- advertisement -

Crazy numbers lately!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by msschiel, Jan 3, 2016.

1. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

We had such a great first month on the pump and now things have gone totally crazy! He either had a slight bug right before Christmas (remember the nurse making me pick him up for a 99.4 temp and 202 sugar) or a growth spurt. Glad the constant lows are gone, but now we are battling constant higher numbers. Our schedule was so out of whack over Christmas break (going to bed late, getting up later than normal, snacking more than normal, not eating as consistently, etc).

Yesterday we went out for breakfast and he was pretty good with his sugar number as was lunch. For dinner we had burgers and not too long later he was 44 (with not much activity). Ate some graham crackers and milk 2 hours later (8:00 p.m.) he was 313. Checked at midnight 273, so I corrected. Checked about 50 minutes and he was 337, so I corrected again. Checked at 3 and and he was 240 and I corrected again. Checked again at 5:30 and he was 158, so I just let that ride. When he woke up for church he was 205 and hasn't been out of the 200's yet! Been running temp basals (didn't think about that last night because I was tired). We changed his site (he was due today anyways) and was still running a bit high after that. The insulin was just opened on 12/30.

His Basal/Bolus ratio is around 40/60. I have to write down his basal rates so I have them on hand. We have an endo appointment on Tuesday, so I am anxious to see what the PA has to say. I thought about asking for samples of other infusion sets, too. We are using the animas 6mm right now.

I am just frustrated because we had such a good start and now things are throwing me for a loop. I am looking at Dexcom options. We don't have Iphones, and our bedroom is too far away from his (he sleeps in a finished basement with his brothers) to hear alarms. What are my options?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. msschiel

Just got an 85 for bedtime snack and finished up a temp basal of 150%. Will definitely be checking over night to make sure everything is okay.

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Sophie had fabulous numbers during the first week of break, but then we had a blizzard and her physical activity went to nearly nothing. Lots and lots of highs.

4. msschiel

Had great numbers at midnight and 3, will wait to see what he wakes up at.

5. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

We have been the same more or less during Christmas. Nothing makes sense. Hope we'll be going back to normal soon.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Same here. Absolutely total volatility and unpredictability. Now we get back into the school routine and things will be nutty for a few days too. Hang in there!

7. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

I feel your pain! Our bedroom is too far away to hear my son's alarms too. Someone had suggested a baby monitor and it works great! Since my son has a solid wood bunk bed, I attached the baby monitor upside down and hung the Dexcom from a Command strip right in front of it so I am sure to hear the alarm. I only paid about 15 dollars at Walmart for the cheapest monitor and we were up and running. We have been going through the same thing that you are. He has been pretty stable during the day, but at night we have been fighting stubborn highs in the 200's as well. I get up, test, correct, get up, test, correct...etc. Not quite sure what is going on because he isn't eating anything out of the normal, so my guess is hormones. It started about two days before Christmas...highs, even during the day that just won't come down. After Christmas though, the numbers began to get more stable again, except at night. I think the highs were from the excitement of presents, goodies and family visits... but now that is all over, the highs at night have me baffled. I am just doing the best I can to see if it is a trend or just a weird bump in numbers. If it continues for more than a week, I will know to adjust his numbers. I hope things get better for you soon. Let me know if the baby monitor works for you. :)

8. msschiel

We don't have a DEX yet, but I will discuss it with his dr. tomorrow at his endo appointment. He was pretty good today, but I have a feeling we may have to up his basals. He seemed to do better a bit closer to 50/50 instead of 40/60. I wouldn't have thought of a baby monitor though. I will keep that in mind if and when we do get a Dex.

9. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Honestly I would wait until he's been back in his usual routine for a couple of days to consider changing things. Vacations just bring too many variables. I think there's often kind of a stacking effect to less activity or carbier and fattier foods. One meal or lazy day doesn't do so much but when you string them together you see a cumulative effect. Give it a few days to wear off and then see where you are.

10. msschiel

Good point.

11. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

I would highly recommend getting a Dexcom system if at all possible because it will change your life for the better. I began actually sleeping again once when I had Dex on my side. The baby monitor works great though. There was no way I could hear his pump alarms, especially when he's laying on it or bundled up under all those blankets. The Dex is the only alarm that works for us so far. Hope the numbers settle down for you soon and I would definitely give it a few days before changing the basals or anything...could just be out of the normal routine that is reeking havoc. Good luck and hope you can get a Dex. Take care!