- advertisement -

Curious about meal spikes... what do you spike to?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

In reading some posts here, I get the impression that meal spikes for children here are definitely no where as high as what our DD gets to. Our DD can/will spike to above 230 - 300 mg after a meal. Whereas I am getting the impression that the norm is more like 180 and no higher. Obviously, this is disturbing as I worry about the long term consequences of spiking that high. So before I panic and think that we are not managing her D well, please comment whether it's the norm to spike NO more than to 180 after a meal or am I misguided here?

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

DS does spike in that range, at breakfast, especially. Lunch and dinner generally stay below 200 and often below 180. We are working hard to keep spikes below 180, and now that he is using a CGM, we have more data to work with. Changing dosages, timing, and food has led to some success, but right now he is about 260 at 1.5 hours past breakfast:(.

I am also really interested to hear others' responses, because I have the same concerns as you, and I also get the impression that others have better luck at keeping their kids in the <180 range, at least more of the time.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I think the *ideal* is to go no higher than 180. I think part of it depends on the pre-meal number, and how soon the "spike" hit. If my daughter were 80 before eating, then rose 100 points in 2 hours, that might be considered a spike by some. I wouldn't necessarily call it that. For me, a spike is when she hits 300 1.5 hours after a bowl of cereal.

ETA: I know a lot of us - myself included - use terms like "pizza spike" and such, but for us, that's really more of a slow rise that we don't catch in time to stop.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. minniem

minniem Approved members

We usually see spikes greater than 180 (most of the time we are in the 200 range), but our nurse told us it was more related to the choices of food he was eating and that there was no magic number a 2 hour pp check should be.

I am interested to hear what others say too as I have often wondered about this very thing.

5. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I wish she never went over 180! Breakfast, obviously, is the worst. No matter what I do - change ratios, change basal, give an extra half unit, extended bolus, all of the above - she still goes in to the high 200s and have seen 300s. Generally, her morning numbers are good - 80-130 but that makes no difference! I've prebolused, postbolused, split the bolus, nothing makes a difference.

I would say her other numbers tend to be a little better. But I have seen 200s later in the day as well but probably not as high as breakfast. Seems that these spikes come down much faster than the breakfast. And of course, it depends on what she ate. Pasta - huge spike 3 hours later. Red meat - really really big spike 5-6 ours later! We are talking high 300s if I don't catch it in time. Chicken, beans, tofu - much better and no spike.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son often spikes into the 200s. I think a lot of it has to do with food choices, as when he's eating poorly (lots of cereal, fatty foods, candy/cookies...holiday foods!!) it is more distinct and obvious.

When he is sick his spike is ridiculous, he can go from 100s to 300s in a very short time.

Prebolusing helps some. Low glycemic foods help a LOT, IMO. Neither are things that I am able to consistently convince him to choose.

To answer your question, yes, we see it here. But I am with you in that it does concern me.

7. lironey

lironey New Member

Our DD spikes to around 250-300 after a meal sometimes, the higher the carb count her meal has and the higher the glycemic index, the higher her BG will spike. We found that bolusing for those high carb meals about 20 minutes before she eats help control the spikes a little bit, and if we are not sure she would eat the whole thing (happens too often) we bolus for at least part of it.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If my carb count is correct I probably stay below 180 70% of the time if I start at a number below 120. If the spike is quick and returns to a normal level without extra insulin then I'd look at prebolusing to better match digestion. Apidra also helped me reduce the spike.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

normal spikes for Ashleigh (if she gets one) is between 180-200 range. I can count on my hand the number of times she spiked 300+. the one time was after she ate a pop tart. Evil evil things LOL! She spiked to 375 with that.

My nephew has high spikes too. He'll spike to the 400-500 range. but then 2 hours later he'll be back in his target range (without any corrections). I worry about him, but his endo doesn't seem concerned.

10. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

We were seeing very high after meal spikes even with a good pre-bolus. We switched to apidra and now we hardly see a big spike. It's a faster working insulin and has helped us very much. Not saying it will work the same for everyone but for us it's done wonders.

11. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

we also changed to Apidra a little over a month ago..what a difference..love it..we still have some food spikes but nothing like she use to have:D

12. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

We see lots of meal spikes - definitely over 300.

That is not to say we are bad at managing his diabetes...but he's 5 years old. Things change quickly in a small child. He has a preference for carbs....he grazes all day and we are just not able to pre-bolus all the time. Try telling a hungry 5 year old to wait for a half an hour before his insulin kicks in... :)

That said, I am definitely hoping that as he gets older, we will be able to manage those spikes to a better range - say under 200. But realistically, it's not going to happen for us until he's older and not so much of a picky eater. I choose my battles....and food isn't one of them!