- advertisement -

CWD Conferences and Events

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zimbie45, Dec 5, 2006.

1. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Hi
    I have a question....

Is anyone planning on going to any of the CWD Conferences and Events this year???

2. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My family is going to the friends for life in disney next july....

shannon

3. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The January 2007 Marco Island Focus on Best Practices conference is sold out.

The La Jolla Focus on Pumping conference is likely to sell out -- our last two like this did. If you're interested in coming, I would recommend registering early rather than late.

We had registrations for the summer Friends for Life conference within weeks of the end of 2006 Friends for Life conference. We're expected well over 2,000 people. (The last Disney event, in 2005, had over 2,200 people.)

The conferences are an amazing experience. If you can make it, I highly recommend them.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  4. CarrieP

CarrieP Approved members

We will be at the Disney FFL conference this July...Wouldn't miss it!!! We have been the last 2 years and it has become our primary source of support and training!!! The information that you walk away with is phenomenal, along with lots of free stuff from the vendors!!!! The people make the conference though!!! Everyone there has the same mindset of lets tame this beast as best we can while we actively pursue the cure!!! *smile*

Well...there's my plug!!! *grins*...Hope to see you there!!

Carrie P

5. coni

coni Approved members

We went to the Friends for Life conference last summer. The kids raved about the trip (I enjoyed myself too!) and wanted to do it again. We are already making plans to attend this summer.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

We are planning on going to the FFL conference at WDW in July 2007.

The pumping conferences are well worth it too. There is also a CWD technology conference coming to the Washington DC area in 2008 (I live very close to the conference hotel it is coming to) so I'm looking forward to that.

7. MyrandaDawn

MyrandaDawn Approved members

We were planning on going to the Disney FFL Conference.

8. Rhonda

Rhonda Approved members

We are planning on attending the friends for life comference in disney this year it will be our first one but definately not our last.

9. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

We are thinking about going, Not quite sure yet on what my hubbys vacation time will look like by then since he started a new job... We really want to go... But im not brave enough to do it on my own with 2 kids... ( WDW, 1 parent, and 2 young kids... lol )

10. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We want to go to the Friends for Life conference but doubt that we can swing it financially. We were living pay check to pay check pre D and now there is nothing left over for extras :( My sister offered to try to raise funds for us to go but where we live it is highly unlikely that we would be able to raise enough.

I sooo wish we lived close to one of the CWD events!

11. bethdou

bethdou Approved members

Hey Chandra,
    I've been off the site for a while and just saw this - we are registered for the La Jolla conference in April. If you guys go to that one, the kids will have an automatic pal there!
    :)

I can't convince Brent that Florida in July is something he wants to do. He's convinced he will be carried away by the giant mosquitos and fed to an alligator in the swamp. :rolleyes:

12. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

...and he will:rolleyes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are due to go to Switzerland to visit my folks this summer (especially my 93 year old grandma) but I DREAD the big trip with the girls and managing Mia's D with the time difference, the (sure to get) sickness and possibly having to do it all alone because hubby has little vacation time....I am reconsidering going to the FFL conference in Disney...sounds much more relaxing and is within 3 1/2 hours drive....

I'll let you know!

13. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

I wish some of these conferences were closer to us. I'd love to go to them all, but getting to either coast is a big trip when you live in the middle of the country!

I agree about Florida in July... Yikes!! We were at WDW last June and it was pretty miserable. We wont be traveling back to Florida in the summer heat until Emma's a little older, and then it will only be for the conference. Let's just say our vacation was less than "magical", of course having a 1 year-old on an insulin pump has a tendency to complicate things! ;)

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would love to do a FFL confrence, but convincing my husband to go to FL in July is a tall order! Hey, we're from NH, we don't like heat:D (of course, I don't like cold either!) I worked at Disney in the summer months, and I vowed that it would take something really big to get me back in that heat...I guess this is it!
    I think we will go when Abby is a bit older, so she and her sister can both get the most out of it.
    I hope to get to one of the tech confrences, maybe the one in '08 Carol was mentioning.

15. hartpukas

hartpukas Approved members

Great experience

I went to the last conference with my daughter (then 22 months) and my infant son, it was tough w/out my husband so I brought a friend to help me out. However this year I am anticipating getting the kids into the daycare program - it looked really great, but I better regester soon to make the cut :eek:

The conference was so amazing and I am really looking forward to this one! I met so many great families from all over and heard some really great stories. Not to mention, I felt so at home - even at the hotel, I would look down and see a used test strip on the floor, it was classic. As for summer in Florida, yeah it gets hot but air conditioning is everywhere!!! Granted, I am bias and w/out humidity I feel lifeless. ;)

16. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

We might but...

We were thinking about going to the La Jolla one. I held back registering since Adin is still so little and I am not sure how much we can get out of it while trying to contain our little monkey. If he was a little older and could interact with other kids it would be a no brainer.

17. selketine

selketine Approved members

It is harder to do the regional conferences since they don't have daycare for the little ones. I was able to do a pumping conference while William was still 2 yrs old because my husband pretty much did all the care while I did the sessions. Plus it was not far from our home.

The FFL conference is great! It is very interesting to see all the kids around the pool in the evening - you see lots of kids with pumps and kids testing, etc.

And isn't Disneyworld the most magical place on earth - even if it *is* 100+ degrees outside???:D ;) The key is to do your touring (if you stay on to see the parks) in the early morning (I mean - EARLY - like park opening) and spend the afternoon in the pool - then back to the parks for dinner and fireworks and shopping and a ride or two. Staying out of the afternoon heat is the key.

18. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Our gang is going to the conferance at WDW in July...can't wait....

19. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Couple quick follow up notes:

1. We do offer child care now at regional conferences, so if you have little ones, bring 'em.

2. For families who would like to come to Friends for Life but are unable to afford it, the Education for Children with Diabetes Foundation (www.ecwdf.org) offers family scholarships that pay for almost everything. Last year, they were able to fund 13 families. Scholarship application information will be online shortly after the first of the year.

20. Kyle's Mom

Kyle's Mom Approved members

My family and I would love to go to the conference at WDW. I have a question for those of you with families of 5 or more. The rooms at the hotel are for 4 guests. I really can't afford to reserve two separate rooms. Any suggestions?