- advertisement -

Cross Country and D

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jules12, Mar 6, 2012.

1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My son wants to go out for XC next year. I told him he has to run with his sister (who already runs XC) over the summer so we can get a handle on how to adjust for practices etc.

Anyone have any tips whose son/daughter with D has participated in XC? How did you ensure they had the things they needed while running? What type of bag or case did you use? He uses a spibelt now for his pump.

Thanks.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Bumping this.

We dont have any XC experience except for one 1 mile run that Steven did this past fall. We did carb him up with a peanut butter sandwich and milk before the run and my husband tested him before the run and had glucotabs at the ready. If youre on FB and have any of the guys from Team Type 1 I bet they could give you some great advice on how they deal with that type of exercise intensity and keeping BGs from dropping

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

4. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Just wanted to pump this and see how it is going. My son has been running with his sister but we do not officially have practice until school starts. I have been trying to figure out what to have available so that he can have it meter, glucose, strips, poker with him and feel safe but not have to have a "bag" since they run here and there. I did order some of these http://www.quicksticks.com/ because they seemed smaller and faster than glucose tabs.

Wondered what you are doing? Thanks for any input.

5. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

AJ uses the SPI belt for running to hold her supplies. Good luck to your son! I hope he loves the XC experience!

6. BrendaK

It's going great so far into week 3. They are running 7-9 miles per day. Wow.

I'm giving Carson a full breakfast bolus when he eats about 30 minutes before practice starts. He takes a hand held running water bottle that I fill with 30g of Gatorade and he sips on that the whole time. (You can get it at any sports or running store.) He takes his pump off for practice but runs with a spibelt that carries his Dex and GU and glucotabs.

So far he hasn't needed anything but the gatorade.

When he gets home 2 hours later we hook the pump back up and I have to give 50-100% of his missed basal.

Yesterday he didn't want to run with his gatorade (they were doing hill repeats) and he took 3 glucose tabs and came home at 100.

I was terrified of him running so much, but it is going better than I ever thought!

7. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

My daughter has run CC for 4 years. She absolutely loves it. She eats a high carb dinner (usually pasta) the night before a meet and she carbs up about 20 min. before running. Gatorade seems to work well or some cheese crackers. (she can't eat fruit before running or it makes her sick). She's only gone low once during a race. Then the coach encourages them to drink chocolate milk after running but we've found that the Glucerna shakes work better.

The problem we've had is the adrenaline high afterwards. My friend, Heather, had a solution that has worked out great for us.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=20211&highlight=gatorade+trick

Gatorade also works great with those swimming lows. We just set a bottle of it on the edge of the pool for my dd to sip on every once in a while.

8. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I know that my above reply was not the question you asked. Just giving you some information that works for us.

My dd does not like to carry anything with her while running but I bought a little pouch that ties onto her shoe laces that she can carry some tabs, pricker, strips in. Her meter is attached to her pump so that's all she needs. She's also tried the "arm thing" (like the "leg thing" but for your arm). It tends to move around, though, so it's not her favorite.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We loved the Cozmo meter! Does your daughter not have cramps from the gatorade or food? Ethan gets cramps if he has too much food , liquid in his stomach.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So Carson doesn't get ketones from pump being off 2 hours with exercise? We will have to try again. When taking off for soccer2 hours and all the exercise it caused ketones about 1.0 after

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I haven't been able to run for a while (shin splints, so frustrating) so I've been going to the gym instead and doing lower impact exercise (for the record, the elliptical is the most boring thing ever). When I ran I went on Amazon and searched "running belt". I found this one and I've been using it for a few months - it carries my meter, strips, lancer and tabs. I can put my phone in as well, but I don't usually take it. Most of my runs are short though (30 mins is my general time) so disconnecting the pump was no issue (I'm now partially untethered anyway, so I could go longer).

12. BrendaK

No he doesn't. But 2 hours is the limit, otherwise his blood sugar will start to go up. When he gets home after 2 hours, I have to replace most of the missed basal to prevent a high. Giving him a full breakfast bolus right before breakfast gets a dose of insulin in his body as well to prevent ketones.

13. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We have been playing around with switching to 1/2 his basal during practice. I don't think he could disconnect that long anymore without going really high - we had trouble with basketball.

He uses a spibelt for his pump - I am looking into either buying a larger belt or getting a pocket that will slide onto his spibelt. I don't like to put glucose tabs in with is pump in the same pouch. I really want him to have a small meter, poker, and strips with him as well as some type of sugar during practice.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012