- advertisement -

Cuts and Healing time

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Jun 27, 2012.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Daniel hasn't experienced any major "hurts" until yesterday where he took a good chunk of skin of his big toe scraping it on the prickly stucco walkway we have in our building. So he screamed bloody murder, but I washed it, put neosporin, wrapped with gauze and gave him ibuprofen...So today I changed the bandaid, washed again, more neo...anyway, just wondering....I know I read that diabetics take longer to heal. Has this been your case with your kids? Just want to make sure what I need to look for.

2. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Nope...my son heals just fine!:)

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No. You're thinking of uncontrolled diabetics. Type 1 kids with reasonably managed D do not take longer to heal.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

No, Danielle heals exactly the same way she did before dx.

Also, don't let any goofball tell you not to let your child go barefoot outside because of their diabetes. It is just uneducated nonsense.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Really, the only time they heal slower is when they have poor circulation due to damage to blood vessels from uncontrolled diabetes.

6. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Okay thank you.. I feel much better...I never stop my kids from going barefoot(I myself hate it LOL)..Daniel was on his way down to help with groceries, one flip flop on and one foot without(duh)...course he got hurt on the bare foot. Has declared its all because he was asked to help:D. So no more getting groceries for him:p(yeah right!)

7. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Thanks for this thread. I was wondering this myself, as DD got a very nasty scrape on her shin over 45 days ago. The scrape/cut is healed, however, it left a purple-brownish spot on her shin that resembles a bruise. It doesn't brother her, however, I am thinking that it should be looked at by the doctor at her next appointment. Paper cuts, and other minor cuts seem to heal normally, but don't know why this particular injury left its mark???

8. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

It just sounds like scarring from a deeper injury to me, and not something D-related.

My daughter tends to heal slower, but that's because of her autoimmune blood disease that affects the platelets and not because of D :)

9. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Good thing! I can't keep shoes on my 3 year old!

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

lol, I take forever to heal... but that has nothing to do with diabetes and all to do with the fact that I'm a clutz and end up reopening all my cuts over and over again by accident:eek:

11. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

There is a skin condition associated with diabetes called necrobiosis lipoidica. It most commonly occurs on the shins and isn't related to the level of diabetes control. It sometimes appears after minor trauma, but the cause is unknown. Ask her endo to take a look at it - the condition is not serious.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  12. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

You really need one (or more) of 3 things for it to be a problem... circulatory problems (which people often develop when they get older, even unrelated to D), peripheral neuropathy (you may not notice an injury until it becomes infected), and poor control (higher BG's encourage germs to grow).

I have no neuropathy and no circulatory problems and I'm in pretty good control. My injuries take no longer to heal than anyone else in the family (in fact, of everyone, my DD seems to be the most prone to developing a secondary infection or just taking forever to heal, and she doesn't have D).

13. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Thanks. We will talk to her endo about this.