- advertisement -

Cross Country and diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Aug 1, 2012.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We are trying Cross Country but my son is having trouble not stopping during the 3 miles. He goes low about 1.5 mies in. I have tried turning pump down -50% one hour before the run. Also at same time giving the meal that was about 1.5 hour before giving about 15 carbs free. I bought some of those Jelly Beans for running. Not sure how easy it would be to keep eating those or tabs while running. Anymore ideas?

2. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My son uses a temp basal for the entire time of practice - 50 percent for two hours. He also had some G2 on the first day but it made him too high so we switched to water. He does carry everything on him - so he can stop really quick and check his BG - we got a slightly larger pouch than his spibelt to carry his meter, poker, strips, pump, and some glucose. The spibelt stuck out too much and was harder to get everything out of it when loaded.

You didn't say if you were only doing 50 percent less 1 hour before or during. If you have been extending the reduced basal through practice, I would try reducing the basal more. Also, check to see what number he is starting at. My son has to start at about 140 or higher on really hard days or long runs.

In another thread, someone mentioned having a water bottle with a handle designed to be held while running filled with gatorade. My son didn't think he would like carrying it around but it would be another way to sip something with sugar while running.

3. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Sometimes my DD has to carb up more than 15 carbs before Cross Country. It depends on her bg. She checks and then decides how many carbs it will take to keep her from going low. Sometimes it's as much as 45 uncovered.

We have found that Heather's "Gatorade Trick" works great for keeping the adrenaline highs away that she tended to get after running.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Cabs directly prior to the practice should do it. You can give him 15 to 30 carbs and see how it works. If he spikes, try the same snack with 1/2 the carbs covered.

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

My son has about 30 g uncovered before running and 25 g of GU every 4 miles or so. Working great. He's running a half marathon with us in a few weeks. He also runs with a Gatorade. Running uses tons of carbs!

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

another thing is increasing the type of carbs he's getting, make sure that it has protein and fat with it - not the carbs right before but maybe with his lunch meal. might try to increase the protein and fat intake there as a percentage of those slowly break down to usable glucose, too. I think it's 40% of protein and 20% of fat break down to available glucose over about a two hour period. So, if your child would be able to increase their fat/protein intake about two hours or so prior to practice it may help to keep BG up.
    For running DH doesn't like to drink too much to keep his BG up but really prefers the cliff bar shot bloks as they seem to get him up quickly and aren't too difficult to chew and run with.
    HTH

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Today for the first time ever I had a Bonk Breaker Bar. http://www.bonkbreaker.com

It was WONDERFUL! They are GF, the are now the official bar for the Ironman as well. It sat great in my stomach. They have 35g carbs and 8 grams of protein, which I LOVE the fact it has a little protein. I had it at mile 8 during my run and it lasted ALL they way back until mile 15. I checked my blood sugar at mile 12.5 and it was 111, so I had 2 tabs just to finish, but I don't think I needed them.

Very very highly recommended. I think that little bit of protein really helped rather than having straight sugar the whole way.

I also should share about Carson's first 10 mile run today. He woke up and bs was 100. He had a 40 carb bagel and only bolused 10 carbs. I turned pump down 50% for 2 hours. We started running about 20 minutes after he had the bagel. He sipped on 30 carbs of gatorade through the run and had a GU at mile 5 with 25 carbs. He checked his bs at mile 7.5 and was 140. Perfect. I don't know what he was when he finished 10 miles because I was still running. He had a huge bagel and powerbar after and bolused normal and when we left our training group he was 188 (About an 90 minutes after the huge snack).

So for a 10 mile run he ended up having 85g of uncovered carbs with a 50% basal reduction. That gives you an idea of how many carbs it takes to run!!!