- advertisement -

Cruise tips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Dec 29, 2014.

1. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We're going on our first cruise and I've never traveled with my daughter in anything other than a car lol. I know ill need a mini fridge for extra insulin just in case the pump has an issue. Those of you that have taken cruises, how do bgs seem to run? Has anyone had their child stay in their kid camp daycare thing?

2. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

We went on a Disney cruise this time last year. Bring many more supplies than you think you need!

Also, I wouldn't recommend relying on an in-room fridge on the ship. We froze our Frio packs solid on a different vacation last year using the hotel fridge. (Fortunately, the insulin itself didn't freeze.) I'll never rely on an unfamiliar fridge again. If you have Frio packs, maybe just keep them "charged" outside of the fridge. Or, the infirmary may have a trustworthy fridge.

BG's actually seemed fine...nothing stands out. We did let DS go in the kids camp. It was kind of chaos, though.

Good luck and enjoy!

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

We've been on lots of cruises, only one with D though. We didn't use the fridge, just relied on the 30 days out of the fridge is OK rule. My daughter's BGs ran really high from dinner through the night until I could get them down (usually around 3:00am). I had no idea why at the time, but now I think its because I didn't replace the basal that she lost from all the pool and beach time. Her numbers were fine during the day, so I just left it alone and I think that it was a mistake. She definitely used a LOT more insulin than I thought, but she didn't use any more sites or dexcom sensors or anything else.

4. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

We too are leaving on our first cruise with diabetes in 3 weeks. We've never done a cruise with D before, but we have done Disney, and I anticipate it being a lot better on the cruise. With Orlando and disney, food choices are limited to whatever restaurant you're in, and often laden with extra fat. There will be lots of choices on a cruise so we can keep better control right from the start. I can't offer you personal experience on cruising until after we get back, but I can tell you what we plan to do. We are bringing 2 or 3 times the insulin we need and we will bring Frio bags for shore excursions, but will keep the insulin at room temp in our cabin - not relying on the in-cabin fridge to keep it cold but not frozen. I am bringing the Calorie King pocket edition and also bringing our digital food scale - it's pre-programmed with tons of foods.
    My kids never liked the kids club on cruises much, but prefer to hang with us in the pool, playing bingo, etc. so I can't speak to that. I have heard the kids club will give you a phone in case they need to contact you with a diabetic child.
    I have also read on this board that on vacation, people have estimated their carbs, then added a few extra units because they seemed to under-estimate carbs (I know I likely would).
    Overall, I think there will be a lot of guess work, but that's okay, it's only a week or so. We're just going to do our best, treat the number, have lots of fun and get back on track when we return.

5. Sprocket

We're back to report on how we made out on our cruise. I was pleased that we did much better than last year's holiday in Disneyworld where she ran high all week. I felt more confident to correct and keep things better controlled.
    So, our cruise was 9 days long and for the first 3 days, her insulin requirement was waaay down to the point that I decreased her basal. I'd dose her for dinner and she'd plunge low. I think it was due to all the walking on the ship and activity - we never stopped. After that time, insulin needs greatly decreased and I increased her basal because she started running high. I think likely due to the increased carbs and different way (more frequent for sure) we were eating. We corrected a lot, but I tended to keep her a big higher than usual when we were in port because of all the swimming and increased walking etc.
    Overall, it worked pretty well and it was great because there were so many food choices. We found eating in the dining room vs. the lido was the best because I could guestimate more accurately. We brought a big selection of drinks for her so she wouldn't feel deprived of good drinks on board (only diet 7up and diet coke on our ship).
    Overall, had a great time. Her blood sugars weren't great, but they weren't terrible either. Back to school and back on track today.

6. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

Great to hear!!!!

Agree with not using the cabin fridges.......from experience my insulin froze. I did however next cruise bring my extra stash to the health center and they gladly stored it for me in their temperature controlled fridge for the duration of our cruise.

As for supplies - I always bring about 2-3 times more than I need - with all of the water activity, they are bound to fall off.

7. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Sprocket, thanks for reporting back on your cruise experience. We are going on a 7 day cruise this April. I will plan on bring 3 times the supplies.

I saw that you were planning to bring your digital food scale to the trip. Did you? Did you get good use out of it? Did you bring it to the restaurants? How did that work out?

I am thinking of bringing our food scale as well. But I don't know how my 11 year-old daughter will feel if I weigh all her food on the table with other people there. So, I am curious how practical it is with the food scale, and if you are glad that you brought it along.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Wash hands a lot...seriously.

Would you consider doing untethered? We do this on beach vacations and in the summer. We do a dose of Levimere in the am, unplug and then for when the Lev starts wearing off, she gets a small amount of basal overnight.

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Along this line - I'm thinking about cutting the cord and getting her an omnipod for our next cruise in June to resolve the missing basal issue.

10. Sprocket

D.D. is not on a pump - she's on MDI - Levemir and Novorapid.
    We never used the fridge in the cabin. I just took my triple supply out of my fridge the day we left and left it at room temp. throughout the cruise. I brought it back and kept it out of the fridge to use up first before the 30 day expiry is up. I did however, use a frio pouch for port days. I took her Levemir and rapid both (in case something happens we dont make it back to the ship) and an extra cartridge of each in the frio. They stayed at a perfectly cool temp - not too hot.
    I chuckled as I unpacked the digital food scale. Never used it once. I used the Calorie King book a few times, but otherwise, made a good guess. We're pretty decent at carb counting by now. I knew roughly how many carbs were in say fruit salad, a roll, fries, pizza, baked potato, bread, pasta, etc. and guessed. If I was off, we corrected (a lot). I am conservative in my dosing - too conservative, but I'd rather see her a bit higher than worry that she's going to take a plunge somewhere.
    I also carried a bag with me at all times with dex 4's and her glucometer. We were at the show one evening when she started feeling really low and I went quickly for some OJ at a bar. I felt more prepared carrying that around in case we were at the other end of the ship (which we were at that time).

11. NeurosurgeryNP

I did get the omnipod (cut the cord promotion) this specific reason.....to go untethered on vacations, especially cruising with all of the water activities, diving, etc. Works out well for me. Have had some failures with the pods, so not my choice for my primary pump but love being tubing free for vacations.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

I know this is not helpful but my son said "don't go" ... just don't go on a cruise. I'm of the same mindset.

13. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

Oh I love these tips. We are also going on a cruise in a few weeks. I have cruised before but not with my pump, and my daughter has never cruised and she has a Dex & pump too.

Has anyone taken advantage of the Animas extra travel pump?? With both of us on the Ping I thought taking along 1 extra might be a good idea?? If they still even do the loaner pump. I remember hearing about that 3 or so years ago.

I will also bring along plenty of extra insulin including long acting- I wouldn't have thought of that so thanks! And great tip about all the walking & swimming causing lows, I will remember that.

14. NeurosurgeryNP

I do get the loaner with MM - $50 fee, but the peace of mind is so worth it for me. With the OP, I get a loaner PDM from my local rep for the week. Also bring long acting.

15. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I'd like to do it BUT it was a little crazy when we tried to do this on one of our vacation. The last vacation, we just kept the pump on. It sucks to wear a pump on vacation but it's just easier because the basal Ipis down.. Going to lantus, I would have no idea where to start. I'm bringing it just in case though.

Why?