- advertisement -

CWD Conferences and Events

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zimbie45, Dec 5, 2006.

1. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

1. First, off don't pose this question on any Disney related message board you could get crucified....LOL.

2. One Disney room sizes are 4 plus a child under 3. My unofficial advice would be claim a child under 3. What this would mean that you couldn't officially have the dining plan for each member of your party...but the conference has quite a few meals to attend this wouldn't be an issue I think. You would have to purchase the Kyle's park ticket if you chose to go to the parks at guest services at the parks rather then add it to your room key. As children under 3 don't need a park ticket. Aero beds fit nicely in these rooms between the door and the first bed. We need 2 rooms with 6 of us but everyone wants there own beds so we have done this before.

3. Port Orleans Riverside does have some rooms with trundle beds. About $175 plus tax night. The issue here would be getting from POR to CSR. It is very difficult to travel from resort to resort at WDW. Although a Taxi is a reasonable option.

4. There are also family suites now available at the All Star Music. They sleep 6 plus a child under 3. My guess is the cost would be about $219 plus tax a night.

4. If you have any other specific questions I'd love to help you kcdunlap@badshoe.com

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I know that another WDW hotel - Port Orlreans Riverside - has rooms that work for 5 people because there is a trundle bed. The bed is big enough for a youngish child and you can have 5 in those rooms. I don't think the CSR hotel has rooms with trundles but you could call and ask.

If any of your children are under the age of 2 I think they don't count towards the "4 people" limit - in otherwords you can have 2 double beds and a crib.

There are also rooms at Pop Century (another WDW hotel) that are small family suites with a separate bedroom and a small kitchen.

Of course if you stayed at one of the other WDW hotels you'd have to drive over in the mornings so I realize that is less convenient.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

If you don't mind renting a car, the Doubletree Suites Resort on Hotel Blvd. (right near the Market Place and about a 10 min. drive to all parks) is an all suite hotel. If you go on the website www.allears.net, they offer a special rate through that website. http://www.allears.net/acc/faq_dtree.htm
    Rates run around $159.00 including buffett breakfast for 2 adults/2 kids.
    We just stayed there and it's great because it is 2 rooms and has a fridge at no extra charge. You won't receive the perks of being on property, but it was a a really nice hotel.
    I don't know what the rates are for the convention, but this might be worth looking into.

4. MrsBadshoe

If you are looking for offsite there is a great place that has fantastic rates at www.hotelkingdom.com The resort is called Cypress Pointe Grand Villas. It is approximately 1mile from DTD (Downtown Disney). If you book through Hotelkingdom you can get a 2 bdrm Villa for $99.12 per night during the July dates.

I have recommended it many times and everyone has loved it.

5. selketine

I'd say if you can't manage to fit into a room at the conference hotel I'm not sure there is any benefit to staying onsite for the conference. If you plan to continue your holiday at WDW then perhaps stay off-site for the conference and then move back to a disney hotel (that takes 5 people) - if you are interested in being onsite.

6. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Who do I contact?

If I have a question about a conference is there a person I can contact?

We are contemplating the LaJolla pumping conference.

Thanks.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

8. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

While there are definate advantages to staying in the conference hotel, if you can't afford to stay there, I would recommend you investigate renting a house or condo. My family attended last year's conference and we also combined it with a tradeshow that my son was exhibiting at, so we rented a 5 bedroom house, with pool, for less than the hotel would have cost - even if we could have managed to fit into only 2 rooms. We had separate rooms for me, my son, my daughter and her husband, and the grandchildren. It was also great having room for the kids to run around, a kitchen, a laundry room and a private pool right there.

9. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

CA Grandma, Thanks so much for the tip. I had never thought about that. We have avoided places that can't accomidate the 6 of us in one room because our kids are 12,10,8, and 6. I am not comfortable leaving any of them in their own room, and it wouldn't be much fun to spend a vacation in a seperate room then DH. In all of the hotels we have stayed in since our family grew so big we have found mini appartments. I will definately check into condo's. I have also heard about a website that allows families to trade homes for vacations, but I live in Idaho, so I doubt there is much of a demand, lol.

10. MrsBadshoe

Cypress Pointe that I listed above also has 3 bdrm villas. If you book through www.hotelkingdom.com you get a price of $141.60 per night. It is very close to WDW.

11. Billetdeaux

Billetdeaux CWD Education/Programs

staying on site at the Coronado

Hi Everyone -
    As CWD's conference coordinator, I would like to address the discussion of staying off site or staying at another Disney property.

It hurts CWD when you choose to do this. Let me tell you why.

When CWD signs a contract with Disney (or with any hotel for that matter) to hold a conference, the agreement is that CWD utilizes a certain amount of room space and hotel services, and in return, CWD is not charged (or minimally charged) for the meeting space that we use all weekend. At Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, we utilize about 150,000 sq feet of meeting space, accommodating 2,500 conference participants. Disney does not charge us for this space because the majority of our families stay on site.

If our families choose to stay elsewhere and we do not fill the room block, then we will be charged for meeting space - tens of thousands of dollars. The only way that this money could be regained would be in charging much more in registration next year - perhaps as much as $1000 per family. We simply can't afford to do that - and no one could afford to come at those prices. So, quite frankly, CWD would not be able to hold conferences - or alternatively, we would make it mandatory for people to stay at the conference hotel. We currently do not do that (many conferences do) because we realize that some people live nearby and others have large families that can't fit in one room, etc.

Please recognize the fine line that CWD walks here. It is very, very important to the health of the conference that our families stay on site. We have been very lucky in the past in that over 95% of the families attending all of our conferences have understood this and stayed at the conference venue.

On another note, let me remind everyone that in order to reserve a room within the CWD room block, you do need to phone the Disney Conventions Reservation line, which is 407-939-1020. Making a reservation any other way will get you a room, but it will not be in the block and will not count towards our room commitment. Also, we will not be able to 'see' you for things like the nighttime door drops, etc.

I hope this makes some sense, and I hope you will seriously consider staying with us on site. If you have questions, please feel free to email me any time: Laura.Billetdeaux@childrenwithdiabetes.com

Thanks, and have a wonderful New Year!:cwds:

12. selketine

Laura,

Does it still count towards the CWD room fulfillment if conference attendees stay at another WDW hotel?

13. Billetdeaux

Billetdeaux CWD Education/Programs

room block at Disney

The formal answer to that is no. The contract is for Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, and that is where all of our conference meetings, social events, and Sports Central events take place from Tuesday through Sunday, where we purchase our conference meals, etc... so the sleeping rooms are for that particular venue.

That said, in the past when I have known of a handful of families staying in other resorts (for example, those who have large families and would need 2-3 Coronado rooms in order to fit everyone), I have explained the situation and asked our Conventions manager to look specifically for those families, confirm the reservations at the other properties, and count them as room nights. They did work with me on that, so CWD did 'get credit' for the rooms. That was just a few people and Disney worked with me; they do try to be fair. On a larger scale, i.e., if everyone just stayed where they wanted to, that would not be the case. Note also that if you stay elsewhere, you are not in the CWD room block in the sense that we cannot get you the Coronado perks that others staying on site will have (for example, the doorknob bags).

I do understand that it is difficult to fit a large family into a regular hotel room, and that is a challenge I face with all of our conferences. It's why we have never required that people stay at the conference venue. We do ask that you consider the reasons, though, and try your very best to stay with us.

Thanks for asking.

L.

14. Momof4gr8kids

Thanks for the tip, Mrsbadshoe. I should have known you'd know all of the ins and outs of disney ;)

15. selketine

Thanks Laura....I figured that was the case.

We plan to stay at the conference hotel (which is a beautiful resort - really awesome Disney theming at its best I think) for the conference period and move to another hotel after the conference ends perhaps.

16. MrsBadshoe

Just wanted to note that while I have given the information to others that financially stated they were unable to book the proper amount of hotel rooms at CSR and be able to attend the convention. I personally have rooms reserved for my family of 6 at CSR for my family during the convention.

Also, while it technically isn't legal to put 5 person in a room at CSR unless the child is under 3; from a size perspective it is do able. You could borrow an aero bed and they fit nicely between the door and the closest bed and they blow up and deflate rather quickly.

17. momof3princesses

momof3princesses Approved members

What do you suggest for a family of 5? I'd love to stay at CS resort but they only allow 4 to a room. We don't have a "large" family per se - there are 5 of us - kids are 12,11 and 4. We can't afford to get two rooms and Disney doesn't allow us all in one room. We'd LOVE to attend (our dd is newly diagnosed) and planned to stay at Port Orleans since they allow 5 - but didn't know this caused a problem. Suggestions?

BTW - we stayed at Cypress Pointe last year and LOVED it! (not for a conference - just vacation!)

18. selketine

I'm not sure if Laura can work one of the special deals to have your room at POR count towards the CWD conference.

Otherwise you could try the suggestion of the aero type bed in your room for the conference period and then if you plan to continue your vacation either move to another WDW hotel with a new reservation or move off-site.

With a new ressie at a WDW hotel you can add a package with tickets and dining if you wish. But if you are not comfortable or find it unworkable to stay at CSR perhaps talk to Laura B. directly.

19. Threebeans

Threebeans Approved members

We have stayed at most of the resorts at WDW. Once with a group of 5. The Port Orleans Resort had double beds with a pull out bed under one of them for the extra sleeping space needed. I don't know if this helps, or if CSR has the same sort of thing. When we discussed our problem with WDW reservations, they told us that they had just started installing a few of these beds.

Hope this helps.

David Bean

20. Momof4gr8kids

If you do get two rooms can you have them next to each other, or is it something that you might, or might not get?