- advertisement -

Curious- Has anyone switched back to MDI from the pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I was terrified of making changes on the pump, until I forced myself to try. Everyone reaches their own comfort level in their own time. But if your endo isn't helping & you don't like the numbers, you really don't have a choice. Just remember that small changes can make a big difference.

There are some members here who are great at suggesting changes based on numbers & settings. You might try posting the info & asking for help. :)

2. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Thank you. I finally got a response from the endo to tweak the I:C and ISF. She probably got sick of me sending her multiple emails today.

I definitely will try filling the cartridge and leaving it out to get to room temp.

In the beginning I actually did set up a different profile for the sites in her leg vs the butt. But because her basals kept changing, I forgot to change the other profile to keep up with the changes but I'm sure with some basal testing I can try it out again.

3. mamateach

mamateach Approved members

Sticking

That's sweet that she is so careful. My Lily is a brute. I think she has had the pump so long, she doesn't even think of it. It hits the floor, she rolls around on it. She goes swimming in it.

I hope that answers some of your questions. Please don't hesitate to ask more. I'm not saying I have the answers, but I do understand your frustration. I think it is a lot of trial and error and finding what works for you. Unfortunately, with diabetes what works one day may be an epic fail the next day. ;)
    Take care,
    Jessica

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

They actually told you "don't go online because it will make you crazy!!"in relation to type 1 diabetes information ? That sounds almost negligent. Like telling you don?t read any books on type 1.

5. missmakaliasmomma

Yes that's what I was told... & that if I wanted to know something, to ask them. Obviously, bad idea

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

That would be a big, HUGE red flag to me. Time for a new endo team. And believe me, I'm not one to say that lightly - we have to drive 120 miles to see our endo as there are none close by.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

When Molly went on the pump, after around a month we did a lot of "trial and adjustment". We would increase or decrease her basals by .025 increments (a small amount for an 18 year old whose basals went from .45 to .6 during the day) depending on what sort of pattern we were observing. We've ALWAYS had different I:C ratios during the day, even on MDI. Mornings she's always been insulin resistant and afternoons she's insulin sensitive. Someone once suggested that you change just one thing at a time so you can see what affect it has (instead of changing a bunch at the same time). I think that's a good rule of thumb. We sort of looked at it like a science experiment and cautiously tweaked here and there. Hope the insets work better for you and the changes you make are effective! :)

8. Phyllis

Phyllis Approved members

Pump problems

The problems you are experiencing are common but solvable. I agree with other advice to list these and get an appointment with your CDE who teaches pumping. You will be glad you did. Also, the dietitian CDE can give you help with refining insulin to carb ratios which are so important in using the bolus wizard. You can get past this!

9. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

My son has been on the Animas Ping for 2.5 years now. I don't think there has been one site change yet when we HAVEN'T seen air bubbles at cartridge change. We do a pretty good job getting them out when filling it....it just happens. We've had many of the pump problems over the years as has been described in this forum, but not all at once. I feel for OP. But I haven't seen any problems with insulin delivery that I can ascribe to the bubbles at cartridge change. It worried me at first, but no longer.

10. missmakaliasmomma

Yes, we hated them from the beginning, however there was no one else around. As soon as I got word that a new dr had come somewhat close to where we live, I switched her insurance (they didn't take the one she had) and we haven't looked back. We haven't been seeing her dr for very long- not nearly as long as the first endo practice so I'm still on that mode I guess.

11. missmakaliasmomma

I really appreciate all the input. We've used the insets twice so far, I've been changing them every 2 days not 3, her doctor changed her isf and i:c and things have been looking a lot better. I'd like them to look even better but I know it's one change at a time.

12. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

This is great news! About the every 2 days...we started doing that 2 weeks into pumping. It made everything so much better for us! Now after almost 3 years of pumping, I think Molly switches out every 2 1/2 days or so.