- advertisement -

Cutting the Cord

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mo1, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

We are approved, and the PDM is here. But have to wait another month for our first shipment of Pods. We just received pump supplies in January. Was planning to use it during Spring Break anyway. We are getting ready for the summer, and thought this would be a great way to do it. We will be white water rafting in Glacier this summer and didn't want our T-Sim to end up on the bottom of a river!
    Any thoughts or advice on the pods/PDM. I've read through quite a few posts going back awhile but wondered about more recent experiences.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We cut-the-cord for the summer two years ago when the smaller pods released. We went through a period of awful screaming pods, but now it's pretty rare that we have one scream. My daughter only wore the pod for the summer initially, and overall had preferred the Medtronic, but we recently had several nights where her Medtronic tubing completely separated at the junction. She felt dreadful enough that she's been wearing the pod for about the last month.

She now has a loft bed, and using the PDM is so much simpler than climbing a ladder and trying to find where the pump is lurking in the bedding with the tubed pump.

My daughter likes having the ability to switch between the two a lot. She takes her anger/frustration with the bad pump days out by switching to the other brand for a while. :) She wouldn't want to give up her pod, but neither would she choose it as her only pump because of the hassles we've had. She spent 50 minutes on the phone with customer service this morning after catching it making a math error that reduced her dose by 1.2 units. From now on, we'll be doing a current dose and then an extended dose as separate doses rather than combining them.

Our first PDM wiped out the pod with battery changes. It made me mad, and I didn't know enough to realize that wasn't normal. We haven't had it happen once since they replaced the PDM.

The pod is really, really nice for the summer months freedom. Not having to think about replacing basal during swimming, kayaking, and the like. Whatever I can do to maintain her positive outlook on life and keep diabetes mostly in the background, I want to make happen for her.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Can you shed some light on the nature of the error your DD experienced?

4. MomofSweetOne

We've been dosing for fat/protein the way Joa has mentioned. She doesn't like to wait for the carb amount to finish dosing before setting an extended bolus for the fat/protein, so sometimes she adds them together. Yesterday morning, the recommended carb/correction amount was for 4.2 units. She scrolled it up to 10.9, as the recommended fat/protein dose (per our calculator) was 6.7 units. She then told it to give 4.2 units now and extend the rest over 8 hours. It said it would extend 5.8 units for 8 hours rather than 6.7. I thought initially that it was maybe a max bolus of 10?, but she said it's set for 15. She tried it 3 times (backing out and starting over), and every time, the PDM ate that extra 0.9 unit (oops, I said 1.2 unit on my original post). She finally dosed with two separate doses and said she was exactly at target at lunchtime.

I think I saw the same thing happen for me earlier in the week, but I just assumed I'd made a mistake. I haven't doubled checked the amount extended each time, assuming it was correct.

The sad thing is that is waiting to dose the fat/protein after the carb bolus is done exponentially increases the odds that my teen will forget to do so, and we really see the difference it makes in her BGs.

The bright spot of this, though, is that she decided to call customer service on her own. I think she was regretting that decision by the 40 minute mark, but it was a valuable learning experience for her. She put the hold line on speaker phone as she went on getting ready to leave for work. When the person asked about calling back later, my phone number was given. :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  5. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but would you mind pointing me to what you're talking about...dosing for fat/protein? Do you do this only for high fat/ high protein meals or for every meal? Would this be a way to deal with, say, pizza? We are really struggling there! :)

6. MomofSweetOne

Here's the discussion that prompted me to look into it.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?75969-Fat-highs&highlight=fat%2Fprotein

We do it for most meals at home. Eating out is harder without the scale, so we guess at a temp basal based on experience on those occasions. We find it really does make a difference. Without it, my daughter goes to the 200s and stays there. Today she has a straight line in the 80s going. It is an added hassle, though, and I'm toying with the idea of trying to increase her basals to eliminate the work based on an average. My husband wrote a program for the graphing calculator that makes it just inputting the data from the scale or nutrition label for us.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  7. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

Thank you!

8. dshull

dshull Approved members

We did cut the cord last summer. Our primary pump is the ping. We got it for the same reason that you did, our son spends a lot of time in the water in the summer, and it is a lot easier not having to disconnect and reconnect. There were also things I really liked about the PDM, like being able to set temps from it (which you can't with the ping remote), etc. That being said, it was a rocky start and I would not want to use it 24/7. You really have to figure out where the pods work on your kid, and for our super skinny one, the only place was his arms. We did not have too many problems with failing pods, but we did with the cannula popping out and the adhesive staying stuck on. We'd really have to look in the window with a flashlight and that little bugger would be sticking out. We'd only be clued in because his numbers would be sky high. It was extremely aggravating because in a year on the Ping, we had one occlusion and that was it. It became so frustrating that we went back to the Ping and I thought we were done. But then at the end of the summer we were going to Florida and we went back to the Omnipod and had a much better experience. We are going on a beach vacation next week and plan to use the Omnipod.

For us, we just had to find the best place on his body so the cannula wouldn’t fall out. It is nice to not have to disconnect. Again overall I would not want it to be my primary pump. I have not found the customer service to be so great. They had a recall on their test strips and we were never notified and were treating lows that didn't exist. But it is nice to have for water activities for sure.

Good luck with it!!

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep, we use it for waterpark days. There are many reasons I wouldn't want it for our primary pump, but it works great when he would otherwise have to be disconnected for long periods of time.

10. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

Thanks for the info. I feel like I have just gotten used to her T Slim and can trouble shoot different variables. This gives me an idea of what I can keep an eye out for.