- advertisement -

Cut it close yesterday!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by McKenna'smom, Aug 18, 2010.

1. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We have only been pumping a month so I am still perfecting the correct amount of insulin to last 3 days as McKenna's insulin needs are changing because of school. Anyway, we changed McKenna's inset and insulin on Saturday so I was prepared to change it out on Tuesday afternoon before dinner.

Well, yesterday McKenna comes home from school and says, "Mom, I only have 1 unit left in my pump." :eek:

Well, we did a quick change because we had to get to tutoring, but that was a little too close for comfort. I added more insulin this time! ;)

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

You know that you can change the site without having to change the insulin, so you can put extra in the cartridge and then just change the site when you need and keep using the same cartridge until you get close to empty. then, you can change the cartridge without changing the site.

I rarely change both at the same time

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

well things like these happen, its a good thing you caught it while you were still home!!
    One time I asked Sam how much insulin he had left and he says I don't know, its just showing dashes--he was all out, completely ignored the low reservoir warning

4. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

David's tdd is about 14 units on average but when I fill a reservior I fill about 80 units. I usually end up priming the tubing everyday due to bubbles and lose insulin so this gives us an extra cushion.

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Oh, I realize this and maybe during the cooler months we can try this. Right now, it's just so hot and McKenna is outside for recess that I would rather just change the insulin out every 3 days rather than risk it going bad.

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Wendy: In the summer, we have to change the cartridge and tubing more frequently than the other three seasons too!