- advertisement -

cruises and insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AliciaM, Oct 3, 2013.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I haven't travelled much let alone with D. It's my understanding from the website of the cruise that there is a place that insulin is stored if they don't offer a mini fridge on board the specific cruise ship. Is one cartridge each of basal and bolus enough? And what do you do when you make port? I've heard of people mentioning those frio pouch things...is that a good investment to stick in a purse/bag so hot weather doesn't ruin the insulin?

I am going in december to the bahamas...the fact that I'm even stepping on a cruise ship is a huge step! lol I am VERY afraid of being in the ocean ..dunno how it's gonna be being in the middle of it..i feel like gravol may be my friend the first day in case of motion sickness!

Also anyone with experience with cruises any other tips or suggestions (D and non-D) are GREATLY appreciated. Like I said only travelling I've done has all been in the states and that's mostly been for competitive cheerleading

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

How long is the cruise?

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I've never once in 13 years used a mini fridge for insulin... room temp is just fine. I've traveled a fair amount, and short of dropping a bottle and breaking it (I definitely recommend carrying some backup), never had anything bad happen to my insulin at all.

In fact the only time I've ever gone so far as to put my insulin in a cooler is during long road trips or camping in the summer, and that's while temperatures are 100+ and can get much hotter than that inside the car when we're not driving. When we camp in the winter or if I'm just going on an overnight trip somewhere I don't bother doing anything special, I just keep it with the rest of my toiletries.

4. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I haven't heard of cruises storing insulin. You may want to consider purchasing a FRIO Insulin Cooling Wallet. I kept the active bottle of rapid insulin at room temp, but used the FRIO to keep the back up insulin bottles & pens cool. It worked great for 3 weeks of overseas traveling on planes, trains, cruises and automobiles! :cwds:

5. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Whenever we travel we bring 2-3x the insulin we would usually use. Definitely do not bring 1 vial each that is just asking for one to get dropped in the ocean.

6. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

kk I will definitely bring more than one each and i'll look into getting a frio..my pharmacy sells them I think. And it's a 4 day cruise..

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

You'll have fun! :) We love cruising.

Disney offered to store our insulin in their fridges on the cruise ship, but I didn't. I wasn't comfortable having it where we couldn't get to it whenever we wanted. We brought our open vial (separated into reservoirs), and an unopened vial of Novolog. Then just one vial of Lantus. We kept ours in the room but not in a fridge. We did bring the FRIO for when we were out in the hot weather on excursions and stuff. My son's insulin needs practically double on cruises, so prepare for that just in case. (Yours might be less, but just throwing it out there that it possibly could go up.) It was mostly during the night, I think the "stress" of the ship moving and trying to compensate for that? I don't know. During the day it wasn't quite as bad with the higher amounts, probably because of the activity.

Bring double whatever the supplies that you would normally use in that time period. When you leave the ship for excursions, make sure you have enough for that whole time, because sometimes it takes a long time to get back to your room from wherever you end up.

8. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

We just did a 5 day cruise in August in the Bahamas on Royal Caribbean. We did have a refrigerator in our room, but we were told when we talked to their special needs department that they will store insulin if we needed. They also provided a sharps container.
    DS was on MDI at the time, with Lantus and NovoLog, so we just took an extra of each one.

Also, take an extra meter with you. I read that on a cruise message board the day before we left and I stuck one in the bag. Guess what died 2 days into our cruise? The meter. If we didnt have a backup, we would have been in a world of hurt.

Also, make sure you have a passport. If you are in the Bahamas and something happens, you can't fly home without a passport. If there was an emergency, the State Department could help you, but that just prolongs how long you will be there while you need medical help.

Go, have fun, and let us know how it went. DS had an awesome time and is already asking when the next one is!

9. AmyJoeBut

AmyJoeBut Approved members

We just did our first cruise this past July. We took our opened bottle of insulin and one extra, plus lots of extra lancets, test strips, syringes and an extra meter. We used just about the same amount of stuff that we use at home, but it made me feel better having extras.

We cruised on Norwegian to Bermuda and they had us fill out a form for his special needs (he also has celiac) and they made sure we had a fridge in our room and a sharps container. I would recommend touching base with the cruise ship to see what they can do for you.

We also bought a frio pack for when we were on the island and have used it a bunch even after the cruise. I definitely recommend getting one.

Good luck!
    Amy

10. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Another question. Anyone ever do the Atlantis excursion? Did a waterpark in the summer and just put my insulin in a cooler but with a cruise I'm not sure how that would work.

Also is there anything with MDI that shouldn't go through the X-ray machines like the pens. Mine aren't the disposable pens but reusable so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.