- advertisement -

Cruise Trip Insurance

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by flmom66, Oct 14, 2013.

1. flmom66

flmom66 Approved members

Has anyone cruised and purchased trip insurance for their Type 1? We are taking a 7 day cruise in January, and I am interested but noticed many exclude pre-existing conditions. If you purchased, who did you buy it from? Thanks for your help-our first cruise post diagnosis was quick and not too far from home. This is a little farther, so I am getting nervous!!!

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I haven't cruised with my T1, but we have one pending and we cruise a lot with our in laws and my mother in law has many pre-existing conditions, so we always just get the same insurance as her. Travelguard Gold is the one that we are using this time and the one that comes to mind that we've used 4 or 5 times. I think it's the midlevel one. It definitely does not come with a "cancel for any reason" clause. That's extra.

The trick with the pre-existing conditions is that you have to purchase the insurance within a certain time after making the initial deposit. I think it's two weeks or something. But, with a cruise as long as you are outside of the "cancel and lose money" window, I'm fairly certain (double check this if it applies to you) you can cancel, then rebook at the prevailing rates and start your window over. www.insuremytrip.com is a great resource for travel insurance.

I have never had to file a claim with travel insurance, so I can't vouch for prompt payment or anything like that.

3. KellersMom517

KellersMom517 Approved members

We used insuremytrip.com also and ended up with the Travelguard Gold. I just asked the agent what insurance would cover cancellation from T1. As long as your child is healthy at the time of booking, and you book within the timeframe (I think its 15 days once you've made the INITIAL payment on your cruise/trip). Its a short time frame for some reason, so make sure you are on the ball :) But it wasn't that expensive, I think my $5000 trip was about $160.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I guess I am trying to understand the justification for this as related to Type 1. What is it that you think might happen related to Type 1 that would cause you to cancel your trip? The only thing I can think of is if your child was hospitalized. Is this a realistic possibility for you? I know sometimes children need to go to the hospital for DKA but it seems like a long shot. Do you normally get insurance when you go on vacation? In case you get in a car accident and break your legs, or you have to have gallbladder surgery? But if you feel the insurance is is a good use of your money, and it gives you a feeling of security, then that is great. Just trying to add another perspective and maybe save you some money.

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We have cruised once since DD's dx. We purchased insurance with pre-existing conditions from our AAA travel agent at the time we booked our cruise. We are taking an Alaskan cruise with Disney next year. It was relatively inexpensive compared with the entire cost of the cruise. I just feel better knowing that we are covered is she gets sick and has to be hospitalized.

Usually pre-existing insurance needs to be purchased within 2 weeks of your deposit on your cruise. You can try insuremytrip.com and see what you can find.

6. mamattorney

Cruises are particularly tricky beasts when it comes to vacations, I think. We always get insurance when we cruise, but never seem to get it for other vacations (it didn't even cross my mind to get it for our Disney trip over the summer). Even though we fly in the night before, I still like to be insured in case of cancellations/delays/other issues if we miss the ship's departure and have to catch up at the next port. Also in the back of my mind is if someone got really, really sick in the middle of the ocean, there's a guaranteed helicopter flight to the ER that will cost a ton of money and I want as many pockets as possible to dip into to help pay that! And now that my daughter has a pre-existing condition, we may as well cover that (esp if I want someone else to pay for that airlift) is my opinion.

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

We use Frontiermedex for what I guess would be considered trip insurance. I believe it covers evacuation (for medical, natural disaster, political or security reasons) and assistance as needed while traveling. The university my mother works for pays for it and it covers all of our travel 100 miles or more from our permanent residence (dependents are covered until 25). I am not sure if it is something an individual can buy just for one trip.

We have only had to deal with lost luggage and similar minor issues while traveling so I can't really speak to their ability to handle complex issues. But I have heard from people who have had to be evacuated from various places due to political unrest or similar security related issues and frontiermedex apparently did a great job.

We have never used trip cancellation insurance. I would personally be more concerned with medical evacuation insurance depending on where you are traveling. I would also check if your employer offers some form of group coverage for this since in that case preexisting conditions often don't matter. I know my mom's university does not really advertise that they offer this (we only learned about it because my mom travels internationally for work and was reading the insurance info and realized the whole family was covered!) but it is totally free once you fill out the paperwork in our case which is awesome!

8. flmom66

flmom66 Approved members

Thanks all! My worries were not so much the cancellation risk, it was the possibility of needing a med evac from Mexico or Belize due to a diabetes issue. Purely peace of mind for me.

9. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Travelguard Gold is also what we got on our August cruise. For us, it was the "medical evacuation benefits" that made the $126 (to cover 2 adults and a T1D child) worth it. IT had up to $500,000 in medical evacaution benefits. If something had happened to him on that trip, I want him back in the US to be treated and that can get very expensive, very fast.
    And as another person said, make sure you pay for your trip insurance when you pay your deposit (or that your travel agent does it if you're using one). I wouldn't cruise without a policy ever again.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This thread is really interesting. I've never even considered this... granted, in almost 11 years we've never had a situation we couldn't manage at home and we don't cruise... never thought about this form of insurance before and we travel a fair amount.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea, if you think you need trip insurance for a trip for D then I suggest you don't take the trip.

$0.02

EDIT: ^^ Cheaper than insurance.

12. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I think I read the question differently; "How can I get trip insurance for my type 1 kid?" Considering the various pre-existing clauses in most travel insurance policies it is a valid question. Hence my suggestion to see if the poster's employer offers this as a benefit.

Anyway, we have no idea where this cruise is going. A cruise to Florida/the Bahamas is a lot different than a cruise in the Indian Ocean near Somalia (I personally adore the Seychelles). For travel to some parts of the world it is really not a responsible option to not have evacuation insurance (though obviously that is just my personal opinion)--- not just for medical reasons but for security reasons as well. And with pre-existing conditions it can be extremely difficult to get evacuation insurance.

That's my $0.02 anyway :cwds:

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I suppose it's a mindset - we went to SA and flew into a remote part of Kruger Park just at the edge of Zimbabwe and honestly, I didn't even pack advil. My life experience with D is that crazy **** almost never happens and when it does we can manage it. I don't consider my D kid to be some sort of ticking time bomb. She gets insulin and she goes on. Nothing to see here.

14. swellman

swellman Approved members

You're absolutely right that I read that wrong. However, in the end, the result is the same ... isn't it?

15. mamattorney

Trip insurance is never a waste of money for a cruise in my opinion, even when you are just cruising the Carribbean. Your vacation is a moving target.

You break your ankle falling down a set of stairs during your Las Vegas land vacation? You head to the urgent care/ER and they set your ankle and you rejoin the fun several hours later.

You break your ankle falling down a set of stairs while in port in St. Maarten during your cruise vacation? You head to the urgent care/ER and they set your ankle and you rejoin the fun several hours later. Unless of course, your timing wasn't quite right and the ship has left and is headed to Aruba. Then you're stuck paying for a hotel for a night or two plus a last minute flight to Aruba to rejoin the fun.

Paying for that out of pocket? No thanks.

About 5 years ago my daughter cracked a tooth in a waterslide incident on a cruise ship. After some blood and tears all seemed fine. The next day, while ashore in St. Thomas, she almost choked on 3/4 of the tooth when it completely broke away from the rest. We had no idea whether we needed to go to a dentist for emergency treatment or what. Luckily we were able to get a hold of her regular dentist and determined that since the cruise was almost over, she didn't appear to be in agony, and we could get her to the regular dentist within 48 hours, we didn't have to take her to a local dentist.

But the tooth fell out about 2 - 3 hours before sailaway; I highly doubt we could have found a dentist to treat her and have her tooth treated in that amount of time. We would have been in that exact position described above - and if we couldn't get to San Juan with 24 hours, we would have also missed our flight home and would have gotten stuck paying for another flight from San Juan to O'Hare for 2 people.

I consider the $2-300 travel insurance costs money well spent every time. You just never know. And if you have a person with a preexisting condition, well, it's like everything else. The insurance company would have probably found a way to blame the tooth issue on her diabetes if she had been diagnosed at the time and we didn't have the waiver.

I guess when it comes to cruises, particularly since I'm frequently trying to get out of O'Hare in the middle of winter and my vacation is going to leave without me if there is bad weather, I'm very risk adverse.

16. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Our cruise was our first big vacation since diagnosis...it was also the first time we've left the country with him. When we travel to CA to see my sister next month, I will not have travel insurance. We truly felt the $120-something we paid was worth it for our peace of mind. If we cruise again next year, with or without him, we will pay for it again. There are many insurance/warranties that I don't buy into, but again, it was worth it for our peace of mind and if the original poster feels that way, she should do it as well. Maybe when I'm 11 years into this, I will feel differently :)

17. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We looked into it when we did our cruise. It also covers a lot of other things that can happen on a cruise, like the ship catching on fire etc. Yes the cruise line will help with some of that but trip insurance will cover any incidentals and hotel stays etc. Here is an article from Cruise Critic that gives some basic pros/cons and what is and isn't covered.

It's not just for what if's of T1 but many other things that can go wonky.

18. flmom66

flmom66 Approved members

Thank you to those who offered your insight. To those who just told us to stay home-not helpful, and really not the message I want to send to my T1 son. When he was diagnosed I told him that T1D didn't change what he could do, it just meant he needed to plan a little more. It's not much different than sending him to play with skittles in his pocket-it's all insurance. If it's not needed-great, but I've seen firsthand as a PICU RN what getting someone back to the States can cost, and am willing to get the insurance for peace of mind-I just hadn't found any that didn't have a pre-existing condition clause. I appreciate the leads you provided.