- advertisement -

Cross-border moves with a pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cdninct, Jan 23, 2013.

1. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We are seriously considering returning to Canada after having been in the US for a few years. DS was diagnosed here, and we started pumping here, so we have an American Medtronic pump. I am wondering whether we will have any problems with servicing/warranties/insurance using the pump in Canada?

I realize I need to get in touch with Medtronic, the provincial government, and my company insurance plan to get things fully figured out, but I wonder if anybody has any personal experience with cross-border moves that they could share? Am I missing any other considerations?

On the plus side, maybe we'll wind up getting a new pump a couple of years early!

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

You might want to check on BG reading values. I believe the US and Canada use different measures (mg/dl vs. mmol/L). This can impact meters, strips, and thus input into the pump for bolusing.

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Thanks, Jeff!

While I have never actually done it, I am fairly confident that I know how to change from mg/dL to mmol/L on the pump. Sadly, our meters cannot be converted, so we'll have to switch those out.

Now, trying to memorize the conversion ratios will definitely be a headache, especially since I'm sure that there will be a period where we will be using devices with different units and having to do things mentally!

4. momofone

momofone Approved members

If you have an iPhone there is an app by Pancreum that will do the conversion for you. We are in Canada but use a Dexcom from the US and that is what I use. It was the only app I found that will do it.

5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

There is a possibility that the Canadian Minimed pumps communicate in a different frequency than the US Minimed pumps. The same goes with the meters and the CGM transmitters that communicate with the Minimed pumps.

I read online about somebody moving from the UK to the US--and--they had to get a brand new pump--outside the warranty--because the pump transmitted in a different frequency.

Basically the individual had a UK (EU approved/version) Minimed CGM transmitter and pump. The transmitter for the (UK/EU version) CGM broke and Minimed would not send the person a UK version of the transmitter that was compatible with his/her pump, since it was not licensed with the US FCC (note how there is a FCC ID on the back of the pump and transmitter). Basically the UK transmitter, pump, and meter, transmit in different frequencies than the comparable US items. The person was then forced to get a new pump. It actually is illegal for Medtronic to send a UK pump, transmitter, and meter to a person with a US permanent address because the wireless component(s) of those devices do not have FCC IDs.

A way to work around this issue (of the pump or CGM not being "fully" warrantied when you do not have a US address) is to get a mail forwarding service, that has an address in the US--and to always call the US Medtronic customer service number, giving the US mail forwarding service's address.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013