- advertisement -

Counting fiber as a carb?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tina, Jan 8, 2012.

1. tina

tina Approved members

Hello,

First-thank you all so much for your help over the last several months. Being a parent of a newly dignosed little one is so overwhelming, so having a resource to go to for answers is so fantastic. By reading asnwers to my questions and others questions I have learned so much. I was contacted by my DIL about another little girl recently diagnosed and the first place I sent them to was this forum.

So the question for today-how do you count fiber as a carb? A friend, dealt with Type II diabetes, and was told to ignore the fiber, as it is nondigestible. However the endo said we should look at total carbs and include the fiber.

Then as i read the forum, I came across someone who noted ignoring fiber.

Most of the time it isnt a huge amount, but every now and then the fiber may be the majority of the carb content and I just want to make sure I dont overtreat in those instances.

Thanks!
    Tina

2. jkjones37

jkjones37 Approved members

We are only 2.5 months into this but our endo told us to count the carbs and if the item has fiber in it we are to take half of the fiber off of the carbs .

For example, if something says 16 carbs but has 6 grams of fiber. We take half the fiber (3 grams) off of the 16 carbs and count it as 13 carbs instead. Same with sugar alcohol.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Fiber is defined as indegistable carbohydrate and when doctors tell you not to subtract fiber its probably because they think it's too hard. It also won't matter much if your meals have the same proportion of fiber and you're consistantly not substracting it.
    But if your insulin: carb ratio is based on the assumption that you're counting fiber, if you suddenly don't count fiber you may take too much insulin- you might need a different carb ratio.

I have been subtracting the fiber from the get go.

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

EDIT oops weren't any replies when I started typing. Looks like folks beat me to a better explanation.

5. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Hi Tina,

We were told to do:

Total Carbs - Dietary Fiber - 1/2 Sugar Alcohols = amount to bolus for

As far as I know some folks subtract fiber, some don't. So I would imagine consistency is what is most important - whatever you do, if your numbers are working, just keep with it. If you don't subtract fiber and the numbers go low, then you may want to reconsider your formula. :cwds:

6. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

At diagnosis we were told to subtract all the fiber, that was in 2009. When we went to our pump training in September, we were told to only subtract half the fiber now. The dietician said that was the new way everyone was being taught because while fiber isn't digestible some people continue to be sensitive to the carbs it has. I'm a bouncer now which probably isn't good. If it's a food he has always eaten we continue to subtract all the fiber. If it is a new product we subtract half.

Like the other poster, we subtract half the sugar alcohols as well. That being said, we just received a list of sugar alcohols and which ones mimic sugar more closely. The dietician said we should use caution subtracting these since some people respond to these as if they are sugar and not a sugar alcohol. She looked it up for us because it seems like certain dietvsodas cause my son's BG to rise. She said to look into what is being used as the sweetener.