- advertisement -

Current favorite candy for lows?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Oct 13, 2013.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ds has informed me he's sick of skittles, in fact he HATES them now. He has plenty of glucose tabs (he's living the dorm life), space is a premium so I had a big jar of skittles he can reach from his bedside.

He wants to try juice but that's a bit harder for storage.

What's your CWD current favorite treatment for lows, I need ideas.

2. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We're using Smarties.

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

we don't really do candy, don't want to add teeth problems on top of D lol. What about keeping iced tea boxes near the bed. Iced tea brings my daughter up FAST, faster than juice. Ssips are cheap and they taste good even when not refridgerated. But, if he's sick of skittles (which I don't blame him, they personally give me a stomach ache) why not starburst?

4. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

It all depends, in my dorm I sometimes have zours, sour patch kids, or fruit snacks. I do also have a mini fridge and keep sodas and juices in there. I also stock up on fruit from the dining hall, mainly bananas because they seem to work well with lows. Is he out of space in his dorm room?

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Our current favorite is brachs candy corn or candy pumpkins.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

He'll probably find lots of fat free candy now in the stores - or better, have him wait till Nov 1 and then go shopping. ;)

7. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Smarties, which are called Rockets in Canada. The only problem we have is with her friends wanting to eat them all so we need to have lots on hand. They are so inexpensive (watch for the post-Halloween sales for even lower prices). They are made of dextrose and we find they work quickly to bring up BG as Dex tabs do. 7 carbs a roll here. DD likes to have both Dex tabs and Rockets on hand as she tends to get sick of either, especially after she has to treat a "bad low" with a ton of them.

8. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I stock up on pre-packaged candy for lows post valentines and post halloween. Smarties, starburst, fruit snacks, sometimes suckers or hard candy for numbers in the 60s and 70s.

9. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Starbursts... they're the indestructible carb! I can have them rolling around in my purse for ever and they're still edible (not too tasty but in a pinch I can use them) and they're not to hard to store=)

I'm living the dorm life right now too=) those stupid high beds have made for some interesting quests for low food.... ;-)

10. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

We do Pez,9 carbs per roll she perfect for Sophie

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mine doesn't like skittles. She says you have to eat too many of them. Lately it's been gatoraide. I get the small bottles. She got sick of apple juice. She also wanted to try rice crispy treats. We got some but I don't know if she's used them yet.

We also stock up on Halloween candy sales around now.

12. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

My son uses Starburst FaveReds (strawberry, watermelon, fruit punch, and cherry flavors). Each candy is 4 grams of carbs.

Christine

13. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I HATE skittles too. For a few years they were all I would use for lows and now I can't even look at them. I used starbursts for the first two years of college but now I am sick of those as well.

My favorite right now is Welch's fruit snacks. I don't know if you have a Costco near you but you can get a case of 80 packs for $10 there.

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

YES! He has his bed fully lofted with a futon underneath, so it's up there pretty high. We shoved the desk and hutch next to it so there is a shelf within reach though. So it's not so much an issue of space/storage as wanting to streamline the process and have enough stuff in easy reach. He's got smarties and juice boxes now.

I buy those mixes of skittles and starburst and he does use the starburst, but not so much at night.

15. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We also do the pez refill packs. Hana never wants to see a skittle again. That goes for original and sours.

16. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana does like m&m. I know chocolate isn't the best for lows, but it seems they work fine. Maybe because of the candy shell? :)

17. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

We actually have used those tiny boxes of raisins, after our CDE told us they have an enzyme in them that prevents them from causing cavities... so they are really good for night time lows :)
    Also fruit leather doesn't take up a lot of space, travels well and is a great carb :) We buy them at costco

18. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

19. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

Smarties! But honestly we use dex tabs for on the run and milk and dex tabs at home and school. Never liked the idea of using candy cause at dx she was so young and didn't want the mindset that candy was uncovered. I get the big bottle of tabs a cvs and refill the tubes. There are tubes EVERYWHERE around here. Purse, car, backpack, cheer bag, bed room, D-bag... I also keep tubes of gel in those areas too for an emergency. Never needed those, thank God!

20. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We used starbursts for a long time. About 2 months ago they stopped working. She'd eat 4 starbursts and only rise 5pts or less in a 20 min period.