - that one and the grand reception which is at 6:00 p.m. Considering the Grand reception starts at 6:00 which is our usual dinner time - that ended up being dinner for us last time just by the timing of it frankly (not like I was trying to get a free meal - but I still have trouble working in something like a reception + dinner with William - he eats enough carbs at the reception!).

I should have said that I have no idea about the "teen" dinner on Friday night - I didn't pay attention to that as my kids are too young.

19. MrsBadshoe

Thanks found it...6-8pm on wednesday.

20. cbanks

cbanks Approved members

I had looked into a few for this year and I cannot find anything that isn't sold out, so if anyone knows of any in canada please reply to me.
    Thanks~